Sponsored by:

Downpipe Fitting

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2003, 08:04 AM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I have just got a secondhand HKS downpipe for my MY95. Is there any tips for fitting it? ie removing the lambda sensor, gaskets etc
Any info appreciated

Big Daz
Old 15 July 2003, 08:44 AM
carrot-sti
Scooby Regular

I have a 94 STi and got the garage to fit - they had to saw bolts off, modify the turbo heat shield, and all sorts...

Because of the extreme heat around that area the downpipe often welds the bolts meaning they are a real bugger to get off...!!

The garage spent 6 hours on it...
Old 15 July 2003, 09:00 AM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ok, Not the sort of thing I was wanting to hear but Cheers Carrot-sti,
Any way I can avoid this as I really would like to get this done this weekend?
No special tool to loosen the bolts?

Big Daz
Old 15 July 2003, 09:10 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would advise a socket with 6 sides internally rather than the usual type since this is less likely to take the corners off the nuts. (14 mm). If you could borrow some kind of an impact wrench that would help or at least a long shifter to get the leverage on the socket. They can be very tight and it is worth putting them back on with copper slip anti seize compound.

Also dont be too rough with the bolts which hold the downpipe to the centre pipe since they are reduced diameter under the springs and can break. Use lots of WD40 everywhere.

It is worth heat wrapping the downpipe too.

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 7/15/2003 9:12:12 AM]

[Edited by Leslie - 7/15/2003 9:13:23 AM]
Old 15 July 2003, 09:12 AM
carrot-sti
Scooby Regular

Well, I should also say, that sometimes it's not a problem and you can just undo them with a socket.

Mine was a problem though, and I've heard of numerous others that have had the same problems...

ScoobySport do fitting - they said they charge £70+VAT for fitting of their own downpipe, so maybe give them a try.

Being here in Guernsey, I couldn't take advantage of that - so the garages' 6 hours worth or whatever is going to cost a bomb
Old 15 July 2003, 09:18 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Daz,

I fitted a 2nd hand HKS downpipe to my STI3 last year. Did it in the garage, no pit or special tools. Bit of patience reqd removing the heat guard on the turbo. Worth checking what sort of flange you've got on the centre pipe - mines is the Magnex type and mates to the HKS ok'ish using a well positioned graphite ring type gasket. Biggest hassle for me was the stupid downpipe bracket under the car - bolt seized, why on earth they need to have a tapped hole in the bracket rather than nut & bolt baffles me (had same prob on last Subaru as well)
Also check the position of your Lambda and exhaust temp sensors and make sure the downpipe is the same - suspect it should be as your car is the phase 1 engine. I had to modify the downpipe for my Lambda sensor.

Kevin.