Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

~~ Finally Genuine Sti WR Blue Mudflaps are here ~~

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2003, 02:23 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popped into the dealer this morning to have a petrol smell looked at, which turned out to be the petrol pump seal, post PPP and parts manager comes upto me and says

"Your mudflaps are in mate"

I thought he was winding me up as people on here have been saying Sti aren't making anymore

After getting some discount (Only been on order since Feb!) fitted them at home a piece of Pi$$. Took about an hour

Still very expensive for what they are but the do look cool

Old 16 August 2003, 04:05 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Any pics ???
Old 16 August 2003, 06:19 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Still very expensive for what they are
Too bloody right. When you can buy a DVD player with power supplies, amps, laser diodes, dacs, motors, video & sound processing and god knows what else for as little as £40 brand new, £400 for mudflaps is just plain ridiculous. But whilever there are idiots who'll pay those prices, there will be scoundrels who'll charge them. If we all dug our heals in and didn't buy any overpriced products for a year they would be forced to charge a fair price or go out of business.
They're worth £40, tops.
Old 16 August 2003, 06:48 PM
Madjay
Scooby Regular

just goes to show u subaru drivers are IDIOTS, but they do look nice and as long as ur happy
Old 16 August 2003, 08:15 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

What's with all the "Subaru drivers are idiots"....?

£400 is a lot of money for mud flaps, but they do look pretty damn flash when on the car, and I can safely say that after 18 months, my STI has no stone chips / door dings down the side of the car...

Compared with my last Scoob which looked like a Tetley tea bag down the tail end of the front wings..

If only I could get some a 7ft wide flap to stick on the front of the car to stop my bonnet chipping away like it does... Mind you, that'd cost 2 grand and then I would be "certifiable"..

Simon

Old 17 August 2003, 03:00 AM
Pleo
Scooby Newbie

Question

yep, would really love to fit a set (both front and rear) to my STi8 and 400 quid is past rediculous. I'm already getting chips down the side but it still doesn't warrant spending 400 smaker-roonies on 4 pieces of kitchen vinyl.

I really do need them (really bad road conditions around where i live) and I'm thinkinng about getting someone to specially make them for me and think I can get them for at least a third of the price and looking 99% same (with STi printed of course! ).

if it goes well and they're up to expectations would anyone be interested (not trying to make a business out of it but 400 quid is just a non starter no matter how badly they're needed). I'd really like to help guys like me fit flaps but at an acceptable price.

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers,
Simon

PS. as for getting chips on the front, try not drive bumper to bumper as this will really help! (it's the guy in front who's bringing up the stones!)

[Edited by Pleo - 8/17/2003 3:12:16 AM]
Old 17 August 2003, 03:52 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm sure that announcing your business venture on here will flout copyright laws on the STi logo. I'd suggest keeping it to yourself and close buddies.
Old 17 August 2003, 10:11 AM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day, it's all about time and patience.

If you are happy to wait until you have a set made, then fair enough. In the end though, the costs of repairing stone splattered wings is going to balance the costs.

When I fitted mine, I was using my car as a company car, doing 40,000 business miles a year. I needed them immediately. I reluctantly bought them at the time but I have no regrets now.

With Subaru' paint process, and that many miles, the front end chips have very little to do with driving too close to cars in front. It is just a fact of life driving a Scoob.

At the end of the day, each to their own... and be happy, I am

PS. What you are suggesting doing has been done before by others with some success I believe. Use the search facility and I think you will find information on supply of materials, to-scale drawings of front and rear mudflaps for a stencil and most importantly I guess, the costs involved...