Front ? Rear ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2003, 08:02 PM
scoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks

Just a quick qustion about tyres. Is it possible to put 2 tyres of the same make on the front, and 2 tyres of a different make on the rear. I know it is propably a bad idea but was wondering what anyone elses views were.

Cheers James.
Old 26 February 2003, 09:34 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

er DONT do it!!!! No experiance of it but just such a bad idea for the sake of £180 or so, will cost FAR more if u spin into sumin solid kuz 1 end grips totally different 2 da other
Si
Old 26 February 2003, 10:46 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Have this on mine.

Got the cr*p ones on the back (Avon ZZ1) and the good ones on the front (Goodyear Eagle F1). Fine in the dry, predictably tail happy in the wet. Only had one tank slapping moment when the back gave a bit of a twitch in the wet when I wasn't expecting it. Fortunately my instinct was to turn into it and survived OK.

PLan to replace the ZZ1's shortly as soon as the recent holiday to Egypt is paid for.
Old 27 February 2003, 03:59 PM
scoobyfella
Scooby Regular

What about if the pair on the front and the rear were both very good branded tyres?

James.
Old 27 February 2003, 04:15 PM
Boarder1
Scooby Regular

I had a brand new set of F-1's on the front and a very good set of bridgestones on the rear.

The car was OK in the dry, but very tail happy in the wet!! Now I have F-1's all round and the car is great in the wet and great in the dry.

Mark
Old 27 February 2003, 04:27 PM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

As stated eleswhere on the forum my supplying dealer Lancaster Subaru Sevenoaks decided to replace (after my complaint) the two heavily worn front tyres on my recently bought used Impreza with 2 "Stunner Tyres". This left me with two heavily worn rear original Bridgestones and these "Stunner" tyres with full tread on the front.

The car was lethal in the wet and the dry being prone to wild oversteer at all speeds! They were replaced by myself with 4 F1's which transformed the cars handling, turn in, noise and ride. Almost all posts I read on this subject lead me to one conclusion: DO NOT MIX TYRES. Mixed brands mean unpredictable handling. Think how much bodywork repairs will cost when it hits something.