Speed Check Box on Lamp Post

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2001, 01:21 PM
Tigger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I don't know if anyone can help with this but here goes:

Yesterday I was travelling to work along an A road doing the 40mph limit (this has recently been changed to 40 from National Speed Limit) when I saw a box similar to those ones that you get telling you to "SLOW" when you go over the sensors in the road stuck onto a lamp post facing the oncoming traffic but on the opposite side of the road.

When I looked in my rear view mirror the thing had got "Speed Check" on it. Strange I thought, never noticed it before.

When I finished work on the night I went back that way to have a gawp at it and see what the hell it was, low and behold the thing had gone - has it been beemed up or is it a mobile camera doobry. Can anyone shed some light as I am never going to speed down that road again!!!!

Many thanks and before anyone asks this isn't a wind up!

Gem
Old 13 September 2001, 02:02 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a guess, but local councils used to do surveys of how fast people went along certain roads - by using two rubber tubes a known distance apart, on the road.

Now technology is better, it may be something similar - i.e. checks your speed by radar rather than by driving over the tubes. Hence it being temporary - might have been up since they reduced the speed limit, to check that people were in fact slowing down.

Just a guess, as I said.