Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legacy vs Cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2001, 01:22 PM
ANDY330
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only joking, although i am interested in some knowledge on these!

I havent seen many of these legacys around, so much so that when it came behind me on the A3 near Guildford (blue estate) a few months back, I couldnt properly work out what it was although guessed at a subaru with the bonnet scoop. We didnt race as I pulled over to get off the A3, but did notice that the bloke driving put his foot down and didnt half pull off, and that was with a roof box, two bikes on the back, luggage in the boot and 4-5 people in the car!!! I was gobsmacked at how quick this thing moved away and just wondering what the spec is and what these are like compared to impreza's. Looks more refined than the impreza, almost like the scorpio cosworth compared to sapph cosworth, just this one has more bite

cheeRS

Andy
Old 13 September 2001, 02:33 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Yalright Andy

Not seen you on the RSBB for a while. Staying away from the battles?

Bren
Old 13 September 2001, 05:15 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a Legacy GTB, 276bhp and import only.
Not quite STi quick due to the extra weight but damn quick for it's size. Lovely looker too IMHO.

Stef.
Old 13 September 2001, 05:26 PM
ANDY330
Scooby Regular

Bren,

how ya doin! na not staying away, just had two weeks off while i moved back up North and only been on the last few days. More busy in this job too so cant get on as much

Stef,

that it then is it? it was blue, all bodykitted with big alloys etc, but **** me did it go when moving even with all that weight in and on it! and an estate too!

Reason I put this post up, one came behind me this morning too in Wilmslow from out of no where. Quite strange looking from the front, doesnt have quite the aura about it that the impreza does, although the new impreza looks as ugly as the bullfrog scorpio
Old 14 September 2001, 12:53 AM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, Legacy GTB... got me one of those a few weeks ago It's a tiptronic version so <I>only 260 bhp</I> but still damned rapid.

Very different power delivery to the Impreza turbo 'cos of the twin-turbo set up. 1st ("small" turbo) comes in at about 1,800rpm, 2nd ("big" turbo) comes in at 5,000rpm. So to be in the power band you need to be well up the revs.

Apparently capable of 160mph - I cr@pped out well before then. Let's just say due to the long gearing of the tiptronic model when your cruising on the motorway the 2nd turbo doesn't kick in until your doing 120mph From there it pulls like crazy so I've no doubt that 160mph is a very attainable attainable speed. (at least one legacy saloon is known to have done 170+mph with a little assistanmce from Mr Croney's exhaust system!).
Old 14 September 2001, 11:58 AM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Smile

Exactly why I've got one on order (the saloon, not the estate)

Q-car looks, a couple of turbos, and a ride that will let me do 30,000 miles a year in comfort, but still handle well enough to chuck it about when the feeling takes
Old 14 September 2001, 01:45 PM
ANDY330
Scooby Regular

ahhhhhhh two turbos eh!!! explains why he pulled away so quickly at 90+ then!
Old 14 September 2001, 02:04 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Twin turbos so there's an art to making it go fast. The first is a low pressure number so if you bury your foot to the floor it gives you loads of lag and no power whilst the second is a more standard high pressure so foot to the floor gives you 280bhp straight to the road. So ease in the power and then nail it. To answer the speculation I had to do a mercy dash to hospital in mine a couple of months ago at 3 in the morning. The speedo read just over 160 before I ran out of road and it felt absolutely solid on the road (which is more than could be said for my nerves afterwards. This is the best car I've ever owned and I'd recommend it to anyone who longs for an impreza but needs more space.