Sponsored by:

Petrol companies - What an annoying bunch

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2001, 09:28 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

So I am running on vapour this morning and had to take a different route to work in order to get some SUL, my trip is only 5 miles anyway but I probably wouldn't have made it. Went to a station who may or may not use a lion as part of their identity who had run out of SUL. Oh darn it I said to myself, thats a shame cos it's only 79.9p per litre here.
Now the only other station on that particulr route is one who may or may not have a red shape simialr to a star associated with them.

How is it that they can charge 8p per litre more than other stations locally. Sometimes there prices are as high as 10p more!!!!!

If I had filled up it would have cost me another £4.50.

What is it with the world.......

I bet my STi is nicked too....... Thanks QW you're a pal
Old 26 July 2001, 10:39 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was running on fumes on my way home last night in Broxbourne where I don't normally get petrol. I couldn't find a petrol station that sold super anywhere, how crap is that? I went to three stations and ended up in Hertford, had to put in some premium since I was running too low to go elsewhere. Why dont some stations even bother selling super? ECU reset at the service next week I think.

Steve.
Old 26 July 2001, 10:52 AM
Dark Muppet
Scooby Regular

Talking

I always carry a bottle or two of millers octane booster with me. That way if I have to buy 95RON I can stick a bottle of millers in and not worry.

For those with chipped, or import cars it's a good idea IMHO.
Old 26 July 2001, 11:02 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Wink

I love the way they moan that they don't actually make any profit from petrol sales in the UK but still manage to make several billion a year. Quite a lot of money from sales of mars bars, charcoal and dirty mags....
Old 26 July 2001, 11:55 AM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

I have a list of the UK SUL sites for a certain ` green` company.

If anyone requires a copy then post an email address here and I will oblige.

Cheers

Old 26 July 2001, 01:21 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Angry

I too wanted SUL a couple of nights ago. As I was approaching a local Q8 garage, near Tring, I noted that NUL was 74.9. and thought it was cheap. I also remember that a friend mentioned that they do SUL. So in I go up to the SUL pump and no price visable. I got out lifted the nozzle and as the pump readied itself the price per litre showed as 94.9p I replaced the nozzle went into the cashier/owner and told him that he was ripping the public off, the ESSO garage some 2 miles down the road was serving SUL at 81.0p. He looked perplexed and probably couldn't give a to55! I told him he has just missed out on £40ish of fuel and left. Merchants, all of 'em!!!
Old 26 July 2001, 01:27 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JoeyDeacon:
<B>I love the way they moan that they don't actually make any profit from petrol sales in the UK but still manage to make several billion a year. Quite a lot of money from sales of mars bars, charcoal and dirty mags....[/quote]

Shell/Esso/BP/etc don't only sell Petrol and snack foods. Less than 10% of their turnover and 4% of their profit comes from B2C sales

From your 80p price per litre, the petrol company AND retailer share around 4p profit - the government make about 62p

Trending Topics

Old 26 July 2001, 01:41 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Whats B2C sales ?
Old 26 July 2001, 01:41 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by PaulMc:
<B> So in I go up to the SUL pump and no price visable. I got out lifted the nozzle and as the pump readied itself the price per litre showed as 94.9p[/quote]

ISTR going into a garage with a friend and finding no price visible on the pump, and he said it was an offence against Trading Standards. This was 10 yrs ago so might be wrong.

BJH
Old 26 July 2001, 02:14 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by camk:
<B>Whats B2C sales ?[/quote]

Business-to-consumer.
Old 26 July 2001, 02:30 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Support your local businesses so's not to lose them eh?

I went tour local village petrol station where NUL and Diesel are the same price as everywhere else pretty much, I had noticed while the wife filled the Golf up that they had a SUL pump.

Oh yes, the display showed 94.6p a litre. I got £10's worth then went and said to the old boy on the till same as above, lost sale etc I won't be back. "It's not my garage. How much is it elswhere? Do you really need to use Super?"

Oh my God. Good old fashioned English service.

And they wonder why rural businesses shut down and everyone goes to the supermarket.
Old 26 July 2001, 03:51 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

Glad my car's UK spec - ran it initially on SUL but for a while after the fuel strikes I simply couldn't find any (and go to Salcombe in South Devon - are there any garages within 20 miles which selll SUL?)

So I bit the bullet and went onto NUL - cheaper, fuel consumption no worse, manual says it's OK so no warranty probs, and doesn't seem to affect the performance significantly (not nearly so much as simply going out in the evening rather than midday).

The SUL thing is mad in this country - it' not even a proper octane, yet it's generally at least 10p a litre more (i.e. 45p per gallon more) than NUL. Bring back 5 star!
Old 26 July 2001, 09:20 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with you RichB. The Esso on my way to work sells SUL for 81.9 but seems to always run out when I need it. Other stations around seem to charge between 86.9 and 92.9 on the motorway. What a rip off. Unfortunatly very few seem to display their SUL prices so you only find out when you get the nozzle out.

If I dont need it I replace it & drive off, if I do I'll buy a £5 and find somewhere cheaper. Even if it costs me to do it. It's the principle and I don't want to encourage them.