Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Top Gear Car of the Year(Look away if you are bothered!)

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2000, 10:12 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Just saw top gear's award show. As usual what a load of cack that was. Best drivers car (they stated the criteria was'nt just performance but practicality). The winner was the BMW M coupe! Sure an Impreza was in the top 3(along with an elise) but how can a M Coupe be more practical than an impreza?

Besides, you can buy an impreza and still have enough left over to put down a good size deposit on a house. How many people can afford to buy a M Coupe?

Then there was the actual car of the year. They went around all the 'presenters'(well the one's that they did'nt sack) and I really thought they'd say "well we could'nt decide so we let the public do it for us. Therefore the Top Gear car of the year is the winner of the JD power survey for the past two years..."

But they did'nt. They awarded it to that Monsanto modified frog of a car, the Fiat Multipla!!!

Old 10 February 2000, 10:22 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Neil,

Yep, Top Gear living up to its new reputation as a waste of time if you actually like cars. Just as well I taped it. Meant it only lasted 15 minutes

DaveW
Old 10 February 2000, 10:54 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I have seen the xmas video where clarkson drives the z3 coupe and i gotta say it is an awesome looking car, i would love one.

the fiat tho, whoever designed that should be shot
cem
Old 10 February 2000, 10:57 PM
Rog L
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Top Gear Know nothing

At least the Scooby got a mention.

Alot better that a Z 3 Coupe.

Rog
Old 10 February 2000, 11:39 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well I think that both the female presenters need a good h**p**g - next subject - It was hardly a big shock that Quintin or whatever his name is had to plaster Mercs all over the shop ! I think that Fiat is a good idea - great inside, loads of space etc, but cant they get Subaru to Re-shell the bloody things with a Impreza body ? ? good idea or what ?
oh and put that BMW engine in it too !
anyway - I am glad they didnt give (never mind show) any Mitsubishi's an award! ha ha ha ha
Old 11 February 2000, 07:17 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

Starting to get the feeling that Top Gear is sponsored by BMW!

A couple of weeks ago the best handling car was the Z3M - I've never heard ANY other journalist state that!
In the same programme they couldn't find a bad word for the Rover-BMW 75 and 25.
ANd this week, the best driver car is the BMW M Coupe. Couldn't give the award to the Elise - to impractical. Couldm't give the award to the Scooby because it gives the driver too much assistance (eh? PAS, ABS and 4WD - that's about it!).
No, they gave the award to an 2 seater (very practical) costing the same as the Elise and Scooby put together (very accessable), and having PAS, LSD, Traction Control etc etc.

Sorry, up to now I've tending to disagree with the flack that this BBS gives Top Gear, but now enough's enough. From now on I'll watch it just for VBH

Paul L
Old 11 February 2000, 07:43 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Stop moaning you lot!!!!!!
The Scoob can't win everything. I had a flick through the TG mag to see all the winners.
The Scoob was also a runner-up in the 'Best Value' category, where it was beaten by a Daewoo Matiz!!!!!
You seem to forget that the Impreza is now a pretty old machine. To win anything this late in life is a bonus.
Most awards are based on peoples opinions, the TG crew simply have the wrong ones!
Besides, I'm sure the M Coupe is a great car to drive too, and I don't think practicality is too important in the 'Best Driver's Car' category anyway.
As Tiff's such a sucker for Beemers, the Scoob never had much chance anyway.
Only place they'll ever beat a Scoob though!!
Loggers.......

Stef.
Old 11 February 2000, 08:15 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Ask yourself this question, Who pay their bills this yesr???

OK, I would agree that the scooby shouldn't win, because of its fuel useage, but that FIAT, please...! it just a really ugly MPV.

Something to think about FIAT (Fix It Again Tony!)

Cheers
Old 11 February 2000, 09:09 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

I am quite happy the Impreza won nothing. It is attracting enough attention as it is. Do any of you need Top Gear to tell you that you are driving a great car before you can appreciate it?
It seems to me that most Motor Journalists do not need to live with these'Award Winners' day to day. They do not need to pay for them. They are not concerned about long term reliability or residuals. What Top Gear is is entertainment.