Sponsored by:

Questionable Subaru service intervals!

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2003, 12:30 AM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I got my P1 serviced the other day at 18,000 miles (i get it serviced at 5000mile intervals, rather than the 7500 that the book says.
Blokey in the dealer phones me and asked if i wanted it to have a 30k service as it was due. I told him that it didnt need it as i've only done 18k, but he said that in the service book it states 30k or 24 months. I obviously declined as i think that this is absolute bollox!!
Servicing intervals depend on the mileage of the car, and not how old it is for christ sakes.........but not according to Subaru![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

So now i've had my car serviced (normal oil and filter change) and not had the book stamped.
I'm now wondering if this has invalidated my remaining warranty, and it will also look bad when i come to selling the car.

Am i alone in thinking that this is ridiculous?

Any comments are most welcome,

Cheers,

Steve
Old 04 May 2003, 12:57 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Some things like rubber seals and cambelts degrade over time, as well as over the number of miles, so does brake fluid. I changed the cambelt in my mother-in-law's Rover after 30k miles at the start of the year, because the car was an M plate and the belt was starting to look sick - the car hardly goes any distance.

I'm not sure what is in a 30k service, but certainly things like brake pads are only worn out by miles on the clock! It does seem a bit of overkill on the part of the dealer.

I can't comment on warranty and service history stuff, as I don't have experience of it, as I've never had a car new enough to have a warranty, and I've never let a dealer near any of my cars!
Old 04 May 2003, 08:41 AM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Most manufacturers are the same. I would say your warranty is not now valid. To be fair there are things done on the 30k service such as brake fluid and coolant which are age related. Regardless of the warranty situation a FSH is very important when you come to sell the car.
Old 04 May 2003, 08:54 AM
griffm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Without a doubt if you make a claim to IM (Subaru) they will say you have not had the vehicle serviced in line with the manfacturers recommendations and decline the claim. As stated in the other posts an in tact service history is a must for resale value and claims, Time or mileage based it is best to stick to intervals recommended by the manufacturer.
Old 04 May 2003, 08:57 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

over a certain period of time the oils can absorb moisture sort of dilutin the oil which is why they get changed after a certain period of time it also breaks down, the properties in it work less efficient so ideally it should be changed as per what the book says it's a good idea to do the oil every 5000 but what about the rest of the car a nice car with a nice engine is no good with out a nice gearbox or diff .
a 30,000 would include all oils and filters , coolant, spark plugs etc it goes a lot for the service history when selling it.
Old 04 May 2003, 09:06 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation

I have to agree with Ian Warranty would possibly be viod if the 30K is not done (even if all other further routine servicing are done

I have mine serviced far more than stated but I have still got to do the compulsory/obligitory ones. You could probably service it once every month and not do the compulsory/obligitory one and still lose warranty.

IMHO

Tony