Smooth Gear Changes?

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2000, 04:18 PM
AndyG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

How?

During "progressive driving", changing up at the red line, usually 2nd->3rd or 3rd->4th, I am only really happy with gear changes 80% of the time. The "bad" times result in a hesitation and "thumping" sensation from the transmission, when it feels (kind of) like there is a momentary loss of power as the clutch comes back in. The engine is well in the boost zone (just over 4k rpm) so what's going on?

It happens much worse in my recently-run-in MY00 Scooby that it did in my old MY98. Do I have a technical problem, or am I just crap at changing gear? I've read that a turbo-ed AWD car is the trickiest for high rev changes, but still...

Cheers,
Andy
Old 13 April 2000, 04:32 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

hmmm...?

The problem with turbos is that they can still spin down even if the revs are high. I am not an expert in this stuff at all, but I beleive it is demand which spins the turbo as opposed to just revs.

Another contributory factor is that the turbo is under less demand at redline than it is at say 4000. So the turbo has actually started to spin down.

One thing is for sure. If you redline a scooby turbo in each gear, you will be slower in a straight line than if you change before. When I drive them at MIRA, there is really no need to use really high revs.

Maybe you should try this..

Change a little earlier, come off the gas and then start stepping back on it slightly earlier which will mean the revs are higher when the clutch bites again, which will also force you to let the clutch in smoothly.

So you will find that there is a split second where you are effectivley clutch controlling as oposed to just dropping the clutch.

Hope this helps

Simon
Old 13 April 2000, 05:01 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

agreed - turbo cars and redline are not always the best of companions..

I find in the scoob that slowing the gear-change slightly makes it much smoother and more progressive, as well as a slight throttle blip just before re-applying clutch and gas...

goes something like....

accelerate, about 1K before red line, dip clutch, blip throttle, bring gas, then clutch smoothly back in - tends to smooth out the 'turbo bump'

Night
Old 13 April 2000, 07:06 PM
Taff
Scooby Regular

Wink

I agree. Whilst I am undoubtebly (spelling?) the best driver in the world, I have just upgraded from a Clio 16V to a 5dr MY00. The Clio 16V upchange was sweet as a nut at full pelt.

Having just run the Scooby in (now at 2.5k miles) I was distraught to find that I could no longer change up smoothly (not as distraught as my passengers however).

I am beginning to think the air bag is in case of a particularly bad upchange.

I've read the above tips and I'll give them a try. If any of you are travelling up the M1 tonight around junc 5/6 look out for the Scooby in the slow lane, accelerating lurching, braking, accelerating lurching.... as I try the new tips.

My solution so far was to ride the clutch on the upchange and let it drag in, but I'm not sure how sympathetic this is mechanically....

Old 13 April 2000, 09:45 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

I noticed on the test drive and occasionally since, the anchor drops out, usually I find between 2nd and 3rd if I redline it and "panic" the gear change. I put it down to lack of concentration and slow reactions, not necessarily in that order. Oh, and me driving like an ****!