ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Aftermath

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2000, 10:25 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

3 weeks ago on Saturday, I was involved in a car crash, more my fault than the 3rd party involved, and at the time the emergency services were called - unfortunately my car caught fire -. A police officer at the time mentioned that someone from my local constabulary would be in touch within 10 days, and that I might be done with driving without due care and attention. I was wondering if now that more than 14 days have passed without a notice of intended prosecution, if I am still at risk of being prosecuted - especially since I received a letter today asking me to arrange an interview with the local PC. No one was injured or taken to hospital, don't know if this is a factor????
Old 29 April 2000, 11:48 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Clarey,

I have emailed you

cheers

chrisp
Old 29 April 2000, 02:44 PM
ChrisB

Clarey, be carefull what you say at an 'interview' .

A friend of mind was involved in an accident. He was turning right out of a side street onto a main road. He couldn't see down the hill due to parked cars. As he was edging out, somebody came up the hill and he hit the guy.

The end result was some front end damage to his BMW (535 tank), but the other guy ended up embedded in a garden wall (one written off Micra), but not hurt. Plod just happended to be passing so they stopped.

He voluntary went to the Plod Shop to make a statement (without a lawyer), at the end of the statement, the Plod told him they were going to prosecute him for driving without due care and attention. He ended up with a fine and some points (5 or 6 I think).

If he'd known they were going to charge him he wouldn't have said anything without a lawyer present (or said anything at all - it was a voluntary statement).

Chris.
Old 30 April 2000, 07:48 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Clarey:
<B>3 weeks ago on Saturday, I was involved in a car crash, more my fault than the 3rd party involved, and at the time the emergency services were called - unfortunately my car caught fire -. A police officer at the time mentioned that someone from my local constabulary would be in touch within 10 days, and that I might be done with driving without due care and attention. I was wondering if now that more than 14 days have passed without a notice of intended prosecution, if I am still at risk of being prosecuted - especially since I received a letter today asking me to arrange an interview with the local PC. No one was injured or taken to hospital, don't know if this is a factor????[/quote]

In the event of a Road Traffic Accident that results in personal injury,damage to roadside property, or damage to another motor vehicle there is no necessity to issue a Notice of Intended Prosecution at all. The 14 day rule does not apply in RTA cases. You may well still be prosecuted

Old 30 April 2000, 09:16 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks for the advice everyone, i will be keeping my fingers crossed.