Sponsored by:

Favourite Road - What's yours called?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2000, 05:04 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Don't know if this thread has been run before - but what is YOUR favourite bit of road - and does it depend on what car you are driving?

I was put on mind of this by a spectacular bit of road that is featured in the MY00 Golf brochure - pages 18-21 - just stunning.

All of my favourites are in Scotland and I have never had the chance to take the Scooby there yet

But one of the best is round Loch Rannoch and the the road over to Rannoch from Loch Tay past Schiehallion

Rannoch
Old 12 February 2000, 06:53 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Rannoch
If you are taking the Scoob up to your favourite road anytime make a slight detour on the way.
Leave A74M at Beattock , take A701 from Moffat to Edinburgh .
1st part winds steeply up side of Clyde Law past Devils Beef Tub ?!!
2nd part dives through glen tracking R Tweed. Plenty of 2nd/3rd with stretches full on in 4th. Shows off the superb traction we all enjoy from our Scoobs. Plenty of unusual cambers hidden apexes and one car per mile on a busy day !!!
Enjoy.......J

p.s. Gotta agree about Loch Rannoch, as long as you don't mind passengers never speaking to you again !!
Old 12 February 2000, 06:54 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Rannoch
If you are taking the Scoob up to your favourite road anytime make a slight detour on the way.
Leave A74M at Beattock , take A701 from Moffat to Edinburgh .
1st part winds steeply up side of Clyde Law past Devils Beef Tub ?!!
2nd part dives through glen tracking R Tweed. Plenty of 2nd/3rd with stretches full on in 4th. Shows off the superb traction we all enjoy from our Scoobs. Plenty of unusual cambers hidden apexes and one car per mile on a busy day !!!
Enjoy.......J

p.s. Gotta agree about Loch Rannoch, as long as you don't mind passengers never speaking to you again !!
Old 12 February 2000, 08:00 PM
WigWam
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes ! the Loch Rannoch roads are superb especially the high pass in the Spring when there`s snow at the top still.

Any highland road though is paradise if as I do you live in London.

Do they still do those trains to Scotland which take the car on it?
Old 12 February 2000, 09:30 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

The A701 must be better than I thought 'cos I've posted it twice. Doh.....
Old 12 February 2000, 11:50 PM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham with 620BHP & 530lb/ft @1.5bar boost on road fuel.
Basingstoke ring road at 0400hrs.

Can't beat the Highlands though!

Ben
Old 13 February 2000, 12:23 AM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

my fav road has to be from my house - (a place called Fryup) to Pickering (North Yorkshire)- it has all sorts, the first 15 miles are the best - no cars - might meet one a day if your lucky - I also like driving near Richmond and Lake District way
Old 13 February 2000, 12:47 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

The road from Bala to Macynlleth (A479 I think) or any road in the Snowdonia National Park. Oh, and our local industrial estate in the winter!
Old 13 February 2000, 12:55 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Cool

I drove the road across the North Yorkshire Moors on Thursday - from Whitby, past Fylingdales to Pickering, and it was superb. Long sweeping open-sighted bends, couple of tight corners, chicanes, straights, and little traffic.
Old 13 February 2000, 11:07 AM
D Brown
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

B8073 Tobermory to Dervaig (at night) wins any day, eh rally fans?
Old 13 February 2000, 11:55 AM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

Buxton to Macclesfield
Old 13 February 2000, 06:43 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Cool

Doc Jock - yep done that one - lived in Edinburgh for 12 years!

There is a great single track road over the moors on the way from the M6 to Sellafield. One of my colleagues was tearing along there one day to see a BMW upside down in the heather with the guy inside very confused talking to someone on his mobile (how did he get a signal!)

Also agree about passengers and Loch Rannoch roads - my favourite car there to date was a 1.5 Alfasud - done it in quicker cars - but the Sud was the most fluent.

Rannoch
Old 13 February 2000, 07:11 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Cool

Rannoch, I know the very road you mean. Its called Corney Fell. Used to be used for road rallies in days gone by. Theres another similair road to the north called Cold Fell. Comes down from A5086 through Ennerdale and over to Sellafield. Great road but not as long as Corney. Goes past the forest that the Ford WRC team use for testing.
There are too many good roads to list in the northern lakes.
Old 13 February 2000, 07:23 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey Tony Nesta - I didnt actually mean that road, but that one is also a great drive !
Are you local to this area or were you just on tour ?
Old 13 February 2000, 08:41 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

....the exit road from my workplace carpark.

[This message has been edited by blubs (edited 13-02-2000).]
Old 13 February 2000, 09:46 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Purley Way, Croydon.....
Old 13 February 2000, 09:48 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Purley Way, Croydon.....the Flyover bit near IKEA where you can do 90mph round a sharp right-hander and then get zapped by the GATSO hiding behind the tree
Old 13 February 2000, 09:49 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

PS...why can't i see the option to DELETE MESSAGES anymore?
Old 13 February 2000, 09:53 PM
Howie
Scooby Regular

hey Gazzer, Macc to Buxton is cool specially Setter Dog upto the Cat and Fiddle ;-) had a bump in my old MR2 a years ago, I was coming up out of Macc past "Ears" behind a couple of slow boats, as we approached the last straight before the Setter Dog I though if I don't overtake now , I wont get a clean run into the corner past the setter, you know the one with the weird camber that sends the bikers into hi sides, as I was overtaking the bloke at the front suddenly turned right up a farm track right in front of me, ... screeeech, bang!!! "f*ck!!"

Another couple of faves are the Snake Pass , Glossop to Sheffield, was up there a few weeks ago in scoobs, 4 inches of snow...... awesome fun! Power slides, 4wheel drift , opposites locks. cannot wait for another dump over the hills!

The other is Queensferry to Porthmadog "The Manchester to Abersoch run" via Corwen, Bala and Trawsfynned, combines just about all types of roads with awesome views. In the "olden days" we used to blast down to Abersoch from Manchester in under 2 hours, and a few close shaves with sheep I might add!

cheers
Howie

[This message has been edited by Howie (edited 13-02-2000).]
Old 14 February 2000, 07:47 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

I'm keeping my favourites a closely guarded secret just incase there're any "boys-in-blue" scanning this BBS

Paul L
Old 14 February 2000, 08:41 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Unlimited ammount of them in the wilds of West Wales Plenty of forestry tracks too... Aberystwyth areas are superb though.

Only 1 speed camera in Ceredigion too!!

Gethin
MY97 WRX
Old 14 February 2000, 09:08 AM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Anyone that knows the single lane road from Bala to Lake Vyrnwy (yes this is spelt correctly, remember there are no vowels in the Welsh language , quickly followed by the lane that runs around the lake and then off to the south of Bala lake..............tremendous!!!!!
Old 14 February 2000, 09:08 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Only used this road twice, both times to get to Goodwood Festival of Speed. The A272 across to Petersfield and beyond to Goodwood from the A23. Excellent mixture of open and closed bends/curves, long straights with plenty of vision, an interesting level crossing and a particularly nasty long left and immediate long right before road goes up a steep hill under the cover of trees

Look forward to using it to get to the festival this year...now when is that P1 arriving

Yex
Old 14 February 2000, 09:31 AM
WAL
Scooby Regular

Cool

Can concur A272 is great fun, personally prefer the "left hand side" thats from the West Meon Hut junction heading west. Sunday morning v.early is best as you avoid the insane bikers and Police that also enjoy it! If you are really in the mood turn right at the end and up to Farnham. I can only recommend going early as the road can get packed and is a nightmare.
Old 14 February 2000, 10:02 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Smile

Can't believe no one has mentioned the A686
from JCN40 of M6 (Penrith) over the top of the Pennines, through Alston and down towards Hexham and Newcastle Upon Tyne, completly and utterly fab road, with switchbacks, long open moorland sweepers, and even snow on the top if you're in winter....the best road I have ever driven (I always go that way across the top of the country now, just to drive it)

Watch out for the mad "up for it" bikers though!!! - theres a cafe at the top of Hartside Fell with pictures and posted times of all the bikers, and even a grim pinboard of all the accidents the bikers have had.

Everyone MUST drive this road before they sell the Scoob............
Old 14 February 2000, 12:15 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Would agree with DocJock on the A701. Infact I'll be on it tomorrow morning!

Second choice would be the stretch of the old A702 from the M74 down to join the A76 just before Thornhill.

The Glenn Devon road from Knockhill to Gleneagles. Did that last Friday after the track day. Almost ("almost") kept up with my mate in the FTO.

To be honest. There are loads of good drivers roads up here.

As a side issue. Has anyone else noticed that they have finally started to put up speed cameras on the A9 south of Perth? So much for not hiding them! In that case, why are the two between Gleneagles and Auchterarder, hidden behind road signs!

Enjoy....
Old 14 February 2000, 12:37 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Philip, I was in Harrogate for a couple of days, and took a trip over the moors for a good blast. I live near Ormskirk, Lancs.
Old 14 February 2000, 12:58 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

hey geezer, snap

my mate has a factory round there.

i love that road at 1am on my way home after fixing his PC etc.

had a copper chase me from bala towards england, i was in my cossie at the time, didnt know it was a copper, took him 10 miles to catch me.

He let me off after i told him my mates name, top copper i thought. PS he was in a 24V carlton but didnt bother with his lights till he was right up with me, im sure he was enjoying the road aswell.
Old 14 February 2000, 02:10 PM
Simon R
Scooby Regular

Cool

Howie / ^ Gazza ^

Yeah! The Macclesfield to Buxton road RULES!

Everytime I take the car out, this road HAS to be included in the route, it doesn't matter where I'm going.

Quite often I'll turn round and drive it again ( sometimes far too often )

Shame it's so popular with the bikers though, plenty of accidents (read deaths) have meant this road is covered by a police chartered plane over the summer months

CU there

Simon
Old 14 February 2000, 02:19 PM
Stu
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

All this is great unless you live in London! Does anyone have any recomendations for roads within an hour of London?

Quick Reply: Favourite Road - What's yours called?