Sponsored by:

MY95 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2001, 11:33 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I'm about to purchase a MY95 Turbo 2000 (UK) from my local Subaru dealer for £8995. It's a four door saloon, air con. and abs. Done 85K on the clock.

Any suggestions on what to look for ?

I've heard there were a list of major changes by Subaru for the post 96 versions such as suspension etc. - will these make a difference as I doubt I'll have them. Is the price worth what I'm paying ?

The following is what Parkers Price guide had to say :

Revisions (01/10/96) : lower bonnet line, restyled grille and bumpers, improved suspension, detailed engine improvements, better sound insulation, high-level rear brake light, immobiliser.

Is there a direct comparison I can do ? Any pictures etc of pre and post versions ?

Thanks !!! This is my one chance to get rid of my faithful Sports MY98 and I'm looking to take it although the dashboard in mine is 'slightly' better than the Turbo !
Old 23 August 2001, 08:48 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi,

I've got an MY95 5dr (75K on the clock)...

Things to look for -

worn rear anti-roll bar links.
worn propshaft
worn heat shield - moreso the fixings...

The main difference is the seats - pre 97 are crap!! I'd imagine they're the same as the Sport (I think!!). Also they BHP was upped slightly after 97..... AND the suspension changed (although I've never noticed the difference, to be honest)

Apart from the cosmetics, there isn't THAT much difference.....

Hope this helps - look in my profile for my website - you'll see piccies of my beastie....

Dan
Old 24 August 2001, 09:39 AM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with Dan on this one (sorry mate ). I own a MY95 and if at all possible I would recommend you to save a few more pennys up and go for a MY97. The reasons are:-
- Better rally-stye seats; makes a bigger difference than you'd think, since it stops you literally falling out of the sides while going round roundabouts
- Revised suspension; the biggest difference is the thicker rear anti-roll bar which helps body control round corners. I think the spring and damper rates were uprated too.
- Facelift styling; personal preference this one, but I think it looks more contemporary and also will help residuals.
- Revised engine; less turbo lag and revised intercooler allows you to put a front strut brace on.

As I say I have a MY95 and ended up upgrading to Prodrive suspension (I really big difference) and putting new seats in it. This in the end will cost you a lot more than simply paying a little more for a MY97.

Another point is that £9K sounds a little steep for an 85K mile example and I'm sure you could get a lower milage M97 for similar money.

However, if you do take the plunge with this one bear in mind the major servicing and consumables that should have been done/replaced:-
- Clutch; if not done already then insist it is replaced. In general they last between 40-60K miles and if still on original it is likely to give way soon
- Timing belt; should have been changed already.
- Suspension; dampers likely to be tired by now. Should be replaced
- Gearbox; check that 1st & 2nd synchro does not feel tired. Take it for a good thrash and do some quick upchanges. If it bulks going into gear then ask them to sort this out.

Generally if the servicing has been spot (see FAQ) on and parts have been replaced where necessary should be a good buy (even though as I said the price sounds a little high).

Good luck,

Andy

[This message has been edited by andyp (edited 24 August 2001).]
Old 25 August 2001, 11:45 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Wink

Having looked around, I've seen reasonable examples of MY97's for around the £9,500 mark, with around 60k on the clock. The MY97 facelift is well worth the effort I am told and I think £8,995 is too much for the car you're getting. Get yourself up to £9,500 or £10,000 and you're getting a much better car, IMHO. Buy privately, as the majority of Impreza owners seem to look after their cars and are often selling them to get an upgraded car or to 'buy a house'.
Old 26 August 2001, 10:20 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Andy - I don't see why you're disagreeing with me. I NEVER said that the MY95 was the one to go for. If I had've had the money at the time, I'd have bought an MY97. For the reasons you've mentioned.

We've both said the same thing

Dan

Old 26 August 2001, 10:53 AM
wrx.co.uk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Check out the Autotrader web site, MY95 are fetching as low as £7000 privately and you can get the car checked out by RAC or similar.

Save some money and look around!