Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Power Engineering To The Rescue Again.

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2001, 10:55 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went from Bristol to Scoobysport today to have a full SS exhaust fitted. Left Bristol at 07:00 as I had a 09:00 to 10:00 appointment. Got to SS at about 08:45 for the appointment. But the place was closed and I could get no answers on the phone. At about 09:40 another scoob pulled up so I had a chat with the guy. He was also booked in early for brakes. At 09:55 I said to the chap I’m off at 10:00 as we could be there all day not knowing if they are opening or not. At 10:00 I said bye bye to the chap and started for the car, at the same time the doors opened and out came the workers. They had been around the front and could not get in. I was at the back and did not even know there was a front.
As the car was fairly cool they had it on the ramps straight away and could work on it immediately. It was not long before the lads had the job done and the car parked around the front. The system sounds a lot louder than I remember it being. Almost as loud as my last HKS Hiper. The system sounds great and all is forgiven for the late start Pete. I had a look around for other things to buy but could only find a pink badge, so bought that. I expect if Pete had been there he would have found me something to buy.
On my way home I thought I would drop into PE to make certain the car was running OK and not detting as the boost had now gone from 14psi to 16/17 psi. I missed the turn for PE so carried on my way home. As I was playing with the throttle listening to the exhaust note, I noticed the car felt a little on the slow side at the higher revs. So I turned around at Newbury and headed towards PE taking it a bit more slowly to what I’m use to. When I got to PE I asked Merv if he could give the car a power run as I had a new exhaust and wanted to make certain the car was still safe. Merv had an old cossie off the rollers and mine on in no time. Run the car up and we got 265 BHP. Merv said, “It is a very hot day mind Bob”. But I gave him the look of I think that BHP figure is ****.
Merv said he would check the car over and popped the bonnet. Straight away we could hear air hissing. Merv found my boost gauge sensor is connected to the manifold/dump valve line. And the tee had come apart. This was not a fault of Scoobysport. It was the tee was much too small for the pipe work. Merv fitted a larger tee and put clips on all my pipes. Then run the car up again 292 BHP 260 Torque much better and the car was still running rich. Merv said the car would give over 300 BHP on a cooler day. The inlet temps were very high at the end of the runs about 75 deg the car would not cool very well in between the runs down to about 48 deg. We had both fans on the front of the car to try to keep it cool. Merv just charge me for a power run.
Thanks to Merv and PE for sorting the car.
Thanks to Pete and Scoobysport for the sound and extra power.
Old 06 July 2001, 11:58 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Cool

Great stuff Bob. PE sure look like they know their stuff. Very impressive power for the P1, with the addition of the exhaust. I wish we had the P1's or STI's here, so I could have one and just add an exhaust and get similar power to you and leave it. Safe and reliable. Instead with my UK Euro spec scoob I've done all these extra mods, still have less power than you and less reliable too.
Good luck to you Bob.

WREXY.
Old 07 July 2001, 01:28 AM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Wink

Now where is that wooden spoon
Old 07 July 2001, 08:33 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Mervyn is a top bloke, the only person I have dealt with at P.E, only been once or twice to watch a rolling road day and to take part in one....

Thumbs up for Mervyn

Ron
Old 07 July 2001, 09:49 AM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Bob,

I think these Essex boys don't like getting out of bed in the morning. Last time I went to SS I had to wait around 1 hour for them to open up shop !! Not much fun.

Steve.
Old 07 July 2001, 06:24 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

hi bob
my clear indicators turned up this morning, got to fit them and the ss downpipe next week
mark