Sponsored by:

Seat Leon Cupra 4

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2001, 09:49 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

2.8 litre four wheel drive for 15 grand!!!
Is it a scoob rival?
Old 04 September 2001, 10:04 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Could be, however Seat UK have ensured that right hand drive production has ceased.

Jonathan
Old 04 September 2001, 10:06 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Angry

if its the same set up as the v6 4motion golf, you must be joking mate. i test drove a 4motion before i got my first scooby, what a bag of ****. ok for doing motorway miles, but bmw already do that kinda thing a whole lot better.
incidentally, i feckin hate VAG. why? coz they are tw@ts who make one car, give it a boot here or there, different(slightly) headlights, maybe a different brand name, and then charge thousands of pounds more depending on how snobby you want to be. eg golf or previous shape a4, fabia or polo, etc etc. same poxy engine half the time. someone please tell me what the massive difference is between a ibiza and a polo is? apart from a massive price difference?
i just think it sucks thats all.
oh, and 50k for a feckin beetle?? are they taking the p155?and i hate the smug adverts they do. and i hate the seats they use in a4's, and the crap electrics, and the lousy dealers. 24k asking price for a uk 4motion, 18k at motorpoint. sorry everyone, i think ive let off steam, didnt mean to
Old 04 September 2001, 10:11 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Spudgun

Calm down. I'm sure I'd find some bits of a Micra if I looked at your car. maybe even an Almera .

Also look at the price for a UK Skyline. Now if that is not taking the **** then no one is.

Jonathan

Leon Cupra Owner
Old 04 September 2001, 10:20 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Spudgun,

I have to agree with you about VAG

Not driven a 4motion golf but a while back I tried to, but the dealers were crap and unable to get me one to try, bought a scooby instead. Anyway I have driven a Leon Cupra and was seriously dissapointed, the car felt very slow/heavy, and just no fun. Felt like it had about 120 bhp not 180!

Both the VW and Seat Dealers were very smug about their cars, the VW guy told me they didn't need to give test drives in a 4motion, I could try a standard GTI instead and see to see if I liked the car! Useless.

Anyway as the 4wd adds 130kg to the weight of the leon cupra, I suspect the 4motion will be just as dissappointing! If you need a £15k car get a Second hand Jap turbo motor or spend a little more and get a new scooby (EU imports, should be around £16,500).

Jon
Old 04 September 2001, 10:31 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Probably slower than the 1.8T which to me looks a bit disappointing on paper, ie 180bhp
but 7.2 0-60. Too many gear changes to the magic 60 methinks (6 speed?)
Thought I'd found the next Impreza type bargain, looks like I only uncovered the missing 5th teletubby
Old 05 September 2001, 12:19 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Veracocha:
<B>The Cupra 4 is 210bhp and only FWD. It has a 1.8T engine similar to that of the S3.

[/quote]

I thought Cupra 4 was the continental market V6 ala golf 4motion, and not officially sold in the UK. And the Cupra R will be the 210bhp S3 engined Twin intercooler (though not twin turbo?) model with front wheel drive only.

Could be wrong, but I only seem to remember stuff which has no relevance to me, so I probably mostly right

Jon

PS, Chins, ask what discount you can get on a UK skyline though!
Old 05 September 2001, 07:16 AM
Slarty
Scooby Newbie

Even those of us with Audi's don't particularly like the dealers - there are a few good ones but also a lot of bad.

The VAG 150bhp and 180bhp turbo engines are finding their way into all kinds of cars but tuning wise they are limited to 240bhp and that's with a bigger turbo. With std turbo you're looking at about 195-200 max. To go higher the bottom end needs modifying ala TT225.

Old 05 September 2001, 10:36 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had a Seat Leon Turbo prior to the Scooby (just for three months). Overall a commendable car, very quick but would n't hit 60 in second so extra time to make third. Seats were a big let down, along with the crap ICE system. Versus the Scoob, handling was nowhere near as good(2wd v 4wd ), however a set of 17 or 18 inch wheels and stiffened suspension would have worked wonders.

Seat Uk have a twin turbo 210bhp version of the Leon next spring, lots of nice tupperware touches on it etc, likely to be a rozzer magnet especially in that lovely Yellow colour!!
Old 05 September 2001, 11:08 AM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

The Cupra 4 is 210bhp and only FWD. It has a 1.8T engine similar to that of the S3.

The VAG pisses me off a loads even though I love Audi's. It seems that Audi are being shafted by VW as all of their engine/4WD designs are being taken from them and distributed to other crap makes such as Scoda and Seat.

I am very happy with the S3 even though it does cost £25k. The engine has a lot of mods over the VW/Seat's like a larger turbo and twin intercoolers. Also it is a far better drive with much more sporting handling as well as being fairly comfortable.

I think Audi should stop being bossed around by VW and become their own company again.
Old 05 September 2001, 02:56 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by polarbearit:
<B> I thought Cupra 4 was the continental market V6 ala golf 4motion, and not officially sold in the UK. And the Cupra R will be the 210bhp S3 engined Twin intercooler (though not twin turbo?) model with front wheel drive only.
[/quote]

Correct!

Cupra4 available as V6 or TDI150, but neither coming to UK.

Cupra R is 210bhp a la S3, but FWD....no firm announcment around UK launch of this either.
Old 05 September 2001, 03:07 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Angry

Veracocha,
SEAT a crap make?? What are you like? I found the build quality to be very good... good enough for me to buy one for my wife and kid to use. I understand the point you are trying to make and agree with it to an large extent but dont try to drive it home with something that just isnt true!

Stu
Old 05 September 2001, 06:13 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Slarty:
<B>
The VAG 150bhp and 180bhp turbo engines are finding their way into all kinds of cars but tuning wise they are limited to 240bhp and that's with a bigger turbo. With std turbo you're looking at about 195-200 max. To go higher the bottom end needs modifying ala TT225.

[/quote]

Docjock went to a seminar from a boff who reckons this is one the most versatile engines around and can go upto 500bhp.