Here's a wierd one to look out for

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2000, 10:17 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Hey all.

A real wierd car on the M1 last night. Had been caning it all day, so R19KET, Pat and Boyo Fisher are taking it easy on the way home, southbound on the M1. Driving past a black Omega with blacked out windows, chrome alloys and altered suspension wth jacked up rear (!). We have a right old laugh at it with Rugmuncher (Simon), looked like it had come straight outta a gansta rap video. Anyway, Mark goes past it, then me, doing about 90-100mph, pull into middle lane, then the blue lights come on, hidden away in his grill. It was only a momentary flash, but he overtook me and went straight for Mark. I'm on the phone to Mark like a shot "Mark, hang up and slow down, thats a copper behind you!"

Was a close call as he had Mark in his sights. The lengths the police will go to in aid of a crafty booking eh?

Anyway, this was around J5 M1, so be on the lookout folks. If yu think you see Snoop Doggy Dogg on the M1, make sure youre not smiling for the camera.

Cem
Old 08 May 2000, 10:23 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cem

Check for incoming

James
Old 08 May 2000, 10:29 PM
Rugmuncher
Scooby Newbie

it was also on a private plate, something like ** ***(was on the phone to r19cket at the time so might not be spot on)

keep those eyes peeled.

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 19 November 2000).]
Old 08 May 2000, 10:37 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Wink

Was it a 'Nee Naa' car in the end? Or some prat with their alarm lights rigged up behind his grille because their total dumb a**es

Seen that happen before...
Old 08 May 2000, 10:45 PM
Rugmuncher
Scooby Newbie

pretty confident it was one of the boys in blue.
Or the biggest muppet the world has ever seen!!
Old 08 May 2000, 10:47 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thinking about it, I wish I took the number plate and informed the police and confirmed it anyway.
To quote the late Benny Hill, "Learning all the time"

Cem
Old 08 May 2000, 11:04 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Talking

Had a strange encounter myself earlier this evening traveling home on the M40 South bound. About 6 miles short of Warwick, coming under a bridge saw a chap standing next to his car watching the traffic. As usual for M40 it was moving fast, but I was wary of him and started to ease of when I saw him. Dropped to about 80 - 85, and let a couple of cars behind me start to look like they were travelling faster ( subtle trick I've developed ). When chappy suddenly pegs it over to the other side of the bridge as I got closer. Lifted right off dropped to 75 under the bridge.

I'd swear he was either filming or using a speed camera, anyway by the time he was set up on the other side I was tucked in front of a lorry with about 10 rep mobiles hurtling past at 90 +... feel safe, or was he after a scooby scalp...
Old 09 May 2000, 12:45 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Omegas have the blue tinted HID headlamps as standard. I'm always spotting them and thinking their plod. Same with Audis and Mercs, but the Omega's seem the bluest.
Old 09 May 2000, 09:56 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Red face

Tim W:-

That part of the M40 has more than its fair share of mobile radar traps.

Saw Plod standing on a bridge, doing exactly what you were saying, however had a good look and he was using a laser speed gun on the traffic.

Mind You I went past him @ 90 but was in middle lane, by this time as I clocked him just in time.

Also chap at work, hacking up M40, goes past a Plod standing on the hard shoulder, just past a bridge, next to his Bike, laser gun again, matey goes past @ 100+ clocks the plod and lifts off, plod throws gun into saddlebag, gets on bike, and CATCHES matey up a couple of mins later.....

Booked 102mph, 2 week ban blah blah......

Never heard anything like it, but was in same area, must be a jobsworth plod methinks.....

[This message has been edited by Dr Hu (edited 09-05-2000).]
Old 09 May 2000, 11:44 AM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Is it poss that it was just a flash of blue tinted driving lamps or headlight bulbs???

Very popular with the max-boys

I know these have had me jump once or twice......
Old 09 May 2000, 12:04 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Cem,

Thanks for the call, I owe you one. Just in case it was the boys in blue.

Glad we were just cruising back .

It was a fun evening, ducks and all !!!!.

Mark.
Old 09 May 2000, 01:31 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

I know that the police like to use unmarked police cars and <I>unmarked</I> police cars , but I think they are governed by the same basic regulations that we are. In other words, they can't use a car whose windows are tinted so much that they are illegal. It's the same as with headlights, etc., their cars have to be road legal just like ours.

As a separate gag, has anyone ever tried driving up the motorway at 65mph? If you have one passenger, it's surprising how slowly people overtake you! Of course, the thrill wore off pretty quickly, but it was fun at the time...
Old 09 May 2000, 02:24 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

David,

I have an extra mirror in my car so my passengers can enjoy the ride a bit more, it's really a hangover from my IAM days.

I suppose that it could be, possibly, mistaken to be something other than a simple civilian car... especially when travelling at 70mph on the motorway... oh well.

Moray
Old 09 May 2000, 02:29 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Mark,
No worries mate,

Guys, I know a blue headlit Omega when I see one, this had blue police lights in its grill.
Cem
Old 09 May 2000, 06:48 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Blowdog et al, I agree with DavidRB, if the Police are operating a car with over-tinted windows, then they themselves are in breach of the law, and at the very least you may be able to get off a prosecution due to a technicality (as in the Chief Super not very happy!).

Tim W, that is kinda worrying, because normally i consider the M40 from Warwick to the M42 relatively Police free (and no junctions until the very end) - not that i would ever break the speed limit mind

WARNING - i just caught the TV news this morning, and there was something about the West Midlands Police having a BIG purge in speeding (along with stock foot-age of laser guns). They will be playing heavy for at least a month - probably due to the fine weather (strange how they never have traps in the rain, when it _is_ dangerous to speed!).

mb
Old 09 May 2000, 07:01 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

I know that you can buy blue "pace car" lights which are illegal but maybe someone in an Omega has fitted them...

The "blacked out" windows I also think rules it out as a police car - they normally remove the rear head restraints to improve visibility...

?

Gavin
Old 09 May 2000, 07:22 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

To add to the above about West Mids having a 'Speeding Campaign', this also includes Warwickshire, Northamtonshire, West Mercia & Central Motorway Police Group.

ANYONE caught is likely to face a ticket.

S
Old 09 May 2000, 07:55 PM
ChrisB

These 'speeding campaigns' are all right but do they actually catch more people or is it all Hype?

I drove from Stoke-on-Trent down to Feltham (next to Heathrow) a week or so ago. Used the M40 from the M42 down to the M25. Don't think I went under 80 all the way and I was getting overtaken by a lot of people.

If the Plod booked everyone speeding they wouldn't be able to cope with the paperwork! The Post Office wouldn't collapse under the amount of post!

Chris.
Old 09 May 2000, 09:09 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

West Midlands y'say?

Bummer - I was just getting used to 18mpg :-(

PS, any, er, Golf fans at the Belfry last Tuesday night - saw quite a few scoobs there. What a 'kin blast that was.

R
Old 10 May 2000, 12:03 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

The information I have is that the certain police forces have begun a pyramid campaign wrt speed enforcement.
That is to say, that they are going to book people and use the revenue earned to buy new cameras. The ABD are more clear on this, and I would direct you to them for more details.
Strangely enough I was watching "So you think you are a good driver" last night. They stated that over a quarter of accidents are due to sleepyness. The police forces own information states that <10% of accidents have excess speed as the primary cause. Certainly started me thinking, perhaps "Speed Kills" is the wrong message. "Speed Earns us lots of money" more like.
Old 10 May 2000, 01:39 AM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

SO a speeding campaign eh?

By any chance this wouldn't be anything to do with a new fiscal year & having a new overtime budget to play with would it? Naww of course not!!!

Like I've said before on here: in Feb & March you have much, much less chance of being caught for speeding.
Hmm, wonder why eh? Run out of overtime budget then boys?

My average run to work = 5 traffic cars (say Sept/Oct/Nov)
Last 3 months unlikely to see even one.

Pathetic but true.

Good to know that road safety not money is paramount for our police forces eh?

Paul
Old 10 May 2000, 08:16 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Problems also come when budgets haven't been spent by february - and need to spent by end march or they lose them - hence why there are twice as many roadworks in Feb/Mar.
Old 10 May 2000, 10:56 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

GavinP,
I have seen a ralliart Gallant with blacked out rear window and 2 police officers inside.... I know because when I went past them, my wife smiled at the driver and he smiled back. I think she likes men in uniforms
Stu
Old 10 May 2000, 12:43 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Not exactly a car, but did you hear the one about the guy who was so miffed off with people speeding past his house that he'd stand there in black trousers and white shirt and point a hairdryer at them? Following a bunch of near accidents as people panic-braked, he was finally done for impersonating a police officer.

Sorry if that's old, thought I'd chuck it in!

BJH
Old 10 May 2000, 01:47 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I believe the figure is actually less than 4% of accidents are caused by excess speed! Sneezing at the wheel is a greater cause of RTAs! - Hayfever kills?
Old 10 May 2000, 06:35 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I have been asked to post the following, which i received via e-mail. It looks like useful information, and potentially a new member on the BBS...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Hi

Sorry to email you personally but I'm not registered on the Scoobynet BBS yet.
Perhaps you could add this info on my behalf...

They did a feature on this campaign on BBC midlands news yesterday evening, and
showed a row of cars which seemed to be the Warwickshire police video cars. One
was a green Scooby turbo. You could only see the front side view so I can't give
any more detail.

Julie (who currently drives a green 1994 5-door, but is swapping it on Saturday
for a new blue one)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>