Clutch Judder

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2000, 08:53 PM
V697DMO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Well 6500 miles and all is well apart from that bloody cluth judder

Seems to only really be a problem during warm up if its been cold or damp - is the weather effecting it ?

I'll get dealer to sort it out at up coming service but I am curious as to what the hell is the problem. Its fine when its warmed up of the weather is fine and dry so t has to be related to the prevailing conditions
Old 14 April 2000, 08:57 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

I'm sure there was a post a while back where Mike Nunan found that during start up his clutch juddered but this could be removed by altering the fueling (he was running a possum link)

food for thought as you say it goes when the car is warmed up

laters

stu
Old 14 April 2000, 09:39 PM
adge
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My MY 98 clutch always juddered when cold, never bothered to do anything about it, just got used to it and it was still doing it when I sold it with 46K on the clock. I always thought it was to do with a hard clutch plate being fitted to cope with the power, but maybe there was something wrong as my new MY00 doesn't judder at all. Maybe they have fitted a different plate because its been a common complaint on the bulletin board
Old 14 April 2000, 11:28 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

You wont cure clutch judder ever!

Old 14 April 2000, 11:30 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Beware the 'Judder Man' my son!
Old 15 April 2000, 01:46 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

A quick cure.
I get clutch judder time to time, it will pop its little head out more if you find you drive in stop start traffic a lot.

Burn the clutch a little from time to time. I hear this clears a lot of the dirt and will make for smoother driving. It certainly works for me. Just drive very slowly then rev and dump in 2nd gear MOMENTARILY. When the clutch slips a little, depress again.

Use at your own risk, but I find this method works for me.
Cem
Old 15 April 2000, 10:23 AM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem and got fed up with it. It seems to be temperature related i.e. when the car is cold you get judder. My car has just had two new complete units ( clutch and flywheel) and now judder is gone. Had man from SUBARU warranty speak to me on the phone and they are aware that the clutch judders a little, and this is `THE NORM`.If it judders an awful lot then they change it. The first replacement unit that was fitted was worst than the original and I drove it in all conditions for over 1000miles and still couldnt bed it in ( even trying above method).Went back to dealer and the second one was put in and hey presto .....SORTED.
Speaking to Mr subaru he said it was something to do with friction plates as they have changed the material a number of times to improve feel.
What also helped was the CHEAM MOTORS dealership. They are just Thoroughly bloody nice blokes who give you a courtesy car aswell.

I thank you

K
Old 15 April 2000, 11:13 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Just had new clutch fitted due to judder. Dealer told me new clutch had a modified flywheel and should pose no further problem. So far so good, no more judder.
Cheers
Chip.
Old 15 April 2000, 11:57 AM
WAL
Scooby Regular

Same to report as Chip and others with MY98s, had the works changed at 15000 miles. The car has done over 5000 miles since with not a hint of judder hot or cold.
Well worth losing your car for a day to sort the defect out!

Warren
Old 15 April 2000, 03:20 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Another thing to bear in mind is that the clutch should in theory not be covered by the warranty. This does not seem to be the case. So dont give in easily if your dealer tells you this. I went elsewhere after my local dealer told me it common on all turbos and there was nothing that could be done.
Cheers
Chip.