Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The rattler rattles on - how to deal with S-UK?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2003, 04:46 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My STi7(UK) has been returned today from Subaru-UK West Bromwich with the suspension rattle apparently unresolved. For those interested in the casework see http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...=159508&Page=4

This is now the 6th unsuccessful warranty repair on the car: and all I'm asking for is for my NSR Suspension to be as quiet as my OSR {no smartarse remarks about driving on the left, please, since the problem is as evident on single-track roads as on normal twin carriageways}. It's not a "mission-critical" problem, except to the extent that metal knocking on metal can lead to longer-term failure, but I paid £27.5K for the car (over the odds, given the STi8 pricing) and I don't see why I should have to put up with an intensely irritating rattle from the suspension not justified by the road conditions, and not exhibited by the rest of the car.

This has been going on for a fraction over a year, and I judge that chucking the car in isn't a realistic proposition - besides, I love the car otherwise!! [Sensible] views as to appropriate next steps will be welcome, on-board or off!

Regards to all

One very pi$$ed-off owner

Phil
Old 31 March 2003, 07:30 PM
GLIM
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear things are no better Phil, i hear what you are saying about chucking the car in not being realistic. But the fact that the car has displayed this fault from new means that irrespective of miles covered to date, it is not and has never been of acceptable quality.

No matter how big or small the problem the mere fact that the manufacturer cannot repair it leaves you in as strong a position as i found myself in with mine.

There are too many people in our country too ready to accept a lesser quality than they deserve.

Glim.
Old 31 March 2003, 07:41 PM
korky
Scooby Regular

Phil,

Had my '7' in for the same thing. First they took the boot lid apart and tightened some bolt or other.

Next they changed the NSR shocker.

I wanted the pair changing but SUK would only pay for one.

Anyway - one year down the road and the back end of my car still sounds as though something is loose. It goes in for a PPP tomorrow and I shall have the technician go for a(nother) test drive to see if we can fault it.

Sounds to me as though you have had a lot of attention but no success.

My advice would be:

Either live with it if you are confident that the car is safe;
or persuade Subaru to make you an offer that you cannot refuse on an '8'.

Can't really say more than that!

Korky

Old 31 March 2003, 10:37 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

You and many others, Korky!! It'd cost them dozens of STi8s if I were to succeed and others were to follow. 'Sides, there's a report of a rattly 8, too, on my Suspension thread.... apparently identical symptoms!!

Phil
Old 31 March 2003, 10:50 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Phil,
Not suprised if the 'STi8' has possibly the same rattles as based on a STi7.

[Flame suit on] It's correct title should be MY03STi7UK or MY03STiUK as it's not based on a STi8 but STi7 the only real STi8 is a MY03STi8JDM.[Flame suit off]

Tony
Old 31 March 2003, 11:10 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah I got an extremely knowledgeable (and interesting)post from someone some time ago about how MY02STi (Type UK) differed from STi 7 JDM. But you have to go with the flow, otherwise no-one knows what you're talking about.

It comes as no surprise to hear of an "8" with the problem, as you hint, since AIUI such suspension differences as there are are all in front. But enquiry of the MRT Board in Oz showed no-one admitting to having a rattly "7" as exported to ANZ: I wasn't able to follow up the obvious question, however. I have heard of a rattly SA "7" and a rattly US "7" however.

Get my Fuel Pump on Thursday

Phil
Old 31 March 2003, 11:21 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Phil,
Sorry I was just in one of them moods.

Good news about the fuel pump Had mine fitted 2 weeks ago the mechanic only scratched my wheel arch taking the back seat out Have the tank level low saves smelly petrol spillage

Can you get the car taken back as a lemon There was a post recently and someone had a STi7 returned and had a replacement MY03STi

Tony
Old 31 March 2003, 11:35 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

I'm sure that after X amount of faults/attempts to fix a car it has to be called a Lemon
Old 01 April 2003, 07:24 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Phil,

Sorry to hear you are *still* having problems at this late stage!!!! I would either:

a) Contact Fuji directly and complain about the problem, stating the details of all the various unsuccessful attempts to repair it. Remember that as the car is still less than 1 year old, the warranty is with the factory (Fuji) anyway so they are the ones who are paying for all these "fixes" anyway! They really do care about Customer Service (unlike others we could mention ) so get onto them.

b) Go after an STi 8, because even if it's no better, it's newer and you will dodge the depreciation that I think has and will continue to hit the 7. I don't think the 8 will depreciate as much!!!

I would go for a) but with a view to getting the factory to do a straight swap for the 7 at no cost to you! The factory can afford to do stuff like this (not that they'll want to) but I suspect if you push hard enough, you could get a result.

I certainly wouldn't "accept" the car as it is, you should get it sorted out one way or the other whilst you can. Who's not to say that if you leave it because it "seems" alright, you're not going to have a serious problem down the line, and by then it'll be too late to get Fuji/IM to do anything about it!

I'd personally go for the jugular

Matt
Old 01 April 2003, 07:45 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thanks, Matt. As a narrow technicality, the car had its 1st Birthday on March 14.....Interesting, because there was a delay while S-UK found a swap-car and I reminded them then that if they repaired it after 14 March then, as I understood it, it would fall to their account! However, as GLIM has pointed out, I reported the fault within 48 hours of purchase, so I have continuity. However, there are so many rattlers out there that it could be STi8's all round...... 'cept that the first rattly STi 8 has now been reported on my "Suspension" thread

YHM separately

Cheers

Phil
Old 01 April 2003, 07:54 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Phil

Would definitely go for the jugular. My STi does not experience this problem so it can not be a design fault, and mine was one year old February 14th.

Matt
Old 01 April 2003, 08:54 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tough one.

Sort of tend to side with Phil - It would definately cost them dozens of STI8's, no doubt about that.

I find it very hard to understand why the problem cannot be found, you have the car, you CAN make it knock/bang, you are in a position to strip it completly if necessary.

Maybe not relevant, but surely someone like Prodrive would be in a better position to diagnose the problem, especially after some of the comments made from Mr Damian Harty.

These comments did appear to make sense (to me anyway), I just wonder what S-UK made of them.

I suppose it would also be good to know exactly how many STI7 or 8 owners have this fault, we have a rough idea I guess, but a lot of the original pack had their noises cured, pity I wasn't one of those owners!

Shaun
Old 01 April 2003, 09:02 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Personally, if Subaru haven't fixed any fault in over a year, I'd be pushing for a new car. The longer it drags on the less likely you'll get a replacement car out of it. I don't think it's a cut 'n dry when you have driven the car for that lenght of time. If it had spent more time off road, then you would have a strong case.

I think you either have to quickly force IM's hand and demand a new car (and risk more rattles) or live with your current car and make sure IM are doing their best to rectify the fault.

Personally, I'd want a new car. Sure it might rattle, but it's new

Stefan
Old 01 April 2003, 12:24 PM
jgd
Scooby Newbie

I was at my dealer yesterday getting them to drain off some oil where they had overfilled at the 6month service afew weeks back.While waiting I had a look at the rear suspension of a new my03sti in the showroom.I noticed that there was a rubber spacer at the base of the spring where it is seated on the strut, which is not present on my sti my 03 and which continues to rattle after several unsuccessful attempts to rectify the problem.I pointed this out to the dealer who expressed surprise and immediately got onto subaru ireland. They advised that they now had akit of parts which would rectify the problem and which I assume includes the spacer.The dealer should have the parts on wednesday ..... fingers crossed ... I`ll keep you posted
JGD
Old 01 April 2003, 12:26 PM
jgd
Scooby Newbie

Sorry
mine`s an sti 02 not 03
jgd
Old 01 April 2003, 06:32 PM
GLIM
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I tell you Phil, document all the history of attempted repairs and submit it to a solicitor who for a relatively small fee will contact your dealer,(who may well be a nice guy), and this will show you mean business.

Nothing ventured nothing gained!

The worst that can happen is you get a small lawyers fee, nothing compared to the depreciation your facing on your currently unrepairable sti7.

This threat of rejection may just spurr suk to address the problem, especially if it is as common as it would appear!

GO FOR IT! (there i've used the shout button!)

Glim.