Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sti MY01 tech details (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2001, 10:25 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supposed to be under wraps until 93 minutes time - its nearly tomorrow I guess. I got this press release and just typed it in. It is not exactly phrased very well and forgive my typos. it has the main data:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The 265PS, six speed road-rocket will be unveiled aton subaru's stand at the frankfurt motor show at 1500 hrs tuesday 11th september 2001. Two versions are offered for europe - the 'standard' STi and the special edition STi Prodrive style with prodrive spoilers, front grill and front bumper.

Prices will be announced closer to the january 2002 on-sale-date

instantly recogniseable as wrx range toppers, both models have smoked glass projector beam headlamps, bigger bonnet air intakes and a single large diameter rear exhaust pipe.

Other shared differences to the regular WRX include special gold coloured alloy wheels colour keyed sill spoilers and an interior featuring blue suede effect seats with STi logos and red stitching for the steering wheel, gear **** and handbrake lkever.

Also inside, and sure to please the enthusiasts is a switch to spray the intercooler with water. Another device allows the driver to preset a warning buzzer and light to guard against over-revving the engine.

On opening the bonnet, the engine compartment greets owners to a dramatic mixture of colours and detailing. The intake manifold is painted red and the enlarged aluminum intercooler has Sti emblazoned on it.

In addition, the STi Prodrive style featuers a massive high riding boot spoiler , newly designed sill spooilers and a deeper squarer front bumper. The grill and badging resemble ttomorrowhe WRC car.

Interior enhancements over the standard sti include dark blue coloured instruments with red needles.

The impreza STi and Sti prodrive will be available in four colours: WR Blue mica, Blue Black Mica, Premium Silver Metallic and Pure White.

The STi has a top speed of 148mph and a 0-60 time of 5.2s from an engine that has been specially designed to meet Euro community whole vehicle type approval standards unlike the japanese home market.

ENGINE IN DETAIL:
+ tuned by sti
+ larger air to air intercooler with water spray
+ Sodium filled exhaust valves
+ hollow intake valves
+ reinforced engine block and connecting rods
+ foged pistons
+ shimless valve lifters
+ Active valve control system (variable valve timing)
+ 265 PS and 253 Lb ft or torque

Up to 80% of the sti's all alloy engine is new compared to the standard turbocharged 2.0 ltr boxxer unit as fitted to the wrx. Extensive and painstaking modification by subaus motor sport division , STi Inc combine the utmost durability, perormance, and throttle response with fuel economy, noise and emmission levels expected of a road car.

in order to meet the stringent euro3 exhaust emmissions levels, the catalustis uprated, the air-fuel sensor modofied and the special multi-hole fuel injectors fitted. Engine strength and rigity are boosted by using semi-closed-deck cylinder blocks, reshaping the piston head, fitting screw-in type connecting rods and using forged pistons and shimless valve lifters.

Also aimed at high-rev durability are thesodium exhaust valves and hoillow intake valves. A larger intercooler and air intake provide beter cooling and special intercooler water spray is fitted, operated by the driver with the water tank fitted in the boot. Also specifically fitted to the sti is Subaru active valve control system (VVT) which ensures maximum engine response over a wide rev-range.

The result is a max power output of 265 PS (261.5bhp/195kW) at an accessible 6000rpm and253 lb ft of torque at an equally useable 4000rpm.

This compares with the wrx [218PS @ 5600 and 215Lb ft of torque at 3600rpm --- a significant increase of 47PS and 47.6lb ft.

As with the normal WRX, the horizontally opposed four cam boxer engine has a bore and stroke of 92x75 mm for a capacity of 1994cc and runs on an 8.0:1 compression ratio.

TRANSMISSION
Described by some as one of the slickest shfting manual gearboxes currently available, the european version of the sti features the same completely new 6speed transmission as the japanese model.

This short throw close ratio box has been designed to withstand high torque outputs and features extra rigity thanks to expanding the distance of the main gear shaft by 10mm and increasing the facewith of the gears. The clutch is uprated and larger, with increased loading on the clutch cover. Meanwhile, both on lubrication and cooling are improved through the use of an oil pump in the main case. Engagement of reverse gear now requires the lifting of a pull up slider ring.

STEERING SUSPENSION AWD
subarus leech like grip, supurb balance through corners and interactive handling thanks to sophisticated allwheeldrive system are further enhanced on the STi. however, in wet, muddy or icy conditions the viscous coupling senses which axle has the beter grip and distributes torque accordingly to miinse the risk of wheelspin. This is further enhanced by the limited slip differential in the rear acle, sharing available grip between ear rear wheel. The STi has gone further by installing SureTrac LSD in both front and rear axles. A slightly faster steering rack gives sharper responses and responses and reduces the number of turns lock-to-lock to 2.6. Also, for a firmer feel, the suspension bushes and front and rear suspension arms are uprated. Even more significance is the revision to all four suspension struts which are now inverted - just like the WRC car.

WHEELS TYRES AND BRAKES
the multispoke alloys are now 17x7.5" and tyres are 225/45. the Brembo brakes include 17" vented front and rear disks with 4pot calipres at the front and twin pot opposed calipres at the back. The enhanced ABS system benefits from lateral G sensor and EBD (elctronic Brake distribution). this ensures maximum braking control.

(a picture is here)
my scanner is broken,

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

but its blue and has a spoiler you could land a jumbo jet on. You know. looks like the one tiff handbrake turned with. it has 4 doors ?!?!?!?! bloody ell. and no antenna?

rapiddescent
wrx my01
Old 10 September 2001, 10:30 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

And seeing as I finally got the pic up on a related topic here’s the new baby to compliment the splendid info above

Old 10 September 2001, 10:36 PM
Steve Breen
Scooby Regular

Its funny, cos the press release I have here specifically says "Embargo: Not for publication before 15:00 hours, Tuesday, 11th of September"...so the above can't be true!!! (or if it is then no one read it until then)

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Breen (edited 10 September 2001).]
Old 10 September 2001, 10:37 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

Talking

ah hah! thats the one. I have that press piccy and another of the car facing the other way. From the rear it looks like a WRX with the following alterations:

+ STi logo,
+ P1 look-alike spoiler
+ red and clear quarter lights
+ rear high level brake light is on the lip of the boot lid and the spoiler base.
+ euro size number plate cut out
+ single exhaust with "Jubilee line" painted on the side :-)

rapiddescent
my01 wrx wagon
Old 10 September 2001, 10:40 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

Cool

whooops. It didn't say the time on the press release. oh well. I'm going to have to shoot you all.

sorry,

rapiddescent
my01 wrx.
Old 10 September 2001, 10:41 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Looks good.

Does anyone know if these will be available from Holland?

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 10 September 2001, 10:43 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

so wheres the 300bhp everyone talked about
can you at least ppp this thing??
i'm disappointed.
Old 10 September 2001, 10:56 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Great info, you're a clearly committed Scooby fan to type that lot in!

Russ

ps don't want one - they still look cr@p!
Old 10 September 2001, 11:01 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

It has the same BHP as the Aussie spec version 5 & 6 STIs had. The only difference is that they are telling us now, whereas in OZ, BHP was quoted at 280BHP, but in fine print they wrote that the BHP quoted was on 100 RON Japanese fuel, but could be less on Aussie fuel which it was. Private tests on the cars found them to have around 260BHP and also was found that the cars had been de tuned for Aussie fuel and Emmisions.

Wrexy
Old 10 September 2001, 11:32 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Question

So from what I understand, a standard STI will look like a jap one and a prodrive STI will be no faster but feature a big wing and some WRC look front bits for an extra £1500 (according to Evo) from a starting price of £29000, sounds like P1 sydrome again to me. Shame, but I bet they are about £23k in belguim, which sounds a little better.

Jon
Old 11 September 2001, 08:19 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Cool

17" front disks, wow!

Seriously though, brembos on a 'standard' production scoob and it's only taken 9 years!

It also doesn't say if it has a different (bigger) turbo from the WRX, given the max power/torque are produced at relatively low revs I presume not.

Do we know if there will be a Euro STi wagon?

Andrew...
Old 11 September 2001, 08:53 AM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

Someone asked about the Netherlands. The car in the picture is left hand drive and its been l;aunched in germany - I reckon thay want to sell this car euro-wide in rather larger volumes than the top end cars of late (P1, rb5, terzo et al.)

rd
Old 11 September 2001, 09:52 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I think it looks great - fab spoiler and nice to have 6 speed box.

Personnaly i'll wait for the Prodrive'd motor (P2???) that will be along the year after. But i'd buy one if i hadnt just thrown 25k down the toilet already.

Hopefully this car will spark some interest in the new shaped car!!

Jza
Old 11 September 2001, 10:16 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Cool

All of Europe is getting them. Also Australia, New Zealand and other countries too. Australia is getting the same spec car as Europe.

Wrexy
Old 11 September 2001, 10:50 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Question

A daft question - how do you fit 17" brakes inside 17" wheels? Or was it a typo? Looks nice though!
Old 11 September 2001, 11:03 AM
stiv62000
Scooby Regular

I can validate WREXY's comments about the Aussie spec STi's.....after all ive got one!
Old 11 September 2001, 12:43 PM
14,500rpm
Scooby Regular

Question

no pink badge....?

14,500rpm
Old 11 September 2001, 01:00 PM
Richidoo
Scooby Newbie

Question

Anyone got a picture of the non-prodrive version ?
Old 11 September 2001, 08:43 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Cool

YY,

I drove a few STIs when I was there last year, when I used to visit my friend at Croydon Autosports. They go very well, even with 260 odd BHP.

Cheers,

Wrexy