Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Small" front number plates - are they legal?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2001, 08:08 PM
STI-Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, Seeing as the front number plates in this country are stupidly big, and most car designer build their cars around this fact, are small number plates road legal?

I recently heard that the DVLA have changed the number plate regs, to a slightly smaller plate, from August onwards (I think).

So If we remove the plate (which is obstructing the air intake) and replace with a smaller one, will the fuzz give us any grief?

Cheers.
Old 21 June 2001, 08:20 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

Cool

irony at it's finest...

i just ordered a "UK Style" large plate for my RS... and you guys want a smaller one?

wonder what the cops are gonna say to me? i am gonna go on and mount it on the front of the car... any guesses at how long it'll take me to get pulled????

j.
Old 21 June 2001, 09:02 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

J

It pleases us Limey males when you think what we have is bigger and better .....

Your car looks awsome for an RS - are you going to move up to an MY02 at some stage?

D
Old 21 June 2001, 09:10 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new format will use slightly narrower text but the same height - this is to allow the use of the GB/Euro symbol at the edge (currently not legal if the reg has 7 'full' characters 'cos the spacing will not be correct). A plate can be legally reduced in size if the font and spacing are correct, so if you have 5 characters in your plate you can cut away a considerable amount. I've made loads of shortened plates and haven't heard of any problems. I run 1 on my car (front and back) and has been seen numerous occasions without bother.
Old 21 June 2001, 10:45 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

You can use a plate of any size so long as it fits the sizing and spacing of the letters.

I know a chap who had one of the first 2 Legacy turbos imported to this country (by IM, quite a few years ago now, because they were planning to import them officially), who got the number XS7 because it would fit the Japanese size plate. Easily and legally.

And look at CK1's plate - perfectly legal.