Sponsored by:

Legacy Twin Turbo Help!

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2003, 10:32 AM
GTBTT
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My 1998 Twin Turbo Legacy Estate requires new front discs and pads. Local dealer is quoting £460.00! I know import bits are dear, but this seems excessive. The dealership is however, willing to fit parts that I source myself. Only problem is trying to identify the exact part. My model code is BG5C5ED. Can anyone recommend a "clued up" supplier?
Old 15 January 2003, 02:40 PM
si ellis
Scooby Regular

Smile

Got a 99 GTB myself and have just replaced front set-up with impreza 4-pots, discs and pads, they fit straight on!!!
Old 15 January 2003, 03:05 PM
GTBTT
Scooby Newbie

Red face

I'm on a budget here! New baby and all that. I would think replacing calipers, discs and pads would cost in excess of £1000.00

I've tried e mailing Graham Goode Racing & Park Lane for a quote, but as yet no reply.
Old 15 January 2003, 03:08 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Above is correct - they are the same as the impreza discs - for the money - you could probably upgrade at the same time - maybe to slightly larger diameter discs (since you will have at least 17" rims) and better pads - there is endless choice but when choosing look at Godspeed and Tormos - last time I did this I chose the tormos disks which look really nice too. OE disks are rather poor quality for the money if you ask me and are prone to warping.
If you are on a budget then try ringing grade-a subaru in hayfield - they usually have stock of 4 pots and disks

Note that the rear discs are not same as uk impreza being the larger vented type fitted to legacies and some later JDM STI imprezas.

Paul W
Old 15 January 2003, 03:09 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

I just had new discs on my 98 GTB at Park Lane.
£430 all in and I'm afraid that's the best price I found.
r
Old 15 January 2003, 03:43 PM
GTBTT
Scooby Newbie

Just had Graham Goode Racing reply to my query. They quote £49.99 each for o/e spec Lucas discs and £41.50 for the pads excl vat.
Are these worth a trip from Mid Sussex to Leicester, or should I bite the bullet at Park Lane (Hants) and pay up for "real thing"?

Is there THAT much difference in performance?
Old 16 January 2003, 01:46 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The std BG 17" wheels will NOT clear Subaru 4 pots.
That is science fact.

As mentioned, the discs are indeed identical to any 4 pot equipped WRXs, so picking up an OE WRX set (which are fine, just not wonderful) is fine. Dunno about the pads in the UK though - I guess that size disc and caliper may not have made it there, BUT the Outback H6 3.0 has the same front set-up, so there should be an option there (although the pads may not be the same as the GT-B OE spec due to the sports wagon's speed, but the Outback is no slouch either...).

HTH

Trending Topics

Old 16 January 2003, 01:57 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

OK - just confirmed that while the Outback and Legacy do indeed share the same front brake set-up, the pads are of a different spec, and natch the GT-B's are somewhat stiffer and higher perf than the Outback's. They will fit though.

Now, the thing to obvioulsly remember is that the Outbacks' are gonna have less resistance to fade and probably less bite - so DON'T expect them to perform equally.

Personally I would not do it, but since you are on a budget, I am just trying to help/give options...caveat emptor.

Good luck.
Old 16 January 2003, 07:48 AM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Talking

The new set Park Lane fitted are fantastic.
Should I be taking my driving test again the examiner would leave the car through the windscreen when he tapped the dashboard.
For me brakes are in the same categories as tyres, ie NOT something to economise on.
You chose to spend a lot of money buying a car that can go very quickly, you could have spent a lot less on a similar sized vehicle that didn't go quickly, but now you've made that decision you need to be aware of the consequences.
When I bought my first Legacy turbo I was given a very valuable piece of advice by another owner.....
"the Subaru is a very safe car, good brakes, fantastic grip and phenomenal acceleration. All that goes to dramatically reduce your chances of having an accident, but if you do crash you'll probably be going VERY quickly'
Go get yourself a proper set of vented discs and by next month you'll have forgotten the price you paid.
imho
r
Old 17 January 2003, 01:00 PM
GTBTT
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks for all your replies. This forum certainly works well.
After much thought, I have decided to go for the genuine article, from Gatwick Subaru. Given that I drive the GTB at 101% it seems foolhardy to economise and spoil the "drive". I guess I just needed a few people to remind me of that fact.

Better pass on the remoulds then!! Only joking! Running Bridgestone S02's currently.

Any GTB Owners in Mid-Sussex, or am I the only one?
Old 17 January 2003, 01:54 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good on you!
Old 27 July 2003, 05:46 PM
bigloaf
Scooby Newbie

try this page m8 its my m8s shop www.needforspeed.co.uk
he will help u out
cheers john
Old 27 July 2003, 06:38 PM
Dremel
Scooby Regular

I got my disc's & pads from www.as-performance.co.uk
Very helpfull & good prices. OE discs but with Ferodo DS2500 pads.
Also got translated handbook.

Dremel.(Jon)