Sponsored by:

what is the differences between MY01 STI and STI VI

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2001, 06:48 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi there
is there a major difference between the new WRX STI and the sti vi engine wise ?

i know the new sti is a completely new car with new suspension and gear box etc.. but how about the engine, does all the crap about the engine specs that prodrive threw at us also available with the sti v and vi ?

more to the point has anyone on this board upgraded from a V or VI to a new style sti ?

any comments .

thinking of changing car but don't really want to leave subaru

sam
Old 11 October 2001, 06:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is interesting that it doesn't seem to lose out to the P1 on straight line performance despite extra weight in a recent EVO test. That had me wondering if the engine was significantly different. Perhaps the six speed box and different gearing do the job?
Old 11 October 2001, 07:25 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

which edition of evo was that ? surely subaru will not make a new car slower than the old one!!

when the p1 came out a lot of people went and bought it but so far one seem to have bought an sti 7 yet. none that i know yet.

sam

[This message has been edited by Sam Elassar (edited 11 October 2001).]
Old 11 October 2001, 08:16 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sam,

"surely subaru will not make a new car slower than the old one!!"

I assume that's in relation to the straightline comment?

Err, the 01 car? Slower straightline than the old, no doubt about it......
Old 11 October 2001, 08:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

August
UK300/STi7/RB5WR/P1
Weight 1385/1430/1235/1295
PWR 178/196/195/216
0-30 2.0/1.7/1.6/1.7
0-60 5.8/4.8/5.0/4.9
0-100 16.6/13.0/14.1/13.3
* rating 4.5/4.5/5/5

STi7 was 0.1 sec quicker than P1 from 0-60 and 0.3 sec quicker 0-100. But it does not say it is a back to back test. But 15lbft extra torque claimed. Note 20bhp/ton loss in PWR.
Old 11 October 2001, 11:45 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sam,

IIRC new sti(7?) has new heads with variable valve timing, changes to block, different, more intelligent engine management compared to stiv and VI and new six speed box.

Must be more though, anyone?

D
Old 12 October 2001, 08:24 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Sam they are Evo's figures.

I know you want to stick with a Subaru, but how about an Evo 7 Extreme or 450 thingie? The new extreme is supposed to have a much smoother ride than the old 6 Extreme, and reasonable to live with daily.

Trending Topics

Old 12 October 2001, 09:15 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Sam,

I was referring to your comment about performance and straightline speed, where the 01 car is behind the previous generation.

Straightline only of course.....

One thing to consider though....

You're contemplating swapping cars due to your gearbox - how do you "know" it's going to be a safer option with an STI 7. And if that gearbox goes, what will you do then - STI 7s won't exactly be thick on the ground at breakers yards for a cheap replacent will they?

Bearing in mind you like "tinkering" and making them faster , I would say that's something you need to think about very carefully.

As a slight aside, I have spoken to only 2 owners of STI7s - both upgraded from STI 5s and they both say they don't regret one thing - the 7 is better in every area.....

No "except looks" comments please!
Old 12 October 2001, 10:43 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

One of my local customers has an STi7 wagon with the tiptronic 6 speed box. He rates it but has only owned Porsches previously I think.

I'll be taking it out soon.
Old 12 October 2001, 12:36 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

cheers john the figures speak for them selves i presume all the figures were produced by subaru.

craig
are you speaking about the MY01 STI or the standard UK one ?

what i am thinking here, the new car handles better than the old one, better drive train ( second gearbox got me thinking), better engine, bigger intercooler etc... it must be a better starting point for me to get a fast reliable high power subaru.
so far the problem with subarus seem to be the transmission and that seem to be the biggest point in the new car.

and before you say anything i don't want to pay £3-4k for a gearbox on a road car either. i would rather have a new car

sam
Old 12 October 2001, 06:04 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

john
i do want to stick to subarus but right now it seem to be very close between an sti7 and evo7. the exreme version is out of my reach, but mine will probably be one at somepoint.

craig
true i have thought of that as well since i have never seen one on the road yet, but i would like to get an official subaru one to be honest, so the warranty may help if i keep the mods discrete and stealth and i think i know how to do that now

at the end of the day i have not done a single qtr mile event ever and i have had the car for two years, so it is not really very crucial for me. but i have done many track days and to me that all it matters.

i have decided that the car is going to go after the winter months so i have got an other 4 months to put to standard will tie up nicely with the new prodrive car unless of course it is priced at silly value then it is the import route

but what should i get

[This message has been edited by Sam Elassar (edited 12 October 2001).]
Old 13 October 2001, 08:24 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

MY01 uses Toyota Corolla bodyshell....
...tee hee

Trout
Old 14 October 2001, 11:17 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

oh well
there does not seem to be that many people over here that have moved to the new sti7 maybe, i am sure that all will change when they come officailly through subaru, if they are the right price of course ,

Old 14 October 2001, 11:53 AM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have been toying with the idea of an STI 7 but am waiting to find out how much the uk version along with a three year warranty will be.

Quite fancy the idea of the tiptronic version but waiting to find out how quick and smooth the gear changes are.

The Evo 7 extreme is a little out of my reach and to be honest by the time you get to that much money I would rather have other things like a M12 GTO or dare I say it a 330d and a large wadge of change in my pocket.

I will let you know when and what I order!!!

Old 14 October 2001, 04:00 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Unless they have made the gearbox significantly bigger, it is still going to be as weak as the old one.

The problem was the width of teh gears not being able to handle the power/torque.

They have a six speed so I am guessing the casing must be slightly bigger at least, but it still mates to the old engine so how much can they have changed.

I personally do not see this as a viable alternative to the old car.

I would rather stick with what I have and mod it significantly. Saying that the Litchfield import price did surprise me quite a lot.

I still couldnt see myself buying another subaru ever. The evos have felt so far ahead in terms of feel, and the evo 7 would certainly take some beating. The Evo 8 will probably manage it, so short of a skyline its the only thing I would consider.

None of this is ultimately relevant as nothing will knock the crown off the 22B's head, apart from maybe a 550 bhp engine.

Old 14 October 2001, 06:43 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

the problem with the old gear box is the design as it has never changed since the old 4wd pickup truck !!!!!

the new gear box i according to prodrive is a completely new design that should take a lot more abuse , it is also bigger and longer so should be good for hopefully 330lbt/ft if you need to modify at some point

what you said about the evo7 is what i have been thinking but it will be a shame to leave this community, if i have a problem i get help almost with in few minutes, has any of you seen the lancer board !!!!! it is like a ghost town

willie
have you condidered an EVO 7, maybe we should have a group guy

sam
Old 14 October 2001, 07:41 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sam,

glad to hear your changing cars,now sell me your Link and other toys to help funding.

john
Old 14 October 2001, 10:44 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

i had you in mind about the link anyway, you were going to get the first offer

the thing is whatever i will get link ecu is going to be the first mod anyway, or is it called EVOLINK then

sam
Old 15 October 2001, 07:25 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Will the Euro STi (Huh?!) be offered in wagon version?

Thanks
Richard
Old 15 October 2001, 09:09 AM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sam if you want to sell your VF23 and APS FMIC - I will gladly take them off your hands ;-)

Old 15 October 2001, 10:03 AM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Sam

Funny you should mention group buy I have made good friends with certain mitsubishi dealership and have been promised good trade ins and a test drive for a morning to see if I could live with it day to day.

BUT as I say I await prcing on th STI 7 first...

Now all I need to do is get this bandage off my foot!!
Old 15 October 2001, 12:00 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

davvers
god
that leaves me with the exhaust a few bits and pieces

i will contact you nearer the time

willie
which dealer is that? i am very tempted same as you really waiting to see how is the new sti7 with 3 year warranty thing. how much is an EVO7 through the mistu dealers ? do you think your dealer will give good trade ins for a euro import MY99?

[Edited by Sam Elassar - 10/15/2001 12:04:38 PM]
Old 15 October 2001, 02:08 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

you have mail