Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Define a water spray

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2003, 08:56 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My local rag has what has to be the worst car review I have ever read - and it's a review of the MY03 Impreza. The review is not bad because of how the car is portrayed but because of terrible writing by someone who obviously doesnt understand how a car works.

Before I go and put my foot in it while writing a slating letter to the editor - can you please confirm that the water spray nozzle has nothing to do with engine coolingIf I get the time

I'll copy the whole thing out so you can all have a laugh too!
Old 30 March 2003, 09:09 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be careful what you say in your letter as the waterspray does cool the intercooler, which is part of the engine.....

be nice to read the article, maybe its an early april fools joke ?
Old 30 March 2003, 09:10 PM
rakh1
Scooby Regular

The spray you are talking about is directed on to the intercooler. The reson for this IS cooling, but more the cooling of the air going into the engine rather than cooling the engine itself.

As the air is compressed by the turbo it becomes hotter (is this Boyle's law?). It is then fed through an intercooler whos job is to try and cool the air down a bit. This is done because cold air is denser and as a result contains more oxygen per volume - as a result you can mix more petrol with it and hence get more bang from the same displacement.

Now the intercooler works by using the temperature difference between the hot compressed air and the outside air temp. It uses fins to create a large surface area as this is best to shed the excess heat from.

Now - a way to increase the efficiency of this cooling is to put water on it. If you wet one hand and blow on both the wet one feels cooler. And this is where the water spray comes into place. By increasing the cooling effect of the intercooler you get more dense air into the engine and hence more power from your engine.

Voila!

R
Old 30 March 2003, 09:35 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

Wink

OK, here's all the interesting parts of the article:

"..a totally different front end combines an agressive presence with pedestrian friendly features.."

"Throttle response has improved thanks to revisions to the exhaust manifold aimed at smoothing the flow of exhaust gases, increased boost pressure and a new engine managment system"

"Meanwhile the cooling system of the 265PS STi engine has benefited from a change in the shape of the intercooler water spray nozzle and the air baffle plate installed inside the air scoop"

"The STi also has improved front suspension thanks to strenghthened mounts for the transverse linkages and new cross-performance rods. As a result, handling and steering response are even better."

"With a variable capacity steering pump, the steering system combines even greater straight line stability at speed with a lighter, more sensative feel during low speed manouevering"

"Other features include ISOFIX child seat mounts and an impact absorbing brake pedal"

The article seems to have been written entirely from a Subaru press release by someone who doesnt quite understand what he is writing. I think they should get a voulenteer to re-write the review after actually driving a demonstrator for the day
Old 30 March 2003, 09:53 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

am i missing sumin thou doesn't seem particularly mad or wrong?
agressive presence with pedestrian friendly features
ok so dunno how that works maybe the big scoop gives run over pedestrians sumin 2 hold on2
Si
Old 30 March 2003, 10:10 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its got a bouncy bonnet so your victims skull stays intact(ish), no good if you fit safari rally bull bars though