Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY01/MY02 Blue Black Mica Owners........

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2002, 08:56 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry, If it was WR Blue I probably wouldnt give a toss however I opted for the blue/black mica colour as detailed in the subject header.

Sorry Harry, Caught me at a bad moment. Apols m8

[Edited by Ru$$Rip - 8/8/2002 8:26:27 AM]
Old 07 August 2002, 08:41 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Just received my new MY02 with Morette headlamp conversion. If anyone else has had this done please can you confirm the strange observation I have made. The colour of the lamp housing actually looks 'bluer' than the colour of the car wings. I mentioned this to the dealer and they say that the spoiler is actually 'bluer' than the boot of the car. They think that it has something to do with the reaction of this particular colour to plastic!

Can anyone else who has a blue/black mica clour and the morette conversion please comment on this.

Thanks!
Old 07 August 2002, 09:06 AM
Stevie B
Scooby Regular

Yep, the morretts and the replacement wing are 'bluer'. Also had the front bumper skin replaced as some doppy person drove accross the front of me and put a nice big tennis ball size hole in it (not my fault), and you guessed it, that is 'bluer' as well.

Still did not stop me from comming 4th in SIDC day show and shine though, so I would not worry about it.

Also has a big scrape taken out of the door (again not my fault, debris in road was thrown up), the paint seems to be a better match here.

Steve
MY01 WRC Blue (bluer in palces)
Old 07 August 2002, 09:08 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

IMHO it sounds like a load of bollocks. I had a UK300 rear wing on mine painted at the dealers in DBM and it matches the rest of the car perfectly.

Si.
Old 07 August 2002, 09:27 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

I know the service manger at this garage really well and he says that it is just the wyy it is. Gotta say though that the spoiler doesnt seems as 'blue' as the morettes. Its only when you have the morettes put in that you notice. Its all about angles of light etc and the plastic morettes are easy to see against the metal body.

Old 07 August 2002, 09:31 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I agree that the colour does change in sunlight but all I can say is that my spoiler matches the rest of the car perfectly otherwise it would be going back to the dealers. I have the Prodrive headlights but have not had these painted so can not comment on these.

Si.
Old 07 August 2002, 09:46 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Thanks Si, Does anyone out there have the morettes and can they confirm if they can also relate to this?
Old 07 August 2002, 09:53 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Sounds daft, but its a common problem.

Some paints react differently to whatever primer is used.

Plastics require special primers.

Different thicknesses of laquers will give different results for mica paints as well.

Can be overcome by bodyshops who really know their stuff.

ps - have a look at most Audi's - especially A6. Paint match of plastics to metal panels, especially in lighter metallics, is cr&p.

D

Old 07 August 2002, 09:58 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

So Diablo do you think that I should go back and demand them to be resprayed?? And does anyone out there have the morettes that match perfectly - if so then this is proof that it can be done.
Old 07 August 2002, 11:29 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

My morrettes are slightly "off"..... Worse at night under street lights.....

Jza
Old 07 August 2002, 11:32 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Arrow

If its really bad, yes.

Otherwise I'd live with it.

Up to you at the end of the day

D
Old 07 August 2002, 01:38 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Hmmm.... these were done by main dealer and cost me 500 quids so I expect a proper job. Still need to know if anyone has these lights that actually match!?>
Old 07 August 2002, 05:57 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

WR Blue MY02 wagon - Morettes are 'slightly' bluer, but there again, so is the bonnet scoop..... Couldn't give a t*ss!
Old 07 August 2002, 09:41 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Russ,

Yes - I was aware which colour you were referring to, as detailed in the subject header......

Interestingly, though, Si's comment referred to DBM, and Steve was commenting about his "MY01 WRC Blue".

Cheers, HB ;0)
Old 08 August 2002, 07:36 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Can't say that I've noticed a difference to be honest. As Diablo says, a lot will be down to the ultimate skill of the paint shop. My headlamps / side lights and spoiler were all done by Cheam Motors (who have an excellent third party firm they use for all their paint jobs) and the finish is very good.

Chris
Old 08 August 2002, 08:17 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I've had two blue black mica cars, one with Morettes, and yes it can happen with *any* colour. As said above, the base colour of the Morettes is black, body panels aren't, most body shops won't use white primer on plastics the same as bodywork, metallic basecoat is semi opaque, BBM made by different manufacturers can have slightly different pigments, more coats of basecoat will end up darker, there is a whole host of reasons.

The bottom line is when you are fitting non standard parts it is a risk you take - not having a go, just stating the facts. If it is way out you could probably get the bodyshop to rectify it, if not you will just have to live with it - they will not guarantee a perfect colour match anyway.
Old 08 August 2002, 08:32 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, when you pay over the odds for a 'proper' job at a main dealer you expect it to look right. Problem here is that the spray job of the lights wasnt actually done at the dealers and had to be sent off to a body shop elsewhere. I will persue with dealer and keep you all briefed.

Cheers
Old 08 August 2002, 08:56 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

If you conducted all dealings with the dealer, and paid the dealer, your contract will be with them not the bodyshop so it is their responsibility.

Of course, what the dealer will say is "it's the bodyshop's fault"

Somewhere along the line someone will unleash the "we cannot guarantee to match the colour" statement.

Unless it is a bad match, you are probably banging your head against the wall. Not saying you shouldn't pursue it, and it is ultimately the dealer's responsibility, but just being realistic - this could be one of those marathon arguments where you will have to lose the car for a couple of days for starters if they try and get a better match

You might be better off living with the colour, and trying to get some or all of the spraying cost back.
Old 08 August 2002, 09:42 AM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just spoke to the Service Manager at Mainland and he was more than helpful. He suggested that we give it another shot. This will happen next week , will keep you all informed.