Sponsored by:

Steering Locks

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2003, 05:13 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I got into my car today and had to give the steering wheel a bit of a wiggle as I turned the key, as I had unintentionally put the steering lock on.

These may be very daft, obvious questions but I have never paid any attention to the steering locks in any of my cars.

Does putting the steering lock on offer any added security to your car?

Will it simply take the git a little longer to nick it ? How much longer?

Would they have to mangle the steering column to release it?

I guess they can't be up to much or there wouldn't be a market for those dirty great lumps of metal people strap to their steering wheels, that said after recent events I am keen to keep 'my precious' as secure as possible so any info appreciated.

Old 08 August 2003, 06:31 PM
CavT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't rely on ANY steering locks. There are some out there that are very solid, and will resist sliding scaffold bars, but, most locks won't resist a slide hammer!

My Cavalier is armed to the eyeballs, I know it, my insurance company knows it, but, the toerags don't know for sure. I have the stickers in the windows, but maybe that alarm system is broken or replaced with a cheaper one?

To me, its not worth the aggro of having a £600 alarm and immobiliser if the toerags don't believe thats whats on the car. And some of the cheeky ***** will have a pop at the car until they can't get any further, in the meantime, they've caused hundreds of pounds of damage to the car.

Get a Disklock. Its a great visible deterrent, you can't get them off quietly, and then the toerag has to consider the following:

1). Do door locks
2). Do alarm
3). Do immobiliser
4). Do Disklock.

Even for a professional thief, that is more than 5 minutes work, they'll move onto something else.

Make sure you always turn your wheels towards the kerb on lock with the disklock on, that way, unless they are really organised, its more difficult to tow away.

Just a few thoughts that have stopped either of my 3 Cavalier Turbo's and 2 GSi's from ever being touched in Bristol.... The Vauxhall loving capital of the UK... and I don't say that in a nice way either!