Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scoobysport MID section....a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2000, 07:02 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

My Scoobysport Mid section as just arrived at last.

The pipe I ordered from pete included no exchange (i.e. I got to keep my existing system ready for MOT time).

I unwrapped to the package to find that the exhaust is mainly made from mild steel. The only part of the system that is stainless is the section where the CAT was. I've never seem one of these before but I expected the entire length of the pipe to be bent from stainless steel with the standard flanges welded onto the ends.

I'm not complaining as such...maybe I just mis-understood what would be built up. Can anybody else (and even Pete) comment on this system...I guess they are all like this.

One last question...the section I have was ordered without a resonator box (i.e. straight thru) and will be mated to a scoobysport downpipe and back box. Can I expect the noise to get even better ?

Ian.
Old 09 February 2000, 07:12 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I understand to make a centre section out of the same material as the back box is possible, but much more expensive than the 90 quid odd that he charges (not exchange) the pipe itself is no problem at all apparently its the flanges at either end that cause the problems. I understand its a decatted Subaru centre section, so the cat isd removed and a piece of same diameter pipe inserted in the gap. Although i suspect Pete could correct me if im wrong.

I have one of these on my car, no downpipe though, and it does improve the sound and apparently with the full system you get a better benefit but couldnt tell you how much, i can tell you, you wont need the radio in the car
Old 09 February 2000, 07:20 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mr Cook, your assumptions are correct - it is a "decatted" subaru centre.

I heard an RB5 at SS which had the full SS setup and it sounded lovely outside the car....rumbly and deep....not sure about interior noise levels though as i never got to sit in it. The centre section does make a noticeable improvement IMHO, particularly mid-range torque.
Old 09 February 2000, 08:03 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Ian

The Subaru centre is stainless, but a low grade. It has to be stainless to cope with the heat of a cat. The flanges are aluminised mild steel.

As Ian C pointed out, it is very difficult to accurately replicate the flages required for the connection to the downpipe (ours, Subaru's or anyones). Every custom made centre section that we have been asked to fit, or have fitted up to, has required copious amounts of exhaust paste to prevent it from leaking gas. In time this paste will dry out... and fall out. Particularly as the engine has a twisting motion on the exhaust system.

I am sure that this part will outlast the rest of the car and will perform perfectly, but please call me if you are not happy with what we have supplied.
Old 09 February 2000, 08:57 PM
Nico van Steen
Scooby Regular

So I guess I made the right move by ordering to SS mid section and downpipe to go with the SS backbox that is already on the car.

You are talking about non scoobysport mid sections that need a lot of exhaust paste, right Pete?

Nico van Steen
Netherlands
Old 09 February 2000, 09:07 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Pete...

I am more than happy with the system you have supplied.

I think the fact that I've purchased an entire system from you in several stages means that I am a strong believer in the quality of the gear you supply...I could have gone elsewhere but didn't...most of us come back to you time and time again because the stuff you sell is of great quality. I think the fact that most impreza turbo owners choose your system as a modification says more than I ever could.

On closer inspection it does appear to be a different grade of stainless steel. To an untrained eye like mine it looked like mild steel next to the lovely shiny bit of pipe that replaces the cat. I also appreciate the difficulty in casting exact copies of the flanges in the std. centre section.

I hope that I haven't offended the scoobysport name by this post...none of this is complaint...just queries.

Cheers

Ian G.
Old 09 February 2000, 11:49 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Centre Section....its on the car...I'm a happy man.

Installation very straight forward...exactly the right length....flanges identical to the originals (because they are I guess).

Performance...didn't think it would make that much difference....but it has. The car seems to rev even more freely than with the SS Backbox and Downpipe.

I am certain the car has gained in mid to high rev ranges...some of this is probably in my mind but its definately better.

The sound...ah...its like music to my ears...after about 3.5K revs the car sounds just stunning.

Well, after 2 years of scooby ownership and a dwindling smile...I have one again

The backbox gave me a smile after a few months of running a standard car...the downpipe gave me another one after 6 months of owning a scooby...and now the set is complete...I'm in exhaust utopia !

Thanks Pete and the rest at you know where

Ian