Sponsored by:

Help: Insurance company bankrupt!

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2001, 11:08 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys

My insurance broker (A-Plan) phoned me today and told me the "Independent insurance company" has called in the receivers (i.e. the company I have my car insured with).

As such, I might not be covered until they are officially declared bankrupt, and even then it will be by the governing body who will give me a maximum of 90% of any claim.

Any suggestions as to what to do? A-Plan really suggest another policy, but this one still has 6 months to run.

Any legal people know what I can do?

Thanks!

Steve.
Old 21 June 2001, 11:36 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Search the general forum for threads - both Rum and Dave TS posted some good info on this last week.

DW
Old 21 June 2001, 11:41 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this was Dave T-S's thread
Old 22 June 2001, 12:04 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Also remember that only the PRIMARY card holder is entitled to this credit card protection.

If a purchase is made by a supplimentary card holder (ie if the card is in your name and your wife also has a card) then the normal credit card protection DOES NOT apply.

Also, some companies will charge you a few % for paying by credit card....
Old 22 June 2001, 12:53 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave,

I am insured with "Independant" and have 1 month to go on a fully paid up full comp policy.

I have already got some new quotes ( thanks to peoples advice on ScoobyNet) and want to go with one now.

In a months time I will have 3 year NCB. How do I get around this if insuring early?

My thanks go out to Dave and Rum for writing a clear explanation of the events, It really helped

Cheers

J
Edited because I couldn't spell.........

[This message has been edited by ScoobySnack (edited 22 June 2001).]
Old 22 June 2001, 07:25 AM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Talking

This happened already with Kwikfit insurance. Dont take a chance, reinsure your car now with another company. You will lose some money, but you will sleep soundly, knowing that your pride and joy is properly covered. Do you really want to get involved with an insurance company that has called the receivers in, and all that entails when trying to recover any loss?
I wouldnt hesitate.
Greg
Old 22 June 2001, 07:56 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

boxst
Based on current knowledge you should be fully covered providing your payments are up to date. There will be two issues however if you have a claim.

1) Third party losses will be settled at 100%. Own damage will probably be at 90% and this will have to come from the Policyholders Protection Board and could take some time to settle.

2) If you have a high value vehicle such as a P1 this means you could stand to lose up to £3000 or so on top of your excess in the event of a total loss or theft - although I gather only two P1's have been stolen and thanks to Trackstar both were recovered within hours. If the loss is provably due to a third party you can recover from their insurer in full (eventually).

There is a deal going on as we speak for Royal and Sun Alliance to take over a large number of IIC policies, but it is not clear if this includes motor.

Old 22 June 2001, 08:45 AM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave T-S:
<B>
[Snip]
1) Third party losses will be settled at 100%. Own damage will probably be at 90% and this will have to come from the Policyholders Protection Board and could take some time to settle.
[Snip]
[/quote]

I insureed with Drake in May 2000 - 2 weeks later went into receivership - Filled out all paperwork through Policy Holders Protection Board & am still waiting

Heres a really good tip though:
If you paid your premium in full using a credit card (eg VISA) you can claim on their insurance as you have purchased a service (one years insurance cover) and have not received it.
Old 22 June 2001, 08:52 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Footnote to earlier post:

It appears the RSA deal only involves household policies for council house tenants....
Old 22 June 2001, 09:02 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Chris, that's a top tip! Will put everything on credit card from now on, as it does seem to give many advantages like this!
Old 22 June 2001, 09:14 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

I can't say if the credit card issue will work or not - the wording needs to be looked at - I hope it does - and also hope Visa's affinity insurance scheme was not placed with Independent.....

Don't laugh, stranger things have happened.....
Old 22 June 2001, 01:28 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

ScoobySnack
That's an interesting one.....

First thought is that you could take out your new policy, leave the old one in place and claim your extra year NCB on expiry.

I would say that in order to prove you were not trying to defraud i.e. try and make a claim on both policies, you would have to write to your new insurer and tell them you have done this purely for administration purposes and also state that in the event of a claim this should fall on your new policy.

If you were to write to Independent and tell them what you were proposing to do they would almost certainly cancel your old policy straight away and you would lose the extra year's NCB.

I think, however, I'm going to let Rum answer it cos he's more the expert on current business than me...

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 22 June 2001).]
Old 22 June 2001, 02:11 PM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave T-S:
<B>I can't say if the credit card issue will work or not [Snip] [/quote]

It did for me

[Edit - Snipped Quote]

[This message has been edited by Chris.Palmer (edited 22 June 2001).]
Old 22 June 2001, 02:44 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Thanks for a quick response, I will also check with Rum. Hopefully will see him in Weybridge (Badgers Rest 2morrow).

Cheers

J
Old 22 June 2001, 03:32 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

ScoobySnack,

Sorry for the quick note...but am still snowed out at work...I will discuss the various options with you at the pub tomorrow if thats ok...and will try and put a post up here on Monday...

Once again...apologies for this being brief.

Rum