Importing 2nd hand in Europe..

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2002, 03:11 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi Guys,

After moving to Barcelona 2 months ago I have decided to finally get rid of the P1 as I really don't get the chance to use the power and performance living in a city.

I have therefore decided to leave the manic performance fold for a more relaxed M3 convertible. I am looking at importing a used one that I have found from a dealer in Berlin and am wondering if anyone has expeience of importing a second hand car as an ex-pat.

Although I live in Spain, I do not have resident status, so I was wondering if I would be abe to buy the car in Germany, keep it on German plates and just drive it across into Spain? Would I be able to get away with keeping the car on German plates in Spain, just as I am doing with the P1 at the moment?

In other words, can I avoid paying import tax as I am not a Spanish resident?

Any help or thoughts on this would be of great help..

Many thanks,

MS.
Old 09 September 2002, 03:24 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need a German residency to get normal plates and the plates don't normally stay with a car when its sold as they are specific to drivers address. I definately needed residency papers when I bought new here. There are such a thing as transfer plates(which are Red), possibly thats the route to take but I don't know much about them. Why not look at getting it shipped direct, I got quoted 350quid from UK to Germany for my Golf Gti. Between Petrol and Admin costs there may not be a lot in it.

Regards
Cammy