Sponsored by:

Just Driven UK300 PPP

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2001, 01:28 PM
Bob.C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just had a long test drive of the UK300 ppp, and all I can say is wow !. It gives the WRX back everthing we have come to expect from our scoobies. Mid range torque has returned to what it should be, the pull in the 30-70mph range is excellent (although not in the P1 league). There is now a mighty impressive prodrive exhaust which gives back the aural burble that we all expect and love !.
I would be interested to know from ProdriveMike Wood more about the mid section exhaust change as I had a look under both a PPP and non PPP UK300 and can see no visible differences with the cats, etc, is there a mid section change ?.
You guys waiting for the PPP for your WRXs can be assured it is worth the wait and cost.
Old 12 June 2001, 02:21 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Bob

Great write up, and would agree with it all. Only thing is the extra refinement loses some of the feeling of speed felt in the P1.

After my back to back with the P1, I didnt feel it was losing a lot performance wise on the road.

Jonathan
UK300 PPP
Old 14 June 2001, 12:10 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>can't see myself shelling out 25k for an ugly car... Pity really[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeh - sorry - forgot - the "classic" car was a real beauty wasnt it!!! NOT!!!

If you judge a car by its looks then why not buy a pretty car? I prefer Bull Dogs to Poodles myself.

Jeezus. One set of headlights and the cars "crap". Cant moan about the performance anymore so lets get back on that old track.

MY01 people - have you had enough of these comments yet?

Still waiting for a date for the PPP - dealer cant confirm yet. You lucky buggers!!!!

Jza
Old 14 June 2001, 10:59 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Spent an hour in a ppp'd UK 300 on Tuesday. Handling is in a different league from the classic model (I haven't tried a standard MY01). Brakes are fantastic. Engine is about as good. Interior is massive improvement. Rear spoiler grows on you after a while. Pity the front is still dog ugly. It is an excellent car from inside, but I can't see myself shelling out 25k for an ugly car... Pity really
Old 14 June 2001, 01:08 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jza:
Oh yeh - sorry - forgot - the "classic" car was a real beauty wasnt it!!! NOT!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed the classic shape is not a looker but was seriously aggressive looking. I doubt you could call the MY01 agressive looking.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jza:
Cant moan about the performance anymore so lets get back on that old track

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The performance (power to weight) they have got from the MY01 PPP is now equivalent to a standard MY00. Put the PPP on the MY00 and the performance goal posts move further on . You are having to pay extra for the same power to weight .
Old 14 June 2001, 02:06 PM
JohnS

Talking

I had the pleasure of a long test drive in the UK300 with PPP fitted yesterday, I can confirm that the car is substantially improved over the standard model.

Driving at town speeds, the car feel no different than standard, although the nice burble from the Prodrive exhaust makes a pleasant change, and adds some welcome character to the car.

The ride quality on the 18 inch wheels is quite amazing. I was expecting it to be slightly worse than my own MY98 car on 17 inch wheels, but in fact it was noticeably better. Driving over cats eyes in the middle of the road, you could feel them through the steering wheel, but not really through the seat, and neither did they make much noise.

Grip from the 225 tyres, even on damp roads was nothing short of astonishing. The car could be hurried through a series of fast sweeping bends, and felt completely sure-footed. It was almost a surreal experience, as there was no real sensation of speed or danger, probably due to the vastly improved refinement levels over the older car.

There is still a bit of body roll when the car is pushed hard, but it doesn't feel dramatic from inside the car, and the grip levels are excellent. I expect with slightly lower and firmer suspension, the handling and sure-footedness of this car would be nothing short of amazing, compared to the previous generation of Imprezas.

The throttle took a little bit of getting used to. On my own car, about 1 – 2 inches of accelerator travel is all that is required to get what feels like the full oomph factor, and the throttle is very sensitive to small changes. With the MY00 cars, you need to have the pedal at least 50% of the way to the floor, before it starts to get interesting, and it gets progressively better the closer to the floor it is. What this means in real life, is that the car is a lot smoother to drive around town than the old car, but on first impressions feels slower, with the performance somehow blunted.

However, open the throttle fully in 2nd gear and above, and the PPP changes become really obvious. The car picks up very quickly indeed, and the engine revs eagerly to the red line, instead of struggling to rev above 6,000. Compared to my own MY98 car, the UK300 with PPP is the first time I've driven one of the new cars, and it actually feels faster – and significantly so above 60mph!

In terms of refinement, the new car is streets ahead of the old one, even with the PPP fitted. Although you can now hear the exhaust, especially when pushing on, at no times does it become intrusive, and even at high revs and high speed, there was no need to turn the stereo up from the volume level it was set at for town use.

Plus points:

PPP - a must if you are buying a MY01 car. Makes a big difference, both in terms of performance, and aural enjoyment :-)

Wheels - look great, and suit the car and the colour.

Lights - some people might not like them, but I prefer the agressive look of them, compared to the soft/shy look of the standard ones.

Front lip spoiler - it isn't big, but when you see it next to an identical standard car, it adds to the overall more aggressive look, and gives the car some character.

Clear indicators - again a subtle improvement.

Interior - alcantara seats were very nice.

Minus points:

Rear spolier - some may like it, but not me I'm afraid. Having said that, I'm not keen on the standard one fitted to the new MY01 car either.

Interior plaque - looks a bit cheap and tacky compared to the rest of the car.

Would I buy one ?

If I had the money available, and liked the rear spoiler I would be seriously tempted, but I’m going to stick with my own one for a while longer. I will admit, that this is the first of the new style cars that I have driven, that has tempted me to even think about changing….

I’d like to thank Town and County in Aberdeen for giving the opportunity to drive their demonstrator, which I believe is on it’s way down to their Perth showroom. Pop in past if you want to experience the car for yourself!
Old 14 June 2001, 02:32 PM
JohnS

Thumbs up

I had the pleasure of a long test drive in the UK300 with PPP fitted yesterday, I can confirm that the car is substantially improved over the standard model.

Driving at town speeds, the car feel no different than standard, although the nice burble from the Prodrive exhaust makes a pleasant change, and adds some welcome character to the car.

The ride quality on the 18 inch wheels is quite amazing. I was expecting it to be slightly worse than my own MY98 car on 17 inch wheels, but in fact it was noticeably better. Driving over cats eyes in the middle of the road, you could feel them through the steering wheel, but not really through the seat, and neither did they make much noise.

Grip from the 225 tyres, even on damp roads was nothing short of astonishing. The car could be hurried through a series of fast sweeping bends, and felt completely sure-footed. It was almost a surreal experience, as there was no real sensation of speed or danger, probably due to the vastly improved refinement levels over the older car.

There is still a bit of body roll when the car is pushed hard, but it doesn't feel dramatic from inside the car, and the grip levels are excellent. I expect with slightly lower and firmer suspension, the handling and sure-footedness of this car would be nothing short of amazing, compared to the previous generation of Imprezas.

The throttle took a little bit of getting used to. On my own car, about 1 – 2 inches of accelerator travel is all that is required to get what feels like the full oomph factor, and the throttle is very sensitive to small changes. With the MY00 cars, you need to have the pedal at least 50% of the way to the floor, before it starts to get interesting, and it gets progressively better the closer to the floor it is. What this means in real life, is that the car is a lot smoother to drive around town than the old car, but on first impressions feels slower, with the performance somehow blunted.

However, open the throttle fully in 2nd gear and above, and the PPP changes become really obvious. The car picks up very quickly indeed, and the engine revs eagerly to the red line, instead of struggling to rev above 6,000. Compared to my own MY98 car, the UK300 with PPP is the first time I've driven one of the new cars, and it actually feels faster – and significantly so above 60mph!

In terms of refinement, the new car is streets ahead of the old one, even with the PPP fitted. Although you can now hear the exhaust, especially when pushing on, at no times does it become intrusive, and even at high revs and high speed, there was no need to turn the stereo up from the volume level it was set at for town use.

Plus points:

PPP - a must if you are buying a MY01 car. Makes a big difference, both in terms of performance, and aural enjoyment :-)

Wheels - look great, and suit the car and the colour.

Lights - some people might not like them, but I prefer the agressive look of them, compared to the soft/shy look of the standard ones.

Front lip spoiler - it isn't big, but when you see it next to an identical standard car, it adds to the overall more aggressive look, and gives the car some character.

Clear indicators - again a subtle improvement.

Interior - alcantara seats were very nice.

Minus points:

Rear spolier - some may like it, but not me I'm afraid. Having said that, I'm not keen on the standard one fitted to the new MY01 car either.

Interior plaque - looks a bit cheap and tacky compared to the rest of the car.

Would I buy one ?

If I had the money available, and liked the rear spoiler I would be seriously tempted, but I’m going to stick with my own one for a while longer. I will admit, that this is the first of the new style cars that I have driven, that has tempted me to even think about changing….

I’d like to thank Town and County in Aberdeen for giving the opportunity to drive their demonstrator, which I believe is on it’s way down to their Perth showroom.
Old 14 June 2001, 03:21 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

John

Great write up. Nothing I would disagree with at all. I'm still struggling to like the new rear spoiler, but everyone else seems to like it.

Jonathan
Old 14 June 2001, 06:50 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

jza,
"MY01 people - have you had enough of these comments yet?"

yep!

scoobysport and prodrive seem to be a major source of influence on people hear both in terms of who they listen to and what they buy- strange that both pete and mike and are very pro the my01 yet some still dont listen!

tiggs

Old 14 June 2001, 08:20 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Just wait until our are finished being "Croneyfied".........
Old 14 June 2001, 11:08 PM
ski
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least the car is getting better bit by bit,soon I am sure everyone will love it.
Old 14 June 2001, 11:53 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

johns i have just read your post in I-club.
Old 15 June 2001, 12:15 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Yawn... Zzzzzz....

My moped gives me more excitement.

Let's face it.... The UK300..Yawn.. come on Subaru, Jesus H'@#~st..........new shape MY01 is still less attractive than a pile of steaming dog5hite.

The MY00 is still far better looking and much more desirable. Even though it is SLOW and BORING and drinks JUICE and INSURANCE companies do not like them. 1 year down the line and 1 new turbo charger and numerous problems which dealers do not give a to55 about I am selling my so called bomb proof car.... Try living on Bransholme estate in Hull

Scotty.

PS: What can I get next....

PPS: I don't need a flame suit I am pi55ed off and can take all the heat that comes my way

[This message has been edited by SCOTTY (edited 15 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by SCOTTY (edited 15 June 2001).]