Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Whats the difference between a Sport and GL?

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2000, 10:05 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just out of interest (and cos a mate of mine is thinking about a company car) does the Sport have different suspension settings etc to the normal GL? Or is it just better wheels and seats? John and Phil - you'll know!

I nearly bought a Sport myself, but then thought I might as well go the whole hog - I'll probably never be able to afford a fast car again!

Steve
Old 03 March 2000, 10:57 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
not completely sure on all the changes. My sport came with the optional 16" turbo spec wheels, normally they are 15" alloys.
comes with the same engine as the GL.
the body kit is the same on the sport as the turbo with the fogs in the front bumper. It has the old size turbo rear spoiler, has the side skirts and lips on the bumper but no bonnet scoop. I dont know if the GL suspension is softer, the curtosy car GL i drove certainly felt softer however.

It has a SPORT badge on the side and rear so is obviously cooler than a GL

not sure if there is a difference in the toys fitted, i just liked the sport when i drove it and it does look the part. Best company car i have ever had. If it was my own money i would go for the turbo myself, but the sport is a bloody quick a-b car in the right hands.

i dont know if this is a fair comment, but GL drivers tend to be less enthusiast's, more the traditional subaru driver of old, a bit of a generalisation i know, probably an unfair one.

strangely i would not have gone for a GL if i culdn't get the sport, i would have gone for another manufacturer's car, cant really explain why, maybe it is image?
Old 03 March 2000, 11:01 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Cheers. Definately an image thing - I'd never have a GL, much too anonymous, while a Sport/Turbo looks good without being OTT IMHO.
Old 03 March 2000, 11:25 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

I agree with John ..

I've got a 99 sport, love it to death and it is a very quick car from a-b, suffers with more body roll than the turbo but still turns heads locally as there aint many around here and with a pair of PIAA lamps it still looks the db's.

I saw my 1st gl last week and I have to be honest it just looks very ordinary, the Subaru uk web site has a chart showing all the specs from gl through to the turbo.

avid sport lover !!
K
Old 03 March 2000, 02:47 PM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

I went to get a Sport, but its 19.5K in Ireland, and the insurance would have been higher, So I got a GLi exective, its the same look as the sport,(bar side sills and corner spoilers), But I got them added and color coded looks the business. plus its only 1.6 and cheaper it insure! :-)

I think I'll upgrade to a Sport in a few years if the insurance for the turbo keeps rising!

Cheers