Sponsored by:

Stupidly long post full of newbie questions from P1 owner

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2003, 12:47 PM
p1bobsta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I recently bought an October '01 P1 and am really happy with my purchase. Previously I had a Mitsi FTO GPX for 2 years ... which I modded, lowered, chipped and tracked and ... and... generally loved the thing to death(!)

Now with the P1 I can't help being interested in the whole array of mods which are available - but my sensible side says "You've still got 20 months of warranty to run! Don't mess with it - Prodrive did that for you!"

So, here's where the questions start... Firstly, driving a turbo'd car is taking quite a bit of getting used to compared to the near-flat torque curve of the FTO. Are there any tips on maintaining smooth power delivery on gear changes (without changing the dump valve, etc)?...

Secondly, I'm already getting used to the incredible amount of grip available (especially in this weather)... but with the FTO the smooth power delivery and rock-sold suspension setup I had meant I knew when I was about to loose grip - so I could play around all day sliding round roundabouts purely on the throttle. With the P1 it just goes so bloody well before breaking out that combined with the turbo lag I'm just not too comfortable knowing the limits... again, any tips on how to keep the power delivery closely tied to the throttle position instead of being 1 second behind would be great.

Thirdly, my parents live in Banbury... all of 2 miles from Prodrive. Next time I'm in the area is it worth popping in? Are Prodrive a friendly bunch - do they actually have a customer-facing reception?

Fourthly, I'm having trouble maintaining pressures in a couple of the tyres on the car. Are the O.Z. Prodrive 17"s known for being porous / having bad sealing? Seems quite dodgy to me.

Finally, I'm reckoning that in order to answer a few of my questions above, there's no substitute for a good trackday. Previously I've preferred real tracks (e.g. Goodwood) to airstrip days purely cos concrete airstrips eat tyres whereas tarmac tracks are nice and grippy and more like a real road. However, I think a day where I get to learn how to throw the beast around properly (kindof a skid-pan session) would be really useful - are any such events planned in the near future?

If you've got this far - thanks for reading(!)

Cheers,

Rob
Old 03 January 2003, 01:12 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Rob, welcome. Pretty new myself, you'll find this board (mostly) helpful!

Check my post about the Evo beginners trackday @ Brands Hatch.

Hopefully see you there.

Ed
Old 03 January 2003, 01:21 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

I believe that you'd be best finding the limits on the track with the P1. They're not full proof, but fairly safe all the same. Trackdays are available so look at the trackday section on here or join the SIDC. You could get the ECU remapped by ECUTEK to get a better power delivery but it may affect peak power - your choice. As for tyre pressures, your wheels could be porus but I've not heard of this problem with yours, best to get them re-seated or check for punctures???

F
BTW SIDC have an FAQ section to answer most queries, oh and good choice matey.
Old 03 January 2003, 01:21 PM
p1bobsta
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Ed... Seen the post - looks interesting. I'm like you - have done a few track days but all in RWD or FWD cars, never 4WD.
Old 03 January 2003, 01:38 PM
Glenn_R
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Rob. Welcome to P1 ownership! The only advise I can give is take your time to learn the cars handling - had mine 6 months now (second Scoob) and am still learning it!

As you suggest get a couple of trackdays in and have some fun. Personally recommend the ones through the SIDC as they are well organised and well driven.

Only mods done to mine so far are the backbox and upgraded the brakes - recommended if you are gonna do trackdays!

Glenn
Old 03 January 2003, 01:52 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Let me know of you fancy it, we can convoy up. Where in London are you? I'm near Canary Wharf.
Old 03 January 2003, 02:04 PM
p1bobsta
Scooby Regular

Near Canary Wharf?... I can almost spit on it! ... obviously don't want to give too much away on a public board - but mail me on p1<at>ftos.co.uk

Thanks,
Rob
Old 03 January 2003, 02:25 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

bobsta, you have mail m8.

I think I've seen your old FTO about.
Old 03 January 2003, 04:13 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

Smile

hi
i had a p1 for 18 months with alcons, 18's and a full scoobysport system, great car, never had any probs with the tyres losing pressure, had a good track day at goodwood in it
mark
Old 03 January 2003, 04:20 PM
p1 tud
Scooby Regular

good luck with the p1 mate, great cars these! im over the moon with mine.
Old 01 March 2003, 04:59 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Shameless plug for my website, with some trackday photos from the last few events, and also a diary for next year with some of the trackdays listed. Some of the links on the site will also point you in the right direction for booking trackdays.

Cheers
Dave Adams

===========================
email ::::: dave@scoobyphotos.com
===========================

[Edited by Dave_A - 1/3/2003 4:59:55 PM]