Gez
Ps: Whos newair?

[Edited by Gez - 11/5/2002 1:34:29 PM]
Old 11 May 2002, 02:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,
Did this with the Blackbeast. Went to a company and told em what I was looking for, my budget, they then emailed and posted me details on the cars up for auction that matched what i wanted, I selected one, paid a deposit (3 - 4k) then waited about 6 weeks or so for car to arrive, they delivered the car to me, I handed over the rest of the cash, job done.

The car was SVA'd so was road legal, speedo delimiter was added to remove the 112mph limit, and convert speedo to mph.

there is a mag out there, called something like, umm, car importing (have a look in WH Smiths) and this lists loads of car import companies. I used Dacar Imports, who were recommended to me by someone on here. not sure if they are still around (they did have an entry in this car import mag the last time i looked) if you want their details, let me know.

You might also want to have a read of this which is my impression of the whole import experience.

Why did I go import? well, it was cheaper than same year UK car, plus you usually get lots of goodies on the imports, well I did!

[Edited by Markus - 11/5/2002 2:56:48 PM]
Old 04 November 2002, 08:31 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Been looking into this for a few days now, wondered if anyone had gone this route and can share their experience, good or bad.

Seems the way it works is, you get a picture of the cars going for auction along with a report on mileage, age, features and a damage report detailing any marks on the bodywork. The car is then graded in terms of overall condition.

You then decide you want it, pay the deposit and its bought for you and shipped over on a boat to arrive 30 days or so later.
Its then SVA'd, cat1 alarm etc for UK, taxed and MOT'd ready to pick up.

Sounds good, examples I've had also seems a cheaper way of getting a top spec car over a dealer selling it.

Has anyone done this? what company did you use if you have?

Cheers

John
Old 04 November 2002, 08:48 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

John,

I looked into doing it a while back, as there are some real bargains to be had!

I got some advice from a guy I know, If I can find the mail that he sent me I will forward it across to you.

Ian
Old 04 November 2002, 08:57 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Ian

I got a quote today for an STi5 and it only worked out to 13k

Trouble is, can I wait 6-8 weeks for it to arrive

I'd have changed my mind at least 10 times by then

Is this guy running a company, what concerns me is loosing my deposit should the boat sink or something
Old 04 November 2002, 09:04 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

13K for an STi V not bad at all!

I know what you mean about the wait though, it was one of the things that put me off, I wanted the car NOW I am just impatient like that.
Old 04 November 2002, 09:10 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Brought an EVO in a couple of years ago. Was a GSR 6 and all in I think it cost me £20k including SVA, VAT, Customs and conversion plus a full service. This was at a time when 6's were going for £28-32k!

I used a company called Homestraight but they are no longer around....or if they are I can't find them.

Have heard good things abouthttp://www.neweraimports.comand am planning to use them next year!

Tim
Old 04 November 2002, 09:34 PM
Brian 1947
Scooby Regular

Talking

I used Newera earlier this year to source and buy for me. No problems-kept to time schedule. Don't worry about sinking! Insurance was only £30-they used a HUGE car carrier, thousands arriving at Southampton on just one ship.

Brian
Old 04 November 2002, 09:40 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Newairimports are well expensive and so are Japvillage! I used to know the guys that were doing it and we would buy a Jap import, bring it over and then put about £3000 atleast! Its mad money.

I imported my car myself. Its a 95 wrx import with 32k on the clock, 2 sets of alloys, some tuning goodies and lets just say i got it REALLY cheap with all import costs, sva etc.

Ive got a companies email address so email me and ill give send it you (just have to find it)! They were excellent and can probaly find you a car much chepaer than you were quoted. When i was looking to go through them, they were finding cars about £2000 cheaper than everyone else! Really is worth it mate.

They also supply you any other info you need.

Also if you email me, im a member of quite a few subaru auctions in Japan (dad is in the subaru trade) so i will see if i can find anything cheap for you as well.
Old 05 November 2002, 10:42 AM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

I've Just used newera to bring a car in.
Don't understand how they are expensive though!
I paid the auction price for the car plus the usual shipping and customs fee.
Newera charge a fee for doing the work in Japan but make no money on the car. Miguel sent me a zip file with 26 pictures highlighting any bumps, scratches etc, showing any extras and interesting bits. He's a good bloke to talk to and very knowledgable.

Paul
Old 05 November 2002, 12:14 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

Save even more money and do it yourself, I'd never done it b4 and bought and brand new STi5 TypeR and after tax SVA, alarm. Imob, ICE etc spent under 20k...

Its not the minefield everyone thinks.

I didnt want my car to arrive until i was ready and dealer done all SVA work for me, I simply picked the docs paid the tax arrived at a date and time with SVA centre bobs ur uncle and off to local DVLA office car sorted. You can also have your car shipped in an air tight container so if it does sink it wont get wet, might cost a few quid to recover but you'll get your car???

You wont get a deal like that from a dealer and that price included 2hols that always sways the other half....

E-mail me if you want more details and a good contact no.
Old 05 November 2002, 12:26 PM
springbok
Scooby Regular

Lee imports scoobs and other Jap cars, have a look at WRX.CO.UK
Old 05 November 2002, 12:50 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

I bought my car in from japan a lot cheaper than many importers in UK. Ive done the same for a few friends. Its easy to bring it in yourself. Find yourself a japnese car dealer wo can access auctions, send him your spec with a budget, he will send you pics of the car be4 he bids etc etc. If you get the car he will drive it on roll on roll off ferry boat, you receive bill of lading, de-reg docs invoice etc. Once the car arrives (approx 2months later) you take a trip to customs clearance pay 10%import tax and VAT, get car convrted kmh-mph etc, drive down to SVA centre, assuming its passed you can register the car. It can be a long process but definately enjoyable especially when you have saved a load of money.
If you want i can bring one in for you. Piece of cake.

Cheers

Gez
Old 05 November 2002, 01:29 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

well said Gez. It really is easy and is much cheaper than the UK importers. What newair used to do is find a scooby at an auction for £5000 and tell you atleast £7000 so you think you are getting a bargain. What you dont know is they just made a quick £2000 out of you plus their fee!

All those that have emailed me, i have replied.
Old 05 November 2002, 01:40 PM
scrappy_doo
Scooby Regular

I got mine from
http://www.japaneseimports.co.uk/
Old 06 November 2002, 08:57 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Gez, i dont really import cars. Ive imported a few for a few mates and helped others on scoobynet. Always got imports availiable if wanted though. Round the side of my dads garage, there is a guy who has loads of imports! We get them quite cheap as well : )