Sponsored by:

Speed Cameras in Scotland

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2000, 10:10 PM
Rum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Whats all this about then...???? Cameras every mile!!!...what a nightmare!!!

I couldn't believe it on Saturday morning heading north from Leeds to Murrayfield...you get over the borber and there must be a bloody camera every mile. Although I saw most of them coming - I think one got me just after a corner (sigh!)...then on Sunday coming home - thought I'd take a different route - came south on the A1 - more bloody cameras!!

Not going driving in Bonnie Scotland again....not unless old plod runs out of film!!!

Just thought I'd get that off my chest.

Anyway - this camera that zapped me - I was doing high side of 70, on an "A" road, national speed limit applied...what am I likely to get??...3 points???....

Rums not a hapy fella....6 points already....don't need another bunch.
Old 01 May 2000, 10:21 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

This wouldnt have been on the A68 would it ?

Travelled up on Thursday night for the track day, didnt see a single camera until we crossed the border, then there was one every 5 minutes
Old 01 May 2000, 11:07 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

Up here we dont use number plates....its for safety of course! You dont want to spend 50% of your concentration on speed cameras especially at some speeds!!

Those roads are terrible for it. It really messes me off

Steven
Old 02 May 2000, 12:02 AM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

The amount of times we travel up from englad at high speed and then come within say 40 miles south of glasgow and start to slow to lesser speeds as its ALWAYS here that u get caught! The a74 is a complete nightmare for cops hiding behind bushes and corners!

The aberdeen to dunblane route that i used to do on a regular basis has become a complete speed trap disaster. I set a fastest time on that route about 1.5 years ago and due to the amount of cameras i dont think that i will ever achieve it again.

I think we should steal the cameras and hold them to randsom!

Steven
Old 02 May 2000, 09:02 AM
JohnS

Most Scots coming up from England come up via the M6, A74 etc, as you can make much better progress, even though it longer distance wise.

There are also no speed cameras either!

You will find that the A68 probably has the highest density of speed cameras in the whole country, closely followed by the road between Dundee and Aberdeen. Outside of these areas, there are in fact very few other speed cameras, and none in the highlands where all the good roads are!
Old 02 May 2000, 09:29 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Talking

I say get your BEL 990 ordered before your next excursion to Jockland.

Got a BEL 980 myself and it gives you just about enough warning if its loaded.At least you won't have to slam on the brakes for unloaded and dummy flash cameras.Against the new 990 which tells you before you get in to the gatsos path.

...Ian.
Old 02 May 2000, 10:42 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Trouble is all the cameras we came across set the detector off, but dont know how many actually had film in luckily i wasnt driving, and we didnt get flashed anyway, but it was a pain.
Old 02 May 2000, 11:04 AM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

beware the M74 though - it is heavily policed (that would be experience talking )

Old 02 May 2000, 01:43 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Rum,

You'd need to be unlucky to hear anything at all. The A68 (Carter Bar to Edinburgh) has 20 Gatsos with only 2 cameras in use at any one time. The A1 (Berwick to Edinburgh) has 16 sites and 2 cameras. The A697/A698 (Coldstream to the A68) has 8 sites and 1 camera. It has been known for them to put cameras in Gatsos that don't have oscillators (so can't trigger anyway!).

The A7 (Carlisle to Edinburgh) doesn't have any cameras at all, nor does the A701 (A74 Moffat to Edinburgh) or the A702 (A74 Abington to Edinburgh). Plod is currently very keen on catching people doing 90+ (Speedwatch campaign on just now) so you still need to keep your eyes peeled.

Best of luck,

Brian
Old 02 May 2000, 07:17 PM
Smudge
Scooby Regular

I set off two on the A68 about 6 months ago and haven't heard anything - hopefully you'll have similar luck!

BTW, How's this for a horror story - a girl at work got done on the A1 between York & Cambridge - three times in one day!

13 points and £500 on a previously clean licence - yikes!
Old 02 May 2000, 07:52 PM
S55 DVM
Scooby Regular

I've been flashed four times between Aberdeen and Dundee, and never been done yet. I think you have something like a 1 in 8 chance of getting done (dummy camera, out of film, bad reflection, etc). Rather than slow down, I invested in a Bel Vector LR, works a treat.

By the way I don't condone speeding!

Later.
Old 03 May 2000, 09:36 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rum...good to see a fellow Rhinos fan on the BBS ?????
pity about the sad scoreline on the weekend, such is life.
(sit down if you hate the bulls)
Dan
Old 03 May 2000, 10:01 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Its fine being a Rhino when they win *S*....it was a good game tho...and they nearly won.....*tear in eye* it was my last trip out in ol'Scoobs *s*.....now got a courtesy car until the P1 arrives......nightmare!!!!

DantheMan - where abouts are you at?? Local to Horsforth???
Old 03 May 2000, 11:02 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

HunterB...if it flashes....does it mean there is a live camera in it???....scuse my ignorance *S*
Old 04 May 2000, 06:40 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rum*:
<B>HunterB...if it flashes....does it mean there is a live camera in it???....scuse my ignorance *S*[/quote]

No, dummy camera's flash twice as well.
Old 04 May 2000, 08:51 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Cheers Neil - will take a look...lets just hope for the best *S*
Old 04 May 2000, 09:55 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Rum, my Gran lives in Horsforth and I'm up there quite a lot, be there on the weekend infact (in my white van). Hall lane opposite the Black Bull if you know it ???.....
Old 04 May 2000, 01:22 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

DantheMan,

Yea I know Hall Lane - I'm at the bottom og Fink Hill - opposite 11th Earl pub...

might catch you in a bit

Old 04 May 2000, 01:51 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Gatso boxes have two holes in the back, generally blanked off by a similarly coloured (battleship grey) plate on the inside. I'm told that this is a reliable indication that there's no camera inside. If there's a camera present, the holes are more visible (may appear black rather than grey) or, as increasingly appears tobe the case in Scotland, you can actually see key-locks in the holes. I wasn't aware that there were many instances of people nicking the cameras from within the boxes but it's clear that the operators of the cameras are concerned about the cost of replacing them, so lock them in. This is probably why more and more cameras are being hidden behind road signs, so you can't see the back of the camera. Of course, a cynic might think that it's because they get more money that way ....
Old 04 May 2000, 03:06 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hunter....was going to fast to notice whether they had holes in!!!! *LMAO*
Old 04 May 2000, 05:15 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Cool

On the rear of the gatso there is an allen bolt that holds up a sliding sheet of metal, this acts as a weatherproof blanking plate to keep the lock holes weatherproof, if the lock holes are visible then somone has probably not tightened it up properly and the plate has slipped down. If you want to examine the camera in my garage (and abuse it) before I cut it up and dump it in the canal then feel free........
:-)
Old 04 May 2000, 07:25 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

RUM
i have just been caught by a speed camera on friday going from dundee to aberdeen. if the camera had a film i am definitely loosing my licence!!!!. so you 70 in 60 you will be allright.

by the way any body interested in claiming that they were driving my car instead of me for a good reward ( may be a holiday name your distination )

sam
Old 04 May 2000, 09:28 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Whereabouts Sam? Hope it wasnt the same one which did me.

What speed where you doing, cos Im borderline too!!

Regards

Richie

Old 04 May 2000, 10:45 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DanTheMan:
<B>If you want to examine the camera in my garage (and abuse it) before I cut it up and dump it in the canal then feel free........
:-)[/quote]

Dan,

You're not the same person who painted warning signs on the road 100 yards in front of almost every Gatso in West Reading (and there's a lot of 'em) a couple of years back, are you

Cheers
Joolz.

PS. I'll offer my steel toecaps and help in the 'research'!!

Old 04 May 2000, 10:52 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

*LMAO*....painting warnings...he he he....luv it (not that I condone illegal operations like that)....tho it did tickle me!!!!
Old 05 May 2000, 08:55 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Cool

.....on the 6th day God created man......and on the 7th day God created the petrol angle grinder......
Old 05 May 2000, 02:44 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

"if the lock holes are visible then somone has probably not tightened it up properly and the plate has slipped down"

Hmm, so now I wonder whether the people who move the cameras about in this area are just lazy (can't be bothered to tighten up the plate again), plain incompetent (duh! wonder what this screw's for?) or whether a friendly plod has asked them to keep the holes open so that he can speed past the live ones. I think we should be told ....

More power to your angle grinder.

Brian
Old 06 May 2000, 02:03 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah and Jamie got "flashed" on the A68... Doh

Now, let's see them serve that ticket in Seattle

Richard
Old 06 May 2000, 01:34 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

richie c
it was on the motor way from dundee to abredeen. the camera that is after the forfar. i was doing 120 when i saw the markings on the road and hit the brakes, i saw it flash on my mirror!!!. i don't know how fast i was going when it flashed but it must be over 100, so i think it will be serious!!!.

i was late for a funeral trying to over take 2 lorries before the road works
Old 06 May 2000, 02:54 PM
S55 DVM
Scooby Regular

Thats funny, I find that bit of road at Forfar pretty good too. Seem to recall the speedo hitting 155 there...

Later.