ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scoobysport downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2000, 03:33 PM
Spikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm thinking of having a Scoobysport downpipe & back box fitted to my MY00 4 door turbo. The downpipe obviously replaces the first part of the cat and I assume that this then makes the cars emissions illegal. Is this the case?
If so how do you get around the MOT problem?
And does fitting the downpipe affect the warranty on the car?
Old 18 January 2000, 03:41 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Yep it does make it illegal and there seems to be two ways round this:

a) refit the original pipe when you get it MOT'd

b) bribe the testing station ( )or find one that realises that all you're going to do is swap them so why bother to fail it

I don't think it should affect your warranty as a lot of dealers recognise ScoobySport stuff as very good but I'd check on that. The key phrase seems to be defects or faults arising from modification (or something similar) so that if you fit the pipe and your gearbox blows up, that's unlikely to affect your warranty. Liek I said, I'd check with your dealer though
Old 18 January 2000, 04:09 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Spikey.

If you have a UK car and are only replacing the d/p and b/b, you will still pass emmissions as you will have a cat in your centre pipe.
Only if you then change this will you need to do any of the above.

Stef.
Old 18 January 2000, 04:15 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

But if your engine fails & you have a downpipe fitted - what then - Subaru may reject a warranty claim. Chances of getting anything in writing from a dealer/Subaru are slim.

Emissions may become illegal - but then who on this list has ever been stopped for a roadside emissions test by the coppers, & MOT time is 3 years away !

Ro
Old 18 January 2000, 04:35 PM
Paul.G
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ive fitted a Scoobysport downpipe and backbox to my 97 WRX the improvement it has made is well worth any hassell !!! Less turbo lag and sounds brill.
The center pipe is only a straight through box the cat is on the downpipe. You have to mod the heatsheild slightly to get it to go back on But overall I had no problems fitting mine.
Old 18 January 2000, 04:40 PM
Spikey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your responses....i guess that I will just go ahead and fit the downpipe...not sure about telling my insurance company though, they would either disown me or hammer the premium up...any advice??
Does anyone know what sort of torque gains I can expect from this mod? (with a decent panel filter as well)
Old 18 January 2000, 04:58 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Spikey, tell the insurance company, most don't care as it only gives a little performance gain.

Dan
Old 18 January 2000, 11:42 PM
Steve Gee
Scooby Regular

Yes, telling your insurance company is a must. I told mine I have a performance exhaust and the premium was unchanged. That's a lie actually, it went down! Thanks NFU!XX

You could wind up in a real mess if they find out after an accident, don't risk it.

Steve
Old 03 February 2000, 05:46 PM
leescoob
Scooby Newbie

Smile

does the downpipe mod still pass the mot ?
if i keep the centre section with the cat
and just have & prodrive back box
and down pipe will it be ok ?

what do you think ?

thanks lee
Old 03 February 2000, 09:15 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Lee,

The Scoobysport downpipe does away with the main catalytic converter, so emissions will be affected. It is possible to get a car with two cats through the MOT if the second one is suitably pre-heated :-)

Keeping the centre section will mean you stand a chance of passing the MOT. If you ditch it then you'll almost certainly fail, but looking on the bright side, you're no longer polluting the envirnoment with heavy metals :-)

You can use the downpipe with a Prodrive back box, but it's not ideal. The Prodrive back box is not very free flowing (hardly more than the normal one, although it is louder). If you want good flow, fit a Scoobysport back box.... if you have the Prodrive ECU you'll end up with a grin as wide as the Nile delta.

The question you need to ask yourself is whether the relatively minor inconvenience of refitting the cat every year to pass the MOT is worth the extra fun you'll have between. I'de say it most definitely is :-)

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 04 February 2000, 05:33 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

It is definetely worth it Lee, do it!

Sunil
MY99
PPP
SS Backbox, SS downpipe and Magnex centre ddecatted.