* Deployment of revenue, sorry, speed (sorry, safety) cameras set to be doubled
* People who drive at a constant 40/45mph regardless of speed limit
* People who don't use their indicators
* People who forget to switch their foglights off
* People who get in 'their' lane and won't move over
* High fuel costs
* Car crime esp. carjacking
* Rising insurance costs

So my question is, what country should I emigrate to to enjoy my driving and my Scooby unhindered by the above?
Old 29 August 2001, 07:53 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the Isle of Man? No speed limits, low tax, cheap fuel etc. Never been there but did a stint in the Channel Islands eg Guernsey 30MPH or 20MPH in town Not Scooby compatible.

Jerome
Old 29 August 2001, 08:09 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Wink

Check my name!!!! and drive to the Alps!!
Cheers!
Swiss Scooby
Old 29 August 2001, 08:19 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

We drive in the Alps in winter several weeks a year and I can vouch for that

Best place is Italy - Italians were only put on this earth for one thing - to circumvent rules, laws and regulations.

You can drive like a prat there safe in the knowledge that you feel totally at home.

The Milan ring road on Friday lunchtime is particularly inspiring....
Old 29 August 2001, 08:41 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Talking

South Africa. Been there for a few weeks, rented me a fast beemer... WOW! Drivers heaven!

They did catch me with a lasergun though. Black policeman told me i had to pay 2000 dollars (US) Then he laughed, but the government doesn't deserve this kind of money he said and he let me go. I gave him 25 dollars for a beer.
Hahaha, now i recall something like that happened to me in Cuba.. Copper stops me for speeding and tells me to hand 'm 100 US dollar. I tell him i've got only a tenner. He says oke, takes the money and drives away.
Old 29 August 2001, 08:46 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Switzerland or NZ..

...or South Australia down near Kangaroo Island (may not actually have been that good....just felt like it after the other roads in Oz...even in a Falcon XD...wagon...with 300'000km's & original shocks/remoulds )

Richard
Old 30 August 2001, 12:04 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I'll go with JFB and say the IOM.
Or the Welsh highlands with a detector as backup.....
astraboy.
Old 30 August 2001, 12:49 AM
spurner
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jnaylor:
<B> New Zealand? ...but windy and quite a fair few hills, etc. But the amount of traffic these days is the ****s.

Add to that the fact that the coppers seem to be doing this revenue raising....
[/quote]

Traffic in NZ?!? Have you ever been overseas? Yes there is some traffic here but nothing compared to overseas.

Revenue raising?!? Some truth in this but unless you had lived in Australia you wouldn't appreciate how lucky we are compared to the rest of the world.

We have (amongst) the cheapest sports/performance cars in the world, you can make virtually any mods to your car without problems.

FYI in Australia you can lose your licence for one speed camera ticket, get ticketted for fitting a boost gauge, exhaust or any other mod the copper doesn't like. And you can get done for only 5km/h over the limit. Most countries also have noise and emmissions restrictions.

You don't know how lucky we are here. Also we have some of the best driving scenery in the world down south, and the traffic is infact very light. Hence many tourists crash driving too fast for the weather conditions and lack of respective traffic.

NZ is also one of the safest countries in the world in many respects, there's not many countries you could park your Rex on the street. I had a friend visiting from South Africa and he had NEVER walked on a city street in the nighttime. He was terrified of getting mugged and killed just for being in town after sunset.

Some things to think about.....
Old 30 August 2001, 01:47 AM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Talking

bosnia northkorea or even christmasisland good this time of year.

ok im kidding try ibiza top totty
Old 30 August 2001, 10:40 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Germany, we have good roads, good petrol, cheap petrol, no speed limits, cheap beer, good race tracks, huge variety of sausages and everyone else drives like a complete you know what so I think Germany wins hands down.
Old 30 August 2001, 11:03 AM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Red face

First of all i guess u mean twisties otherwise buy yourselves something else for staight line. then it must be Switzerland Alps and Jura mountain roads AAA class tarmac, breathtaking scenery cold air (pity about the rarified atmo though)devcent drivers etc. But waitaminute! Wanna real challenge? Try driving on greek twisties drivers stink (a real menace worst death toll in europe) tarmac coefficient of friction dry LESS than average european WET! Potholes ridiculous signs u tend to ignore as they are there to confuse, bends that tighten mosty blinds over crest tarmac quality inconsistent can find other type left to right whilst inside the bent etc etc. So tell me u lot if this is not WRC derived car territorry donno what is . Seriously i find for these roads rwd cars that shine on track days are an accident waiting to happen...
Old 30 August 2001, 11:12 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

hmm, unrestricted german autobhans, so that'll be germany then!
Old 30 August 2001, 11:35 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Scotland!
Old 30 August 2001, 12:04 PM
jnaylor
Scooby Regular

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by dowser:
<B>Switzerland or NZ..

...or South Australia down near Kangaroo Island (may not actually have been that good....just felt like it after the other roads in Oz...even in a Falcon XD...wagon...with 300'000km's & original shocks/remoulds )

Richard[/quote]

New Zealand? I dunno about that...
Admittedly, we do have some fantastic roads, in fact the major state highway is nothing big and straight like you might expect somewhere like USA, but windy and quite a fair few hills, etc. But the amount of traffic these days is the ****s.

With a speed limit of 100km (65mph), but enough people on the roads to keep you at a constant 80km (50mph) you really can’t enjoy em. Add to that the fact that the coppers seem to be doing this revenue raising like your neck of the woods and it really isn’t worth even trying to "drive" on the roads.

That is unless you find some back roads, (of which there are hundreds!) and then you can have some fun!

But we still have the same ***** who don't indicate, don't change lanes, etc. In fact New Zealand drivers are known as some of the most arrogant in the world.... hmmmmm.
Old 30 August 2001, 12:15 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

...Manx gets my vote.....
..or Finland .....

or the UK whilst driving on a foreign license
Old 30 August 2001, 12:54 PM
charliecossie
Scooby Regular

Assuming the question was serious, a serious answer.... Germany!

No national speed limit.
Speed cameras placed at zebra crossings, village entrances, roadworks, etc. Mobile revenue collection cameras normally placed in 50 and 70 limits and the fine is 50 Marks or so. To my knowledge, only one fixed camera on the Autobahn system. Local radio broadcasts the position of mobile cameras!
We got them too, and Germans can't overtake.
Generally, Germans do use their indicators. Beware though, if he indicates he usually *will* pull out in front of you no matter what your speed.
We got them too.
Not as bad as the UK but Merc and BMW drivers are just as arrogant.
Lower fuel costs (quite a bit lower) and 99 octane fuel.
Very little car crime outside of the major cities.
Comparatively low insurance rates.

Some great roads. Brilliant motorway infrastructure. Similar pay deductions for married people (singles slightly higher). Good national health service. Stuff in the shops generally 15-20 percent cheaper. Better weather (down south). Skiing (down south). No proper bacon. No English cheese. Crap telly (get a Sky box).
Tired, off to bed.

Old 30 August 2001, 02:19 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Cool

The question was half serious actually....

Hmmm the beer in Germany might just swing it... and I work for a German company....

I'll add up the votes after a few more posts (now there's a big assumption!)...
Old 30 August 2001, 02:31 PM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

South Africa!

Subaru SA reckons that since Subarus were introduced to the country (5-years ago) only one has been stolen (on a test drive).

Everything else gets hijacked, but not scoobies - the thieves either have crappy taste, or don't know what these "corollas wif wings" are...

Insurance on scooby pretty low
Male, 27, 400 UK pounds per year.

Oh, and the roads are pretty good too.
Old 30 August 2001, 02:32 PM
spurner
Scooby Regular

[This message has been edited by spurner (edited 30 August 2001).]
Old 30 August 2001, 04:15 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Anywhere where you get diplomatic plates and subsidised fuel!

Guess what contract I'm signing soon!

BJH
Old 30 August 2001, 04:22 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

The Scottish Highlands are the best IMO. Anything from mega-fast open up and downhill sweepers through the mountains, to insanely twisty forest roads, bumpy single track stuff and even a gravel surfaced "special stage" It's the only place I've been where I felt I needed more power and better brakes - real supercar territory.
Old 30 August 2001, 04:56 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Germany? Mmmmh, the Autobahn is either crowded or boring. It's Audi territory... with an Impreza you want lots of short twisties... up and down.. round and round...
Old 30 August 2001, 07:43 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Guess what contract I'm signing soon!

BJH[/B][/QUOTE]

Intrigued BJH ........ Do tell

"Ahh go on"

JFB
Old 30 August 2001, 08:28 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Another vote for .... SCOTLAND!

Steve
Old 30 August 2001, 10:49 PM
jnaylor
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by spurner:
<B> Traffic in NZ?!? Have you ever been overseas? Yes there is some traffic here but nothing compared to overseas.

You don't know how lucky we are here. Also we have some of the best driving scenery in the world down south, and the traffic is infact very light. Hence many tourists crash driving too fast for the weather conditions and lack of respective traffic.
[/quote]

Well yeah, for sure. So you're a southern lad then? I've never actually driven down there, it's all been done around AKL and Wgtn.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>
We have (amongst) the cheapest sports/performance cars in the world, you can make virtually any mods to your car without problems.

FYI in Australia you can lose your licence for one speed camera ticket, get ticketted for fitting a boost gauge, exhaust or any other mod the copper doesn't like. And you can get done for only 5km/h over the limit. Most countries also have noise and emmissions restrictions.
[/quote]

True true, forgot about that. The things you can get away with is amazing, I must agree with you there...

Good points.

But the speed cameras are still revenue raising!

[This message has been edited by jnaylor (edited 30 August 2001).]
Old 30 August 2001, 11:10 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Has to be the South Island for me

I would love to drive a Scooby on those roads, all those lovelly ditches to hook into, all the 'speeds' for the corners (it's like having pace notes )

North Island is OK, but too much Tarmac these days

When can I go back?
Old 31 August 2001, 09:47 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Wink

... since there's a count on the no. of posts, I'll put in my bob's worth;

94 WRX, totally de-catted, etc - completely road legal; insurance premium fully comp - $285 (about 100 quid)

98 octane petrol - $1.15 per litre (about 35p)

roads - narrow, fast, hilly, twisty; you name it, they're designed with WRX's in mind.

upgrade costs - the garage is fitting the NZ Possumlink ecu next week - $1895 (about 600 quid) inc. 5 hours set up cost.

NZ is the place for Subarus ....

(and yes, I've driven in the UK, Germany, Australia, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy ...)

Old 31 August 2001, 10:10 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Cool

It has to be Catalunya, Spain.

Fantastic roads, great bars, other drivers that pull over to let you through and Police that stand on the bends and wave to let you know you can use the full width of the road for your power slide

Well... for 1 week of the year, anyway.

A couple of years ago, 5 of us were driving to a stage and had just covered about 3km of mental mountain side road. Naturally we had the windows down, as the sound was to die for. As we then came into a tiny village and found traffic cops standing in the road, blocking our path, it seemed 5 Scoobs on full throttle had attracted a lot of attention. As we approached we saw their smiles. After a quick Ola, they said "Rapido Rapido!" waving us through with great vigour. We didn't dissapoint them

Oh, and 98 RON is cheap and available everywhere.
Old 31 August 2001, 11:09 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I must say, the "short" road (as opposed to the motorway) from the Cook Strait ferry into ?Nelson was quite something, if you want twisties. (I can't find a map on the Net, can anyone remind me of the two towns?) I remember my Kiwi friend describing it as the only road where she's felt carsick while driving! Going into that little French town just above Dunedin (harbour/peninsula, begins with A?) was pretty mad, too.

Sobering the amount of flowers we saw by the roadside though, they seemed to be everywhere. Kiwi drivers can be a tad over-assertive at times!

(Tour Aukland - Wellington - Queenstown - Kaikoura - Aukland, Christmas 1996 in a Fiat X1/9; bloody brilliant!)

BJH

Even jumped off the Pipeline too!
Old 02 September 2001, 12:30 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Charlie/Wurzel,
There are some downsides to Germany although the autobahns are genarally extremely good(except the traffic jams).
I find people keep strictly to the speed limits on country roads 100KPMH and no more, blasts are limited by others. Health insurance is maga expensive if you've a family 1300DM per month !!!
Worst of all(for me) they park bloody anywhere they like(inside the shop isn't close enough) and then as you approach cars parked on the other side of the road the gits who should stop as the car is on their side they just keep coming, does my box in !!!
Get a sky box !!! Buy the cheap beer and food, eat out in the cheap cafe/bistros and more importantly the much better weather(than Glasgow) and you'll soon learn to love the place. The roads are also generally in much better condition than in the UK plus I've always found the police very good and not that arrogant way I'd come to expect at home.

Regards
Cammy

PS Switzerland levy some of the highest fines in Europe for speeding so be careful.

Quick Reply: Best country to drive my Scooby?