Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2001, 03:43 PM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is only related to scoobs in as much as much as its car and import relatedness.

I have mentioned on here before my aspirations to own a Smart Car as a second car and my intention to import one since I saved so much on the scoob. I thought this would be a piece of cake since Smarts are currently only available with the steering wheel on the wrong side.

Current OTR price in UK for the basic model is £5700. The best EU import price I was able to find was just under £5000. However, as fellow importers will know this does not include first registration fee, road tax, the three year warranty (in UK you get 24K 3 year warranty), number plates etc., or the cost of going to get it.

In conclusion I believe you will not save more that a couple of hundred quid importing a Smart. In my opinion its not worth the hassle.

So I thought I would probably buy a Smart from a UK dealer. However, after having a chat with the pleasant fellow in the dealership it appears that they are going to bring out a RHD version around Xmas some time. Residuals will not be too jolly on LHD versions after that methinks.

I was informed that the RHD version will be in the region of 6-700 more expensive. I will not put up with this kind of discrimination against us RHDing British folk, so that was pretty much the end of our conversation. However I had a very good look round and though you might like to know what I think of the cars.

Oddly, the drivers seat and passenger seat are slightly offset with the passenger usually sitting very slightly behind the driver. On the plus side, there is loads of legroom, awesome economy, stylish design, a surprising amount of storage space (I saw a guy get a wheelchair in the back while I was there!) and black does not cost extra! On the negative side, no spare wheel and nowhere to hide valuables that is out of sight and of course some may feel that only two seats is a disadvantage. The diesel version which is even more awesomely economical is not yet available in the UK.

I have bought something else instead. I'm not telling you what it is because you will laugh but if you really want to know I just found out (after the purchase) that it is the cheapest car to run (p/mile) currently listed in what car.

Maybe I'll bring it along to the next meet in the Bracknell vicinity and you can all stand in awe at my mpg figures :P
Old 21 September 2001, 04:28 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

I think we will just stand in awe......

Actually I quite like the look of them, very impressive colour range and quite a little marvel...

Work up in Birmingham some days, and drive from the M42 NEC junction towards town. Theres a large Smart Garage there with at least 50 of the things..
b

J
Old 21 September 2001, 04:45 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Did you consider importing a used one?

Ps. I saw three transporters with 11(yes: eleven) of them on each!

Very 'smart' they looked too.
Old 21 September 2001, 05:15 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

I am also looking at this - beware that you would need to swap the headlights over to UK RHD ones to get past an MoT... a lot of used Smart dealers don't seem to mention this. May also need a fog light.

Simon.
Old 21 September 2001, 05:22 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dr Nick:
<B>I have bought something else instead. I'm not telling you what it is because you will laugh but if you really want to know I just found out (after the purchase) that it is the cheapest car to run (p/mile) currently listed in what car.[/quote]

Perodua Nippa and I claim my five pounds!

Old 22 September 2001, 10:31 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

they are fun to drive, but not going round corners! and the 0-60 is crap! definitely need air-cond coz the glass roof will trap lots of hot air inside.

nevertheless, i too thinking about getting one, probably wait for a used RHD.