ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Magnex Stainless Exhaust - Any Views

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2000, 12:22 AM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I've got one. Looks good on the car and is a bit different from the more common Scoobysport one (a bit less subtle, though ). Sounds great too. I don't think it's any louder than the Scoobysport but it has a slightly different tone.

[This message has been edited by DavidG (edited 25-04-2000).]
Old 25 April 2000, 07:48 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just seen a Magnex Exhaust System advertised in Demon Tweeks £208. I expect it's just the rear section (Cat Back).

Has anyone got any views on it, as I have used Magnex in the past on previous vehicles and always been impressed with the quality.
Old 25 April 2000, 08:01 AM
Marcos
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi - I have a new magnex back box fitted to a 95 WRX 5 door.

It looks great :-) - plus I've got used to the fact that I can put my foot in it (3.5 inches oval).

Most importantly it sounds deep and seems to make the revs flow easier (with my blitx induction kit).

What more can I say? I've heard loads of other exhausts and they are all pretty similar - I suppose I really liked the shape and the build quality.

I got mine for £207 from power engineering,

cheers

marcus
Old 25 April 2000, 08:31 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scott,

Mine is hopefully going in this week for one, (£248 fitted by Demon Tweeks). A couple of mates have got them and they sound great and seem pretty bomb proof. Tweeks have got one on the shelf you can get down and look at (whilst making noises like 'bbrrrmmm! and eeeeaaoowwww!........erm, alledgedly)
Old 26 April 2000, 12:02 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Chandler, what do you mean by "decent system"? Do you want it just to look nice? Most people, myself included, upgrade the exhaust to improve performance, the improvement in "sound" is usually an additional benefit. I don't think there are many people on the BBS who upgrade just to say "look at me"
Old 26 April 2000, 12:47 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

I would stick to the standard box then, because it won't increase noise and will probably last for donkeys years anyway. The OEM twin tailpipes are stainless anyway, so they won't rust and look ugly (but the box will).You can also get a cheap replacement when the box does rust from those of us with a stockpile of them who've upgraded

I'm not aware of any tailpipe which is of similar spec to the OEM unit and completely stainless.
Old 26 April 2000, 12:55 AM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Chandler you should stick with the standard exhaust - it's perfectly robust, looks fine and is nice and quiet. Aftermarket exhausts like Scoobysport or Magnex, combined with a free-flowing air filter, may give you marginally better MPG at higher revs (but not around town). They also give you slightly improved performance (again, with the air filter) but you say you're not interested in that.

I bought mine because I like the sound and because of the performance gains. I don't give a sh*t if anyone notices it. (I also don't give a sh*t about my neighbours anymore because they don't give a sh*t about me. )

[This message has been edited by DavidG (edited 26-04-2000).]
Old 26 April 2000, 09:08 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Talking

Got the Magnex oval rear box on MY97 WRX and it sounds sooooo sweet! ATS only charged a tenner to fit it, but I gather it's an easy DIY job too with only a jack required.

The fit is excellent too.

Gethin.
Old 26 April 2000, 09:23 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Magnex 6x4 Oval
Quite loud in a 5dr but excellent, deep bass note at idle and when putting the power down.
Old 26 April 2000, 10:37 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Louder than standard - obviously! Why else would you buy one?
I only really notice the extra noise when running on the motorway. Most of my driving is on Scottish A & B roads where it just adds to the experience!
I think it depends on where and how you drive. If I was doing lots of motorway miles I think I might be bored by now. However somebody else is sure to suggest just turning up the stero on long journeys!
Old 26 April 2000, 11:27 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chandler, any aftermarket sports exhaust will be louder than your standard one. It's a simple fact due to a larger hole for the gasses to escape compared to the standard twin pee-shooter type Scoobysport IMHO is the most discreet of the bunch right up to the HKS Super Drager rocket launcher-types !

Old 26 April 2000, 11:52 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone got the 3.5inch round, rather than the 6x4 Oval.

How big is the Scoobysport.

Out of all the perfromance exhausts I've had in the past the Magnex has always been the quietest.
Old 26 April 2000, 01:11 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Question

David

what have your neighbours done? Or what have you done to the neighbours then??

(slightly off the exhaust thread sorry, but im curious)

...Ian
Old 26 April 2000, 01:16 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Red face

Blimey David! Calm down!

Back on thread, I'd recommend the Magnex for bomb proof build quality, improved performance (feels more flexible anyway) and a good sound.

Sorry don't know much about any of the other systems, try attending a meet to see what other members have. Worst case I'm sure you could sell an almost new performance exhaust on the BBS without losing too much money.

[This message has been edited by Dark (edited 26-04-2000).]
Old 26 April 2000, 02:19 PM
Spikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

I run the ScoobySport Downpipe and backbox on my UK MY00 and I am VERY happy with it. Nice low exhaust note and a BIG performance increase.

....Oh and did anyone mention the 25 year guarantee on SS exhausts!
Old 26 April 2000, 02:34 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Sorry about the neighbours outburst ! It's just that some of them are the most inconsiderate bunch of self-centred rseholes, so Chandler's idea of being considerate to them (which of course is the right attitude) just made me laugh . The others are fine, though, and to be honest I really don't think the Magnex exhaust is loud enough to be a bother to them anyway.

Back on topic, at a recent SIDC/Essex Police driving course, of the 20 or so Scoobies in the car park , I'd say at least 15 had an aftermarket exhaust. Marvellous noise at going-home time.
Old 26 April 2000, 03:28 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Check
Old 27 April 2000, 12:13 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Hi chaps,
The Blitz back box is a nice sounding system too. Any one else have got one? Surely a good comparison to a magnex??!!
Old 27 April 2000, 08:36 PM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

ive just bought a magnex back box 3.5 round,
i am not intending to fit a new filter yet, can anyone advise me if i will need to alter any of the mixture settings or does the beast look after this on its own???

regards
Old 27 April 2000, 10:59 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi ,
Fitted magnex back box on MY00 vast improvement in sound quality and have today had the centre section de-cat done at Scoobysport and can recommend it highly.
It now has a real deep roar when give its head and has extra sound with induction kit.Definatley has better pick up now but what next is the question.
Old 27 April 2000, 11:04 PM
Paul Milne
Scooby Newbie

Got the 3.5" round Magnex back box about 5 months ago. Good build quality.
Louder than standard definitely but not really intrusive, although you know its there. No regrets at the price.