Sponsored by:

STi Euro Spec Query

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2002, 11:06 AM
Nick B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Sorry to post in this forum, but I need a quick answer.

I am looking to purchase an STi from Motorpoint, and have discovered that the car is sourced from Malta not Europe. They are completing a specification review on the car for me and have provided the CoC.

The only difference they can identify is that the car only has a single stage Catalytic Converter whereas the Type UK specifies a 2-stage Catalytic convertor. Can anyone let me know if Euro sourced cars normally come with a 2 stage, and what source market would be indicated by a single stage?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 16 July 2002, 11:13 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

There are only two main types of STi's now made - the JDM models and the "Euro" spec model (which NZ, Oz and Asia Pac also get).

If you have the CoC then you should have the VIN? Let me know what it is and I'll tell you if it's the same as a Type UK or not.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 16 July 2002, 11:16 AM
Nick B
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Matt,
Thanks - you have mail.

Nick
Old 16 July 2002, 11:23 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nick,

YHM back.

For the benefit of others, the car Nick is getting from Motorpoint is the same as a Type UK (other than the Alarm, Tracker and lack of "Type UK" badge under the STi badge).

Even though it is from Malta, IM will supply parts for it and Greenlight (and presumably others that don't insure "Jap" imports) will insure it as an EU import. I suspect that IM will also honour the warrnty like it is an EU car also (but will want to get payment agreement from the Malta distributor (just like any other EU warranty) first), but this has yet to be confirmed.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Old 16 July 2002, 11:26 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nick,

Just to be sure, rahter than taking my word for it, ask IM to check the VIN and they should be able to confirm whether or not what I have just said it correct - it was for me

Matt
Old 16 July 2002, 11:31 AM
Nick B
Scooby Regular

Smile

Matt,
Thanks - all confirmed.

Nick
Old 16 July 2002, 11:47 AM
dan4
Scooby Regular

Question

Nick B,
How much are they selling the new STi for, if you don't mind me asking? Is the price including metallic paint etc?
Cheers,
Dan
Old 16 July 2002, 12:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Matt,
AFAIK IM will not warranty (or cover any warranty) for a car purchased outside the EU.
If the car is sourced from cyprus or malta your warranty is void and not covered by any EU law.
I personally wouldnt buy one from cyprus or malta unless you take out a good 3rd party warranty which means it probably wont cover you for 90% of the things a euro warranty will.
Be safe and try for a euro import or go to Litfield imports or the likes.

Tony
Old 16 July 2002, 12:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Nick,
the euro cars have 3 cats, if this one your getting only has 1 cat then id be suspicious!

Tony
Old 16 July 2002, 01:22 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Tony
ALL STi7's only have two cats. The UK/Euro downpipe one is bigger than the JDM.

The only Impreza with three cats as standard is the MY01> WRX.
Old 16 July 2002, 01:26 PM
Nick B
Scooby Regular

Tony,
Thanks for the pointers. I frankly don't think they know what they are looking for, but I will be insepcting the car thoroughly before taking delivery - hence the question as it didn't sound right that there would only be one cat.

With the warranty problems they are offering a 3rd party warranty foc given that they originally stated the car was from Holland (the dutch dealer sourced from Malta) so whilst not watertight as a Scooby warranty, at least I have some recourse.

Dan,
They are listing at £20,999 but with CAT1, Tracker, OTR costs you are looking at £21,750.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 16 July 2002, 01:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ahhh cheers Dave
i was under the impression that they still had 3 but if one is bigger then no doubt its better
1 no doubt would mean its a JDM car as cyprus does have alot of JDM cars as std spec and no real emissions tests (they never use to have an MOT test either but dunno if thats changed?)

Tony
Old 16 July 2002, 01:33 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tony,
AFAIK IM will not warranty (or cover any warranty) for a car purchased outside the EU. If the car is sourced from cyprus or malta your warranty is void and not covered by any EU law.
Well that's what I thought but it looks like they may also cover cars which come from Commonwealth countries. IM says that by law they have to supply parts from Commonwealth countries (was a surprise to me but that's what they said) so I presume this forces the warranty issue also.

I'll look into it further and let you know what I find out....

Matt
Old 17 July 2002, 12:56 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

We still get the JDM STi in HK, & I don't think the importer will import export spec STi for marketing reasons.
Old 17 July 2002, 02:15 PM
Tang
Scooby Regular

Nick B,

You should be very careful about purchasing a car sourced from Malta. I and a mate of mine (both classic shape owners and lawyers) are currently advising another mate who did buy one from a third party importer (who shall remain nameless for the time being) and he is having trouble getting clarity on whether Subaru UK or any individual dealer will honour the warranty. There are a multitude of legal issues here which to cut a long story short should make you at least think twice.

In short whenever you are offered such a car ask to see documentary proof that the warranty is identical in coverage and effect to that which the owner of a UK sourced car would expect, and ask for documentary proof that the warranty will be honoured in such a way that there is no chance you will suffer any disadvantage in comparison to the owner of a UK sourced car should something go wrong with the car.

Good luck.

In the meantime is there anyone else out there in the same predicament? It would be good to compare notes. It seems to me that the import companies may not be completely forthcoming about this issue and if we combine forces we may be able to persuade them otherwise.

Cheers

Tang