Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you think a uk spec turbo compares toa Vectra V6?

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2001, 12:00 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chiark,

thats the thing that swayed me back to vauxhall. only downside is its done 70K and has 'a number' of stone chips on the bonnet

i never saw a wrx for 7K!!!!... if i had i might have been a sccobie owner by now....
Old 12 June 2001, 12:05 AM
GP
Scooby Regular

'carefully phrased' springs to mind.. - do you remember a certain JasonM and his impreza slaying Cav... I do believe he was blown into orbit from here powered by the use sarcasm alone..

I mostly lurk here to annoy the occasional dissenter of astras with scooby vents and to redress the balance sometimes ...... mostly
Old 12 June 2001, 12:10 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

well as you know i fairly quiet on the boards. but i agree its useful to have a minority 'opposition' to adjust the debate scales occasionly

corsasports got more RS owners on it than corsa owners now hehehehehe.
Old 12 June 2001, 12:12 AM
Sheepdawg
Scooby Newbie

Talking

'carefully phrased' and Andy Suter in the same sentence? Come on GP, get with it
Old 12 June 2001, 12:17 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

"how come you come here then?"
Well you might ask, Andy, GP has been coming on here purely to hit on the young ladeez that once frequented the board.
In fact, 91 of his 94 posts are chat ups, and you would have noticed how now there are no girls left on Scoobynet any more, all thanks to your mate GP.
Bloody Vauxhall drivers, if anythings going to scare the girls off, its a Vauxhall, and now there are two of you, asking questions like "does my new Pioneer sunscreen make my car outhandle a Scoob", and "do you think my new 82 inch wheels suit my Corsa, and make it faster than a Scoob?" and "Rolling road shows I have 14000BHP, can I beat a Scoob?"

Just wait until the Subaru guys hear that there are loads of girls on
Old 12 June 2001, 12:20 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Did the massive rush of the lads looking for girlies just kill Corsasport?
Old 12 June 2001, 12:23 AM
g man
Scooby Regular

Cool

Vectra v6 ?? should asked about GOLF VR6 had 3 + corrado vr6 those are real tools .....
Old 12 June 2001, 12:23 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

well youre welcome to the girls on corsasport, ive seen them

and ive come here to get away from the max power brigade as i keep getting lynched on corsasport by 300 17 yr old corsa drivers for taking the mickey. hehehe....

this is bloody sanctuary compared to that..

just watch that GP though....hes got a sharp tounge on him...
Old 12 June 2001, 12:28 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

those VR6's are weapons aren't they but i think VW lost the plot when they stopped making the Mk1 GTI, just survived with the Mk2 16v but the Mk3 was pitiful, only the VR6 kept them in the market. and as for the mk4....worse than my veccy.
Old 12 June 2001, 12:36 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by andy suter:
<B>

just watch that GP though....hes got a sharp tounge on him... [/quote]

Yep, sharp as a tennis ball
Old 12 June 2001, 12:40 AM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Question

Andy
You said the gearing in the vectra was long, 120 in third on the rev limiter. That is close to 4th gear in the scoob so I wonder (genuinely) what third can be like lower down. The scoob starts to pull like a train all the way from 30 / 35 up to the rev limiter. If yours goes up to that sort of speed I can't imagine there is anything there till 50mph.
Paul
Old 12 June 2001, 12:40 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

well on the vauxhall sites hes known as 'razor'.....hehehehehe...
Old 12 June 2001, 12:46 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

thats right. 3rd is utter rubbish until your above 70 mph, its a common complaint. If i really need to shift i drop it into 2nd at 50, it hits the limiter at 70mph in 2nd.

the V6 is bog slow when cruising around at 1.5-3K revs, its only wakes up at 4500rpm.

but thats why i get 35mpg+ on 80mph motorway journeys cos i'm only doing 3K at 80 in fifth.

[This message has been edited by andy suter (edited 12 June 2001).]
Old 12 June 2001, 09:48 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't flame me, its a serious question. I'm just curious as to how you guys would comapre your UK spec turbos to a vectra sri V6? including handling, acceraltion both off the line and in gear, top end perfromance, build quality etc etc....

whats youre thoughts. Obviously I have my ideas but would like to know how the Subaru owners view it?
Old 12 June 2001, 09:59 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

A scoob would waste a standard vectra V6, but if it was tricked up with decent Koni suspension and stuff then it might be close enough
Old 12 June 2001, 10:04 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Only ever driven a V6 SRI briefly, but even by front wheel drive, 160hp rep-mobile standards it is poor

Handling - far better than the standard Vectra slush, but still a league behind the Mondeo, and a different world to the Impreza

Off the line - are you serious? FWD 160hp Vs 215 AWD? The SRi feels like it is going backwards, and that is after the wheels have stopped spinning

In-Gear - not quite so far behind, but still but still a world away from the turbo-charged mid-range grunt of the Impreza

Top end - Haven't tested it personally, but must be at least 10mph shy of the Impreza

Build Quality - the only area it will compare, but even then, only just

Even the 190hp GSI can't hold a candle to a Std Impreza in 99% of situations. Vectras SRi/GSi (and Mondeo equivalents) are 'rep-done-well' cars not serious perfromance saloons

The only FWD sports saloon worth considering is the Alfa 156 V6 and possibly the Accord Type-R.
Old 12 June 2001, 10:12 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

sorry forgot to say ive recently bought a v6 veccy after contemplating a scoobie sport.

i agree with the off the line and handling, in gear though must be fairly even, ive got a heap of torque and 24 valves which once over 4500 rpm really let you they are working.

top end is booked at 147mph so i reckon i pip the turbo there, especially with my long gearing, enabling me to reach 120mph in 3rd at the rev limiter (6750rpm)

build quality, sorry but i go with the veccy. My freinds sport looks a lot more plasticy inside than my sri.

The turbo does look hard as nuts though compared to my rep mobile
Old 12 June 2001, 10:22 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Andy, you are a brave man The vultures are circling.

Mike
Old 12 June 2001, 10:33 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

i know i'm in the lions pit here but i haven't dropped in to cause trouble

i'm a regular on the vauxhall boards but they seem to be filling up with max power wallys.

I really did contemplate a sport, around a 98 model, but i thought the £/bhp of the V6 was a better buy? the insurance of a turbo put me off one of those, i'm a 29yrd old proffessional but i still think it would have cost more than the £670 f/c i pay for the vectra.

would a sport have been a better choice?
Old 12 June 2001, 10:38 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

EVO seem to quite like the GSI... Seems to be a fairly serious competitor???
Old 12 June 2001, 10:45 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

well mine has the same suspension as all other veccys including the gsi (which has standard suspension belive it or not)

i'm 20bhp down at 170bhp cos the gsi has 3.0 cams fitted.

bet i'd beat the scoobie on motorway cruising
Old 12 June 2001, 10:53 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Andy, Have you been here before. For some reason your name rings a bell. To be totally honest I thought you where a max power - my 996cc nove makes eleventy squillion BHP at the wheels - poster, so can I take this chance to apologies for the earlier sarcasm.

Looks, off the line and handling are every day occurences. Top speed? When was the last time you tried this? In gear above 60ish would probably be quite close, and your car probably doesn't come with such an extensive range of squeaks and rattles. If you do a lot of motorway miles, you probably made the right choice. On the other hand, if you like having fun, and get involved in the odd TLGP then the scoob is the one.
Old 12 June 2001, 10:55 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Andy, what made you go for one? and what other alternatives, apart from the Sport, did you consider?

Im just curious, as it seems an odd choice for someone who was considering a Scoob, quite far away from the Scooby concept.

The engine is the 2.6 24 valve right (possibly "quantity over quality" engineering?)? if so, its a 8 secs to 60 and 143MPh top end car, and I doubt very much you would stay with a Turbo anywhere, best chance would be in gear down a long straight, but they both are aimed at different markets, so I dont think anyone would expect a Vectra to compete with a Impreza anyway, different sides of the street.

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 12 June 2001).]
Old 12 June 2001, 11:01 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

My first car when I opted out of the Company car scheme was a Vectra GSI. I had previously owned a Cav V6.

Kept the GSI three months. The press write up flatter it. The gearing is way to long. There was no mid range pull at all. My wifes car at the time was a Terzo, so I had lots of time to compare. What really got to me as well was the centre armrest. You feel like a poof with the angle of your wrist to change gears.

My most disapointing buy ever I'm afraid. We also have an SRI on our fleet. Its not winning friends either.

Sorry to all GM fans out there.

Jonathan
Old 12 June 2001, 11:01 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Andy
I had a 2.0 SRI and access to a 2.6 SRI
There is no comparison between a Scoob and a Vectra.
Vectra handling is not good, even in GSI form which is a lot better.

Vectra build quality is not good the Scoob is built a lot better, the interior on my Vectra squeeked rattled from 6K to 50K when i was glad to see the back of it.

Performance - top speeds similar although the Scoob get there so much quicker

Don't get me wrong the Vectra is a good car and apart from the niggles i liked it. The Impreza is in a different league for performance, handling and driving experience.
Old 12 June 2001, 11:07 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

i came on here a year or so ago i think, not for long though. i had a 2ltr corsa then.

I'm a vauxhall man so when the time came to dump the max power boy racer magnet i first looked at vauxhalls. Then i saw the price of sports and it made me think about one. The turbos were still around £11K which was more than the £7K i wanted to spend. I looked at BMW 3 series as well but they cost a bit much much for an older car..£7K buys a 93/94 320 which is naff.

the V6 i bought was a 97 model with the 2.5 24v motor and i paid £6500 for it which was the average price. My mate has just bought one of the last phase 1 sports (y-reg) for £13K brand new and it made me think i had made the wrong choice....

I disagree that the vauxhall and scooby attract differnt sides of the street, cos i looked at both!

how does the sport compare to my vectra then?
my mate is still running his in so hes not had the chance to 'compare it' yet.
Old 12 June 2001, 11:14 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

to be fair to the scooby, ive never driven a turbo or even been for a blast in one, i just see them overtaking me on the motorways and wonder how much of a chance i would have against one if i went for it.

My brothers got a cav v6 and hes had that off the clock (an indicated 160mph) but we all know its more likely to be late 140's. Ive not tried mine flat out as i **** myself above 130mph and back off...

someone told me that the turbo gets to 120mph quickly but struggles after that? is this true?
Old 12 June 2001, 11:19 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Thought I recognised the name, corsasport wasnt it?

Just be happy with your choice then, because you will be here, and people probably wont be too kind about your car, because for its engine size and "definition" (ie, marketed as a sports car), it doesnt exactly blow the competition away.

What I meant by different sides of the street, was that it is a tourer, probably not too happy getting slung around a twisty road, nor too chuffed about trying to pull itself away from a traffic light quickly, all things that a Scoob excells at.

Well, as long as you're enjoying your car, I wouldnt fret too much about comparing it to anything else.
There will always be something faster, better, louder, so you make your choice, and hopefully live happily with it, otherwise, flog it, buy a Scoob, and find out why they have generated such a fantastic following for yourself.
Old 12 June 2001, 11:24 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

My scoob is nippy up to 130, then tails off, after 140 it creeps very slowly.

In answer to the previous question, straight line, a V6 Vectra should be in the ball park of a decent hot hatch, 106 GTi, etc. which is a bit quicker than a sport, but a fair bit slower than a turbo.
Old 12 June 2001, 11:48 AM
GP
Scooby Regular

oi oi it's the Corsa invader ..

I also come over here when I feel the need to act my age

ps a clue...I have a 'max power' astra wiv a cage anna scooby vent anna squillion bhp

Quick Reply: How do you think a uk spec turbo compares toa Vectra V6?