Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New SPECS digital speed cameras in NORTHAMPTON

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2001, 07:46 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say it is to the point of insult the way they are carrying on in Northamptonshire IMHO.

I have nothing against the Police (quote the reverse) but the speed camera / camera vans are a beyond a joke.

There are a few very well plaved truvello cameras but also some dreadfully placed ones that are clearly there to "catch speeders" rather than "save lives".

The point is.. it had become more important to watch your speedo than watch the road... and more important to do the speed limit than to do a safe speed.

I haven't been done (although I never (except through stupid concentration lapses occasionally) speed in towns and villages) but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

And not because I'm a blatant speeder, but because I will probably accidentally go over the speed limit (although only where it is *Safe*) and a van will be there.

regards

Simon
Old 31 August 2001, 10:43 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

Red face

grrrrrr !

thanks for the warning Nat21

I'm really getting wound up over what is happening in Northampton at the moment

I came across another example of a "dreadfully placed" camera van just recently. As you go down Rushmere road and pass the permanent camera on your left, everyone slows down which is fair enough, build up area etc etc.

But.... at the bottom of the hill, where the road bears right, along the stretch of road towards the big roundabout, there is nothing but old duckponds, trees and an embankment i.e. not a single house/school/building i.e. no danger, but sure enough, there he was, sitting in the van pointing his gun.

They know that the natural reaction after just passing a speed camera is to speed up slightly, and in fact the speed limit does increase at the bottom of the hill but positioning a van there, in probably one of the safest roads in Northampton, is PURELY FOR FINANCIAL REASONS and nothing else

and don't get me going on the traffic calming measures popping up everywhere

I'm normally chilled but Northants police & council are taking the p1ss

[This message has been edited by Andy Mid. (edited 31 August 2001).]
Old 31 August 2001, 11:35 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Angry

I couldn't believe it when I read the paper about it. I wondered what those things they were putting in were for. Now I know.

Did you know it's costing £350,000? I'd rather have more bobbies on the beat personally. They are always harpingon with the fact people are occasionally killed on the roads (never stating it was because they were speeding etc) but what about all the stabbing and assualts that go on? I'd rather see more bobbies solving crimes than these f&^(ing speed cameras popping up all over the place.

Have you seen the position of the (still blue) speed camera on the road down from round spinny past Southfields? Hidden by trees, you only see it once you are in zapping range. I doubt you'd see it if it were dark or raining heavily. What really get's me is that if they'd have put it on the other side of that road you'd be able to see it from quite a distance away. I guess that's why they didn't put it there.

Does anyone in Northampton fancy taking up paintballing with me? I know of some good fixed targets we can use.

Matt
Old 01 September 2001, 08:00 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I actually got caught in Northampton, the one by netto in Kingsthorpe. 37 in a 30, fair enough. I attended the speeding workshop where they explained the dangers blah blah blah. But what they did do was explain why cameras are situated where they are. They proved this by showing us the number of accidents that happen in a certain strech of road, and all the ones with over 20 in 3 years have speed cameras installed, simple. Your right to say they have 20 (actually 18) but they have budget for another 12 this year (in the whole of Northamptonshire). What the course did teach me is where to speed and where not.

I was actually late for the course and sped there!!

If you do attend accidently forget you license, that way DVLA have no idea you have attended and you will be able to attend another!!

I would love an air rifle to do the lenses!! Simon you could DO the one in Harleston, gangsta drive by Styley!!
Old 01 September 2001, 08:25 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Today's telegraph has an interesting article on the effects of all this
Old 01 September 2001, 05:45 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I've found;
Old 01 September 2001, 06:15 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
erm....

Whilst I'm sure we would all love to see the cameras (or at least most of them) out of action.. I'll put my webmaster's hat on and say there will be no "scoobynetting" of cameras please!!!

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited 01 September 2001).]
Old 01 September 2001, 06:23 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

hehhe, ok :-)

Just venting anger really.

Did you know that only the new speed cameras will be painted the bright orange colour? All existing cameras can remain the same dark blue or grey colour.

Matt

Edited to add that if the speed cameras in Northampton suddenly start getting paintballed it has nothing to do with me!..or ScoobyNet of course!

[This message has been edited by Neanderthal (edited 01 September 2001).]