Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I done at the weekend - Spec C...

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2003, 12:57 PM
Dodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about you, but I had a surprisingly interesting weekend. I'd rather embarrassingly managed to bash the geometry out, so had booked another session at Powerstation in Cheltenham.

I got there a bit early, and started chatting to a young chap washing a bright red scoob with a rather fetching S202 style spoiler.

Turns out, I was talking to a certain Mr Litchfield, of Litchfield Imports fame, and he was washing his new demo car, a rather fancy Spec C, limited edition. For those that haven't met him, he's a thoroughly decent chap, and a real enthusiast - we talked at length about his car, and my old Catalunya, and just as he was drying off the car, he asked whether I'd like to have a go. Of course, I said "no thanks" and made my way home.

Er, no, I said "Er, yes please, that would be most kind, although you should know that I couldn't possibly afford one at the moment".

Anyway, my car was put on the lift, the Powerstation guys began their magic, and I got a passenger ride out of town in the maddest vehicle I've ever been in.

The Spec C has the new hybrid twin-scroll turbo jobby, equal length manifold and a DCCD. Basically, this is supposed to mean less lag, and more power, but no burble, and the DCCD is the thing that means you can vary the active central diff between 50-50% lock, to 65-35% rear bias. Very cool. This one had a new exhaust, a stiffer anti-roll bar, and was remapped to cope with UK fuel, as are all Litchfield imports. He reckoned "Ooh 320 bhp+, maybe". The limited edition also has aircon and a few other niceties.

Through town, not it's best arena I would think, the Spec C is excellent - smooth engine, and a very compliant ride quality (far better than both the slightly wobbly WRX and stiff-as-a-tray STi.)

Upon reaching the d/c, he unleashed full beastiness - wow, foot down, revlimiter threatened! There didn't seem to be any acceleration, just a great cacophony of whirring, chomping, and gnashing noises and we simply stopped going 30, and started going 100+ (km/h!

My ~215 bhp standard MY98 is the fastest car I'd ever driven, and I don't know about you, but it's not so great at overtaking those annoying types that drive at 54 mph in a 60 - the traditional turbo lag and lack of midrange torque don't help.

The Spec C would appear to solve that problem - instant overtaking speed when ever you need it, no lag to speak of - it's like an NA car, and plenty of torque - and I've never seen a needle move as fast as the rev counter needle.

Then, he pulled over and we swapped places... I pulled away gently, on to the d/c and foot down, as one does. JEEEES-US!

When I first drove a scoob, I got such an adrenaline rush from the acceleration, it took about 2 hrs to wear off. This was compared to a 306 TD, that well known paragon of performance.

The shot I got from this thing was twice that and lasted all day, and was using my scoob as the baseline! I'm still smiling like a **** today...

I couldn't drive it for toffee, though - my car and I have a certain rhythm:
- "change, 1,2,3,4, change, 1,2,3,4 change...".

This thing was "change, 1, ****, change, fe-change-ck! change..". Amazing. It would take me a while to get used to not using all the throttle in every situation, and changing gear almost immediately. I just hope he didn't mind me bouncing it off the limiter so much - it wasn't on purpose.

Anyway, many cars can go fast, so what about when you look beyond the power?
- A nice clutch with a concise, firm gear change
- The excellent driving position we've come to expect
- Such a smooth ride, at any speed - it just soaks up the bumps and feels totally secure
- It corners far flatter than mine, with no lean to speak of
- Brakes! Its safe to say that it stops as well as it goes. Very sharp brakes, with an instant reaction
- No lag
- No burble - it's loud but less interesting to listen to. I would miss the old burble, but I'm more than willing to lose it for this car!
- The handling wasn't something I was about to explore, but he said it was at that Autocar thing the other day, and kept up with Takuma Sato in a new GT3, with Justin Wilson at the wheel! 110 mph powerslides were mentioned...

Summary:

I reckon it's the best car ever, ever. Far better than the WRX PPP, and even than the STi. If you're thinking of an STi, go see Iain about a Spec C today. If you're thinking about an STi PPP, go see Iain about a Spec C Limited edition. It might be a few pence more, but it's worth it, and Iain is a very approachable, friendly and helpful chap.

Oh, and yes, the Powerstation guys once again transformed my car into a fantastic drive. If you can't quite afford a new Spec C, go see these guys and get them to sort yours out too - you won't regret it!

Dan "saving up for a spec C"
Old 04 August 2003, 01:34 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

I had a go in the very same car on Friday whilst I was at Powerstation having some suspension mods done to my Sti7. I agree it is certainly an impressive beast. It must be the quickest and most entertaining Scoob yet and it better than an Evo VIII ): It is even good value at £28,000 for the limited version. It is as fast as a 911 GT3 around Rockingham and it costs less than half the price! If I hadn't spent so much modifying my STi7 I would probably think about changing, although I would miss the Scooby burble.

I would also like to thank Iain Litchfield for the experience. It is not often you get the chance to drive the very same car as driven by one current F1 driver, a former F1 driver and a British Touring Car champion.

Alan
Old 04 August 2003, 01:37 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Wink

Make that 2 people saving for a Spec C.
Old 04 August 2003, 04:24 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Excellent report.
I too am saving for a Spec C, but by the time I have saved £28k the MY10 would have arrived!
Did you happen to take any pics?
Old 04 August 2003, 05:41 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

I shall take some of mine when I get it in September

Now it's just the case of recovering from the outlay and saving for the exhaust to make it that little faster again!
Old 04 August 2003, 05:48 PM
Dodge
Scooby Regular

You lucky lucky bugger!