Importing European LHD car to UK ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2001, 06:09 PM
Sam Bunyon
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

May need some advice here ...

Moving from LHD Europe to RHD UK and currently intend 'importing' my MY97 Impreza Turbo that I've been driving the last 4 years. As far as I understand this involves getting the headlights aligned for RHD, getting MPH indications on the Speedo, then a UK MOT and insurance, and then you can register the car in the UK at the local DVLA centre. Anyone have a different undertstanding of this process ?

I'm having some doubts about doing this, as opposed to just selling the LHD car before moving, and buying (probably) an identical UK RHD model. I feel I'd lose a bit financially on this and prefer a car I know is sound and will last for years, to a UK second-hand car. Maybe there is also the disturbing factor of being emotionally attached to my car !

On the other hand there is the importing hassle and maybe insurance for an LHD example is more in UK. And you drive on the wrong side ...

Any views ?

Old 17 July 2001, 09:33 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi Sam,

I imported a LHD car into the UK about two and a half years ago but it was brand new so I haven't had to put it through a MOT yet.

As far as I understand it you do need the lights sorting but the speedo does not need to be MPH. I don't think that you can adjust your existing headlights - you need to get new RHD units which I had fitted as part of the deal I did with the Dutch Subaru garage.

Insurance is no problem whatsoever. Every quote I've been given has had no extra premium for LHD - they don't seem to consider it an additional risk so don't worry about that.

As for driving a LHD in the UK - that's only something you can decide if you are comfortable with. For me, it's not an issue and now that I'm used to driving that way it has opened up a whole new group of interesting cars that you can get cheap in Germany (2nd hand). These are cars that I just couldn't afford to buy over here. E.g. does a Z3 M coupe for 18k sound good ?