Spectacular display of car pannic - Die another Day

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2002, 09:29 AM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Well,

monday mornings usual drive from Derby to Milton Keynes - roads chocca as usual. I was following a safe 75-100m behind a Mondeo thingy - just as well as the chap drivig decided he was going to brake extremely hard up somebodies backside whilst changing lane (I could see it before it happened). A few seconds later I couldn't see and the ford guy was doing 900degree spin at 90mph !!! :shock:

I don't know how but he managed to avoid ALL cars and armco and continue on. Maybe he was the Die another Day stunt driver...all the same... a very lucky bunny.

Be safe out there chaps

Ian.
Old 11 November 2002, 10:43 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

paaarp!!

Hippy - I reckon he had the brake bias wound to the back

Its deffo silly season at the mo - I was overtaken by a Corsa full of cap wearing yoofs (very much like myself LOL) who proceeded to cut 2 cars in front on me, carry on up the embankment and barrel roll a few times.. I managed to stop not too far in front and ran back up, only to be greeted by a little ****** who told me to get back in my car, disappear and warned me NOT to call the Police..

needless to say out came the mobile and PC Plod was on his way

Not even a care in the world that his mate was trapped in the back and needed 2 police officers and me to force the door to get him out

Last I saw the driver and one passenger were being put in a Traffic car in handcuffs

Take it easy peeps...
Old 11 November 2002, 11:04 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ian - on the way home down South after visiting you this weekend, we passed 2 rollover accidents, and coming up Friday night passed someone who'd been t-boned on the A453 near Donington Park Services...

Silly driving season for sure,

Simon.
Old 11 November 2002, 11:09 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Wotcha doin' in MK Hippy?

Must catch you for a drink one lunch time.

Josh
Old 11 November 2002, 11:39 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I travel to Derby on a Monday morning from Kent.. we are all mad..

Saw some idiots this morning.. we are all sat in three lanes of traffic.. I am waiting to overtake the lorry in the middle lane behind a few other cars doing the same so why do three people go up my inside and try and push in??? muppets....
and then the Micra that thought sitting behind me so I couldn't see her headlights was a safe stopping distance.. even after the traffic stopped ahead and she nearly hit the back of my she continued to drive at the same close distance.
Before anyone says it no I was no hogging the outside lane..

Also a guy in a BMW broken down in the outside lane..
firstly how did he end up to stop in the outside lane.. and if unavoidable.. engine failed in slow move traffic for example so couldn't get to hardshoulder, stick the damn car in first and move it on the starter motor.. better to need a new starter motor than be squashed!!

Like wise be careful out there..

JGM
Old 11 November 2002, 11:48 AM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Mr Josh,

I'm working at VW Financial Services at the moment - something to do with going where the work is and all that .

Yeah - that sounds like a good idea - I'll try and make some time to hook up but at the momment I'm taking 15 minute lunch breaks to try and get my hours in with all the traveling - too much stuff on at home to stay down on an evening.

Take it easy m8

Ian.
Old 11 November 2002, 11:50 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Hippy,

You at Blakelands or Wymbush?

Josh
Old 11 November 2002, 11:52 AM
igratton
Scooby Regular

MIchigan Drive (H11 ???) near J14.

I also forgot to mention I saw 3 Hyundai WRC Assents in convoy (Navigators and all) - amazing sight - needless to say I didn't do a handbrake turn and try chasing them in the oil burner.

Ian.

[Edited by igratton - 11/11/2002 11:53:06 AM]
Old 11 November 2002, 12:21 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, I forgot they'd moved you lot there.

My Wife works for VAG (contractor) and was at the HQ on Blakelands for years, with a brief spell at your place, before going over to Wymbush.

Blakelands used to be somewhat of a wonderland for petrolheads. I was asked to photograph the Toyota (TTE) prototype workshops when they first moved in, and they had several other units there. It's now just MSD and Tickford really, but there's still some amazing cars to be found down there. I think the Holden HSV importers were around the back of MSD too.

You should have my numbers, give me a bell sometime.

Josh
Old 11 November 2002, 12:50 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Must be fords!!! The exact same thing happened to me the other day. Mondeo in front mis-judged the traffic speed ahead and braked too hard. His fronts locked and the backend tried to overtake - he briefly travelled sideways at a mental angle but managed to get off the brakes and the car straightened up.

I of course bricked it but was far enough behind to kill my speed with no real alarm!

Fords
Old 11 November 2002, 02:58 PM
blf21
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Do be careful out there folks...

Just bumped into a guy at work who was coming back from his granies funereal on the M6 on Friday night. It was pissing down appartantly, a lorry slowed in front of him, he locked up and the flat bed came straight through the drivers side. He ducked and has cuts and bruises and looks pretty scary but he's OK. I've no idea of any more details or if he was at fault (he was saying he was following at 50m) as he wasn't fussed about repeating the story for the nth time.

But be careful though it could happen to any of us.

Ben.
Old 11 November 2002, 03:12 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

There was a big accident on the M27 East from Southampton yesterday evening.
Old 11 November 2002, 03:17 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wink

Must be fords!!! The exact same thing happened to me the other day. Mondeo in front mis-judged the traffic speed ahead and braked too hard. His fronts locked and the backend tried to overtake - he briefly travelled sideways at a mental angle but managed to get off the brakes and the car straightened up.

I of course bricked it but was far enough behind to kill my speed with no real alarm!

Fords
*Awaits Dave T-S to suggest the Ford suffered from "Fuel surge"*

Old 11 November 2002, 03:40 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

I thought it was Saxo Boy that would suggest fuel surge and Dave T-S spending 3 pages laughing at him!
Old 11 November 2002, 03:48 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If it had been a scooby he'd have been fine as the tail swung round to the right - towards the fuel pick up
Old 11 November 2002, 04:51 PM
Wilster at Work
Scooby Regular

Saw a similar thing on the M25 a couple of years ago - was driving along in busy conditions when a petrol tanker (one of the non-articulated ones) locked up 'cos he didn't break in time for slower traffic ahead. He went broadside across all three lanes and missed everyone before swinging back round.
Old 11 November 2002, 07:34 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Nothing to do with fuel surge...just good ol' lack of due care and attention and not driving to the road conditions (and maybe not understanding what happens when you brake hard placing all the cars weight over the front wheels and yanking on the wheel).

God...listen to me preaching like an old man.

Nobody can claim to be a 100% perfect driver - we all make mistakes but I'd like to think I would never make one like this guy did.

I am also considering starting www.lane-discipline.co.uk. Its pretty certain that 90+% of drivers don't have any. It was really hammered home having several people nearly hit our XTR2 when we had that wheel failiure on the A38 near derby - scarey stuff.

Given the choice of driving on our roads.....I wouldn't.

Ian.