Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30mph, how many of u...

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2001, 10:26 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..have tried sticking to 30 in a 30 zone? It's damn difficult. I try to, but inevitably the speed creeps up a little. I was doing 30 yesterday and had people almost pushing me along the road. So close, all I could see in the rear view were windscreen wipers and dash. This happens every time I try to stick to 30. Not always 30, quite often in 40's aswell. People start to get edgy and risk pulling stupid ot manouvers.
We then get the hollier than thou contingent telling us we are the spawn of Satan for daring to go over 30.
If I'm going past a school when kids are around I slow down. If going down narrow roads or roads with cars parked down either / both sides I slow down, normally to under 30. If however I'm on a lightly populated main road with little risk of kids / adult stepping out then I adjust appropriately. Thats the great thing about being human. Being able to make informed and independant decisions. There will always be the few that think it's clever to do 60 in a 30.
There are alot of places that the 30 limit is just not appropriate and should be raised to 40.

P.
Old 14 September 2001, 10:33 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Boring.......the law is the law, just do it, try using third gear. Lets stop moaning about the speed limit, we all know places we can go a bit faster, lets worry about something else.
Old 14 September 2001, 10:54 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I have to admit that I'm very cautious about the lower speed limits myself, although I agree that people quite often seem to be pushing me along.

I don't think anyone's going to argue with a couple of miles an hour, but they do seem to be lowering the speed that triggers the gatsos. A couple of weeks ago in Aylesbury I went past an active camera (using Bell 550) at exactly 30, yet some twit came haring up behind me trying to push me along. The guy behind him was only marginally quicker (hadn't quite caught up) yet he managed to trip the camera. He could only have been doing 33-34. At that point I really felt like asking the pratt behind to consider that I had just saved him £60, and kindly **** off!

There's only one thing more difficult than driving a Scoob at 30, and that's driving at 80 on the motorway. Everyone else seems to be doing either 50 or 95.
Old 14 September 2001, 11:06 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

davyboy,

it might be boring, but often the law is an ***!!!

People are starting to question whether speed limits that are "ignored" by the majority of drivers are realistic. There are rules as to whether reduced limits can be applied (95th percentile etc), but how many drivers know about this, or where to object. Once the limit has been reduced - it is too late to try to change things.

Sadly the people that make the rules, don't seem to have to use the roads that they are enforcing

mb
Old 14 September 2001, 11:26 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

In a large number of cases (I do know there are exceptions) the 30mph limits are there for good reasons. Even those that seem to be there for no reason usually have a very good reason just you are not aware why.

I do try to stick to the 30mph limit. I do find myself crawling up to 35mph occasionaly, but most times, I can do the whole section without speeding.

Reason I do this ? Well, about three years ago a 4 year old girl rolled down her driveway and into the road on her bike right in front of me. I managed to stop, just, and I mean just, missed her by about 3 inches. I had been doing about 35mph.

Even though I could see what was happening (bike appearing, rolling across pavement, rolling into road, rolling onto my side of the road), the brakes just didn't seem to be working quickly enough. Actually, my brain worked fine and got the signal to my leg just fine and the fluid in the pipes pressurised up just fine and the pistons moved the pads onto the discs just fine, but was still very slow.

What I'm saying is this. You are driving a large, heavy piece of metal. A small child's skull is no match.

OK, you say, I'm always careful, I know what I am doing, I drive a good car, has good brakes etc. But I bet you still get distracted by changing tapes/CDs, answering mobiles, reading billboards etc. This is when all those little delays add up. 30mph will give that child a better chance by giving you time to see them and react quickly enough.

When I think that I could be sitting here with the death of a little girl on my conscience, well, doesn't bear thinking about. What is another minute on your journey time ?

No apologies. Please stick to 30mph, (or less).

Ian
Old 14 September 2001, 11:44 PM
blf21
Scooby Regular

Wink

I take great pleasure in sticking to the limit, or *less*. Most especially 20 or 30 mph limits. Then when you leave the village or town, staying in 3rd gear, accelerate up to the national limit in 3rd - and all those gets behind who were right up yer **** - are miles behind. No increased risk, no law breaking, just a big grin...

Don't get me on to those people who just drive 40mph *everywhere*, regardless of the road and conditions... arghhhhh!!!!
Old 15 September 2001, 01:55 AM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

If you drive a Vectra GSi you can do nothing other than use a lower gear. Third normally!
Old 15 September 2001, 07:35 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Smile

As has been said...........drop it a gear or two.

As for tailgaters, either ignore them (you get used to it) or slow down more to give them a hint.

DJ
Old 15 September 2001, 08:57 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by blf21:
<B>I take great pleasure in sticking to the limit, or *less*. Most especially 20 or 30 mph limits. Then when you leave the village or town, staying in 3rd gear, accelerate up to the national limit in 3rd - and all those gets behind who were right up yer **** - are miles behind. No increased risk, no law breaking, just a big grin...
[/quote]

This is <I>exactly</I> what I do!

I've got no time for people who speed through 30mph zones - it ain't big and it ain't clever....

Sal
Old 15 September 2001, 11:08 AM
chopper
Scooby Regular

I had a police car follow me through a 3 mile stretch of 30 zone yesterday - I obviously kept it at 30 but half way through, he had been driving so close behind me he got fed up and overtook me!! Let's hope he was being called to an emergency, otherwise I should have chased after him and given him a 'citizens speeding ticket'!
Old 15 September 2001, 11:10 AM
alexf
Scooby Regular

Yep third gear is a must for sticking to the 30 mph limit in the appropriate areas, not that many other drivers seem to know this Have lost count of the number of times I've been overtaken in residential areas by drivers too stupid or impatient to realize why those limits are in force.

IMHO it is not worth the risk of speeding in these areas - if need be pull over and let others past. I have seen disgusting examples of journalism when high powered cars are involved in RTAs, especially where children are involved. The attitude seems to be "he/she was driving a fast car, therefore they must have been going too fast and caused the crash" Save it for the track.

Alex

[This message has been edited by alexf (edited 15 September 2001).]
Old 15 September 2001, 11:21 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by blf21:
<B>
Don't get me on to those people who just drive 40mph *everywhere*, regardless of the road and conditions... arghhhhh!!!![/quote]

I got stuck behind one of these ***** last night on the road from Cambridge to Bishop's Stortford thru' Newport et al (I'm sure Puff knows it). Needless to say when we got to the national limit bits I was so far behind that by the time I caught up there was no overtaking opportunity. Then sit behind at 45-50 until the next village and watch them disappear into the distance in the 30 limit. Repeat procedure
Old 15 September 2001, 12:30 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Drop a cog...

Easiest way to stick to the 30/40 limit is to leave the car in a lower gear

Don't find it a prob to stick to 30s/40s as required but find that sometimes rural limits are stupid 40 through my village that really should be a 30 and 30 across 1/2 mile of unpopulated straight road 3 miles away

As for people behind me, then its up to them...
Old 15 September 2001, 04:23 PM
evo kid
Scooby Regular

always stick to the 30/40 mph limits as the adverts say just a couple of mph over the limit could cost some one there life if they steped out in front of you (which they always seam to do )and how many of us could live with the guilt of killing a child?

i always do the same as Scooby chick hold them all up at dead on 30mph then as soon as the national limit sighn passes just leave them all behind always puts a grin on my face
Old 15 September 2001, 07:24 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Just my personal opinion but i still think theres more and more tighter speed limits being set just so they can take more money off you for exceeding them.... easier!

a thirty limit is an arbitrary thing - a good driver will read road conditions and drive accordingly. Theres 30 limits locally that make no sense yet the local village is crying out for a 20 limit....

Still love licking past the mundano brigade on a 60 limit then sticking to the 30 limit when you get to it tho!

Old 15 September 2001, 09:40 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Since 2 events in my life, I ALWAYS stick to 30mph...

Event 1 - got 2 sp30s, well 1 now I've done my 'tour of duty'.... don't need an excuse to plant the pedal in the Scoob....

Event 2 - some chap tried REAL hard to write my Scoob off by driving into it. Thankfully my daughter wasn't in it, but my wife and I were. As a result I've been driving a Micra courtesy car fo the last 6 weeks.... try going over 30mph - it's bloody difficult!!

Dan
Old 16 September 2001, 09:45 AM
Jon Jonzz
Scooby Regular

I try to keep to the lower speed limits 30 m.p.h and 40 m.p.h., because this is where the greatest risk to people and/or animals is, plus where Plod is likely to be lurking. A lower gear does help here - for me that's 4th (six speed gear box).

A lot people seem to drive at a uniform 40-50 m.p.h. - which usually means the wrong speed - i.e. too fast in the villages and too slow outside them.
Old 16 September 2001, 10:08 AM
RobScreene
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I agree on the gears. I am resolute on the 30mph in a 30 zone.

I must confess, I sometimes allow 5-10mph speedo error in 40 zones, though only if there's a wide view around the edges of the road.

Third is perfect for aurally knowing 30mph, 4th helps for 40 limits.

The acid test for me is the a322? road in Bracknell, downhill dual carriageway, central crash barriers, 70ft visible between the hedges and roadside, but it's a 40 limit. Everybody overtakes me.

I think I'll be using third more when the s/s magnex b/b is fitted tomorrow!
Rob.
Old 16 September 2001, 11:20 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Interesting comments. But why the use of 3rd gear. When I'm in 3rd at 30, the car surges forward with light use of the throttle. Close to the boost zone. 4th gear and I'm not even close to boost. Can stamp my foot on the throttle and not alot happens.
Confused.

P.
Old 16 September 2001, 02:45 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Usually stick to them, often for safety (villages etc) and at other times just for relaxation and avoidance of points/fines. The hardest one I know is an M1 slip road into London which is a 30 zone despite being a normal motorway slip road (i.e. easily could be an 70 zone and safe). I think it's to make drivers reacclimatise to normal speeds after cruising at 90 on the motorway for an hour or two i.e. the police expect people to speed, but use an artificially low limit to get people down to 40-50mph. Still an incredibly stupid limit though.
Old 16 September 2001, 02:49 PM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DocJock:
<B>As for tailgaters, either ignore them (you get used to it) or slow down more to give them a hint.[/quote]

Windscreen washers. Works every time.

Old 17 September 2001, 12:12 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

I saw a complete knobber a few weeks back in Coventry doing around 60MPH in a 30 just as the kids were coming out of their schools

Was a young lad in a B Reg XR31 with his face on the windscreen

Since buying the ITR Im happy to engage 4th gear at 30mph and sit back
Old 17 September 2001, 12:25 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Question

<B>..Then when you leave the village or town, staying in 3rd gear, accelerate up to the national limit in 3rd - and all those gets behind who were right up yer **** - are miles behind...[/quote]

Here's a question...

I had a Volvo tailgating me through a 30 zone in a village once. I was travelling at 30, with the unrestriced zone up ahead. At the sign, I started to accellarate and at the same time Mr Volvo starts to overtake. Now, I could have easily blasted off and left him, but since he was overtaking I thought it best to let him complete it. He obviously thought I was a "slow" driver since I was sticking to the speed limit .

If I had of put my foot down and left him on the wring side of the road, would I have been in the wrong? I waited for the 60 zone and then started to accellarate, so I was OK as far as I can see, but I thought that you should not try and speed up if someone was trying to over take you?

Old 17 September 2001, 11:55 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yeah, with Ian on Pre MY01 cars the headlamp washers are only there for that purpose.

I was doing 30 in a 30 near work on Friday morning and the nurk behind me wanted to go faster, I spotted squirrel from the corner of my eye about to disappear under the wheels, so I braked.

The tool behind me couldn't see why I was braking, so deciding as I was a moron, he headed up the cycle lane to my left, then spotted "Tufty" and screeched to a very wobbly and embarassing halt, then continued on about an inch behind me and had a good old blather at me.

An utter t1t and potential killer.
Old 17 September 2001, 01:05 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!:
<B>Drop a cog...

Easiest way to stick to the 30/40 limit is to leave the car in a lower gear

[/quote]

Thats actually a great idea!

Old 17 September 2001, 01:14 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Tricky one, that one (the Volvo experience). Happens to me quite often, being one of those anoying 30 mile-an-hour types.
I let'em overtake & then whip past them. Usually they only want to do 42 anyway (as they did in town). Accelerating while they try to overtake only annoys them, and they were bad enough in the first place...

[This message has been edited by nom (edited 17 September 2001).]
Old 17 September 2001, 01:33 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

The beauty of cruise control made for these situations.

When followed too closely by a Police car, best thing is to brake suddenly (to avoid the dog running out of 'that' driveway ) and watch the cop car squirm
Old 17 September 2001, 02:10 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DocJock:
<B>As for tailgaters, either ignore them (you get used to it) or slow down more to give them a hint.

DJ[/quote]

Agreed DJ, but do you have to do on track as well
Old 17 September 2001, 02:24 PM
mark.coleman
Scooby Regular

We've probably all seen how much people get frustrated behind a slow driver, whether it's the law or not regarding a speed limit. Peoples safe driving than goes out the window.

MC
Old 17 September 2001, 04:03 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Okay, this may antagonise some people, but I've had a bad day, so I feel like playing devil's advocate.
A lot has been said about sticking to the limit in 40 zones. What about all the "new" 40 zones that used to be National Speed Limit? Can I speed here?
A lot of these zones also now have double, solid white line, so if you get stuck behind "Mr 45 everywhere" you're really shafted.

N.B. Just because the limit is 30, doesn't mean that 30 is safe. Would you do 30 on sheet ice past a school in winter? "But officer, I was only doing 28 mph"

Quick Reply: 30mph, how many of u...