Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Service at non Subaru garage - warrany affected ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2001, 10:26 AM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All,

I am due my two year service, and wanted to get it done at AWD motorsport in Perth because they

1) Only charge £250 to SIDC members, as opposed to a minimum of £380 at a main dealer, even though they use all genuine parts and ex Subaru mechanics.
2) Seem to take care in the work that they do.
3) Offer decently priced options like K&N panel filter and super dooper iridium spark plugs.

Can anyone comment on the validity of my warranty if I get the service done there ?

Chap at AWD was certain that as long as official parts are used, warranty is no affected, but the warranty book says that servicing should be carried out at an authorised Subaru garage.

Thoughts please ?

Thanks,

Andrew.
Old 25 June 2001, 10:37 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

I heard a rumour that a service performed by a non-Subaru dealer in years 2 and 3 of a warranty, invalidates the warranty, even if they use Subaru parts and are 10x better for customer service than some Subaru dearers (I mean dealers )
I believe this is because years 2 and 3 are provided by IM, not Subaru. Basically, it sucks, but thats IM for you.
Somebody please prove me wrong.
Old 25 June 2001, 11:33 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm sure there was an EU ruling which outlawed the process of forcing the servicing to be done by an official dealer - to do with restricting trade.

I'm sure that you can get your Scoob serviced by a non-Subaru dealer as long as they use official Scoob parts....

Matt
Old 25 June 2001, 11:39 AM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ah, but there's the rub ...

Where can I get it in writing that I am not going to invalidate my warranty by doing this ?

Obviously neither IM or my local Subaru garage are going to categorically state that I can go ahead and do this without affecting the warranty, are they ?

Andrew.
Old 25 June 2001, 01:29 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AndrewW:
<B>Ah, but there's the rub ...

Where can I get it in writing that I am not going to invalidate my warranty by doing this ?

Obviously neither IM or my local Subaru garage are going to categorically state that I can go ahead and do this without affecting the warranty, are they ?

Andrew.[/quote]

Old 25 June 2001, 01:34 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

A good friend of mine is ex General manger opf a Subaru dealership. He tells me that as long as you use genuine parts, then your warranty is not affected by non dealer servicing. They will ask for a chassis number etc, when the parts are bought , and may even try and bluff you into believing the warranty is void, but they will be trying it on.
Personally I would contact Subaru UK and get it in writing.
Legally they cannot void your warranty for this.

Old 25 June 2001, 01:41 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AndrewW:
<B>Obviously neither IM or my local Subaru garage are going to categorically state that I can go ahead and do this without affecting the warranty, are they ?[/quote]

I believe that they would be breaking the law if they refused to do so....

Matt

Old 25 June 2001, 02:48 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ok the situation as I understood it is this-
Your 1st Year service can be carried out by anyone so long as it is using parts of equivalent quality to the subaru orginals - this has come about because of the EU ruling. Years 2 and 3 are not legally bound by the EU ruling and hence IM are able to say unless the work is carried out by them the warranty is no longer valid.

Similar to this is Mercedes Drivetrain warranty which lasts 30 years as long as you continue to have your merc serviced be a merc dealer - ie service profits can subsidise the warranty! Why else do you think people stand for paying £60/hour?????

Hopefully I am wrong, but I believed that was the case.

Jon

[Edited to make it make sense]

[This message has been edited by polarbearit (edited 25 June 2001).]
Old 25 June 2001, 03:05 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Smile

As far as i am aware - u are able to get it serviced ANYWHERE as long as they use Subaru Parts.

Point in case - which might not be obvious to English readers - is if u had one in the North of Scotland no where near a subaru dealer they could not force u to go 100s of miles to a subaru dealer.

I may be wrong, again, but thats how i understand it.

Old 25 June 2001, 03:54 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Andrew

The definitive answer to your question is this -

The 1k, 7.5k and 15k can be done anywhere, using genuine parts and oils, or those of a higher grade.

Services after that must be done at a dealer, or the warranty is invalid.

Having said that, I have know Subaru Uk to honour claims when someone has missed a service, but ONLY on items that don't come into the service schedule. Ie, if your engine was to blow up you would not be covered, but if you needed a new window switch you would. Don’t take that as a right tho, they could change their mind and invalidate the whole warranty.

David, (Subaru Dealer)
Old 25 June 2001, 04:01 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Shark ( gotta love that name for a car dealer ...),

Thanks for the info.

I hope you can see why I would want to get the work done elsewhere, I would rather have the £130 in my pocket, rather than anyone elses.

Looks like its off to the main dealer (via the bank manager ).

Thanks,

Andrew.
Old 25 June 2001, 04:16 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

<B>Shark ( gotta love that name for a car dealer ....[/quote]

Could be worse - Dave's the Service Manager - just imagine if he was a Salesman

Matt
Old 25 June 2001, 06:59 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add the legal side. The 1st year warranty is the minimum requirement. The 2nd & 3rd years are offered as an extra and as such Subaru UK can make what ever rules they like. Same for all makes. Insurance based top up or used car warranties are covered by the same, so they can stipulate service interval etc.

That’s why you can go anywhere upto 1 year.

David, your friendly 'Sharky' car dealer