Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Bloke with torch looking at Scoob

Old 08 June 2001, 12:15 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Spender - Why not take the car reg.no and use your mobile to phone the police whilst they can hear you???

Pity you didn't videotape them...

Sorry to hear your predicament, Tom.
Old 08 June 2001, 12:37 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Tom,

Might be an idea to report it to the police. If you are unfortunate enough to have the car damaged or stolen whilst on your drive could help in an insurance claim.

Yex
Old 08 June 2001, 02:46 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Red face

Went outside the front about ten minutes ago for a *** and there was a bloke with a torch outside our house. He was wearing a black jogging suit with a black/dark blue beeny hat.

So, opened front door and stepped out onto the porch. Walked in front of our car and set the floodlight off. It was then that I noticed someone at the edge of our drive. He looked a little bit startled, and looked towards me and shone the torch in my eyes (so I couldn't get a description, I presume).

At this point I wasn't scared or shocked, but I just stood there, like you do, thinking that this is very uncanny as I have opened my bedroom window before to have a *** and discovered a bloke on our drive with a torch. I have also been disturbed, in bed, when listening to music when we were broken into.

So that is now three times something has happened when I have been aware of what was going on.

Anyway, bloke started briskly walking down the road to his car. After he was what I considered to be a safe distance I went to see if I could identify what car he was driving. Unfortunately I could not tell as He was not parked under a light and drove off with his lights off, so could not get Reg. details.

I'm bit pi***d off with myself, as I wonder if I could have done anything, i.e. beat the s**t out of him. Thought that if I had not been drinkning then I may have handled it differently. Oh well, I and the Scoob are alright.

Lucky I didn't see him about 25 mins earlier as my old-dears were still up watching the election.

If they knew about this then I think my mum (and possbily my dad) would definitely want to get rid of the Scoob, so I don't think I will tell them. It will only worry my mum and he probably wasn't going to do anything anyway...house alarmed, all other security measures taken, etc.

Thinking about it though I'm getting more and more pi**ed off about this. Like I said it has happened once before and we've been burgled. Next time I'm going to shoot the b*****d, or wrap my weights bar around their head. This sort of thing is getting ridiculous and I don't see the old bill doing a lot about it.

Probably too busy catching people doing 42 in a 40 mph area

Cheers (I need another ciggy),
Tom
Old 08 June 2001, 08:45 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Angry

Tom,

Sorry to hear about that m8. F*cking scum.
How about increasing the range of the floodlight or failing that, get a Rhino post which sinks into the drive. I have their phone number if you want.

Cheers,

Mossman
Old 08 June 2001, 09:35 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Red face

You should have f***ed him up real bad, put him back in his car and put a block on the accelarator, found out where he lived and messed up his mother.

I feel better after that. Part joking.

MB

Old 08 June 2001, 09:37 AM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Cool

Did anybody invent a punk zapper yet ? Something that puts 10.000 volts through anybody who doesn't disamr it ? That should do the trick !

[This message has been edited by Mad Max (edited 08 June 2001).]
Old 08 June 2001, 10:48 AM
spender
Scooby Regular

Similar thing happened to me the other week. Got woken up by noise outside, looked out window and there were 3 youths peering in the Scoob with a torch - one of them set off next doors security light and they walked off before I could get dressed and confront them.
The next night they were back and I was waiting - as soon as they stopped by the car I was out the side gate, they walked off and I followed them, two went one way at the end of my road and one went the other - I followed the two until they stopped at a bus stop so I stopped and just stared at them for about a minute and then walked off - they haven't been back since.
Old 08 June 2001, 10:59 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Jezus Tom, I bet with your large intake of breath it was the quickest draw of a *** ever

I had a very similar experience a couple of weeks after I bought my Scoob. It was 3am and I'd just been to the bathroom. I'd just got back into bed when the floodlight in the back garden went off.

Some of the neighbours have cats and they usually set them off cross the wall behind the patio. Given my precious new car was sitting outside, I was more interested in just admiring it. But low and behold some @rsehole was bent over peering into the cabin.

I shot to the kitchen door (live in a bungalow luckily) and flew after this bloke. In hindsight, I should have considered whether some of his mates were lurking in the bushes. Anyway, I managed to catch the b@stard and had a few "chosen words" with him then called the police.

The police carted him off and took some statements. Apparently they'd been groups of lads from a few neighbouring villages stealing and torching cars of the past couple of months - my mum's car was even stolen 6mths previous while she was round visiting.

I didn't bother persuing it any further as he could only have been charged with trespassing (a major crime these days.. NOT) and I was a tad nervous for "having words" with the young chap.

The police were pretty understanding, but if they don't have enough evidence to prosecute, then any lawyers going to get them off pretty easily.

Beating the ca@p out of them is your natural reaction, but it can easily go wrong. All it needed was a few other blokes hiding in the wings and things could have went a bit Pete Tong.

I've since installed some 7ft high gates in the driveway and installed plenty more floodlights, although you can probably see my house from space when the cat's go through the garden at night

Glad you, the family and the car are all OK.

Stefan

Old 08 June 2001, 01:22 PM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Tom if you go after them they may have a shotgun in the car, that's what they seem to be using more and more round here. Police won't do much (I was nearly dragged out of mine in Sheldon not long ago all they did was take a statement, they refused to fingerprint). So what realistically do you do.

Old 08 June 2001, 01:54 PM
spender
Scooby Regular

Squizz, they were on foot so the car reg no was immaterial. I followed and stared at them so they thought that I was the type of bloke who would take the law into his own hands (wouldn't be the first time (alledgedly)).

Movement activated CCT linked to video is currently being procurred
Old 08 June 2001, 01:57 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies and support guys.

Looking back I would've loved to t**t him one, but you never know what might happen, eh?

Anyway no harm done so I'm not too bothered.

Yex,

Reported the last incident to the police, but as I only got a rough description and could not get the make/model/colour of car they weren't all that helpful. To be fair what can they do? Arrest everyone who wears a dark tracksuit? Unfortunately, again couldn't see car as not parked under a light.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 08 June 2001, 02:20 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Wink

May I suggest protection for you car like this:

Old 08 June 2001, 03:34 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

I carry two things at all times for this very eventuality,

i) a small camera so I can photograph the peasant if I need to. The flash of a camera at night should see them running away

and

ii) Whichever car I am driving, I have a large Mag-Lite. If stopped by the police it is a torch in case I break down. If confronted by pond life unless they have a BIG knife ( Lock, Stock size ) or a gun, they are NOT having my car. My torch, maybe, but not my car.
Old 08 June 2001, 04:37 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Stevie, where do you get Mag Lites? are they available from Halfords (cost?)?
Beats carrying a steel claw hammer in the car, as the "I was just on my way to mend a fence" excuse may not float as they remove it from someones head at 2:00am

Old 08 June 2001, 04:38 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Angry

Scum...but they are about and out in force. This we know...

However, I would strongly suggest that anyone who thinks confronting one of these dirty vermin tossers that they consider the likelyhood is they will attempt to hurt you...

I know this comes into "well its my property so I will bloody well protect it" however it only takes one hero to become one cripple when the van full of ****ers get out and give you a pasting. May I suggest Garaging it if you can?

Speak to the local serious crime officers if you can, and tell them "YOU THINK SOMEONE IS TRYING TO PLOT TO STEAL YOUR SUBARU".

Instinct says run after them/kick em/beat em...but you need fear to have courage...and thats what saves your life

Ron
Old 08 June 2001, 04:42 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Baseball bat (dont forget the mitt and ball) and golf clubs could also come in useful

DazW
Old 08 June 2001, 04:52 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

Talk,Talk,Talk
Old 08 June 2001, 04:53 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

IntegraR,

Yes, Halfords do sell them. The larger stores give more choice of colour. They will also have a choice of 3 or 4 cell.

Stevie

Old 08 June 2001, 04:59 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Yeah, true its talk, Ive only had a couple incidents ever where Ive had to use violence relating to cars, as it means you're risking your life (and some lowlifes) for a car, and no matter how much I love cars, it still isnt worth it.
On the other hand, if I ever become involved in a situation I have little control over, I think having some sort of a weapon could be vital in keeping yourself alive, plus it can be used as deterent.

PS: cheers Stevie, Ill check them out.

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 08 June 2001).]
Old 08 June 2001, 05:02 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

No matter how much it hurts to admit it Ronnie's cautionary advice is very wise.

Mossman

I'd appreciate it if you could mail me the addy for Rhino Posts to the address on my profile

DJ
Old 08 June 2001, 05:14 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

DJ,

You have mail.

Mossman
Have a great weekend everyone! (signing out from work right now!)
Old 08 June 2001, 05:25 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Call Mr. Two Jabs / Two Jags.

He will soon sort them out and not be in court.

Old 09 June 2001, 12:24 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Where is the best place to store a mag-lite (a 4*D-cell) in a Scooby?

In my previous car (an MGF) it stowed nicely in the drivers seat pocket.

My MY00 is rather lacking in similar placed though!

mb
Old 09 June 2001, 10:08 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ozzy,

Respect.

MB

Old 09 June 2001, 10:48 AM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

Smile

Definately go with the large Mag Lite idea. I think the big ones are about 40 quid from Halfords from memory.

They are also quite useful as a torch

[This message has been edited by Weaver (edited 09 June 2001).]
Old 09 June 2001, 05:54 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation

Tom

Any thoughts this character might have been a spook or special branch or the like? He seems to have been remarkably cool & collected. Was he actively cruisin' your car?

Prehaps it might be an idea to check out your neighbours - never know who might be around...

Probably another good reason to not go & beat the cr@p out of him - only works if you're that villain in the Brinks Mat bullion robbery ( ).
Old 09 June 2001, 07:27 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

As it looks like your car is on someones wish list, how about a tracker unit, even the basic one?
Mag Lights are very good for seeing in the dark. Its a shame the big ones are a about a foot long and very heavy.
Ive always got a camera to hand, so I could go out and take a picture....

Old 09 June 2001, 11:22 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

PTMW,

I assume he was actively cruisin' as he was dressed in dark tracksuit with beenie hat and had torch. The last one who I saw when I was sat on my window sill smoking a *** was also very cool. Shone torch in my eyes and calmly walked back to the car. I imagine, to them, it is far better to keep quiet and calmly walk off.

With regards to him being special branch, I doubt it. Also aren't S.B. based in N. Ireland - to do with the IRA??

Not too fussed about it though as they still need to actually nick it and I can't see that happening, if you know what I mean

Cheers,
Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Evans (edited 09 June 2001).]
Old 10 June 2001, 07:58 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Stevie:
<B>IntegraR,

Yes, Halfords do sell them. The larger stores give more choice of colour. They will also have a choice of 3 or 4 cell.

Stevie

[/quote]

You call THAT a torch!!??

Go for one of the 6 cell ones. About £30. As for where to store it, mine is in the rear passenger footwell behind my seat(tucked under the rubber mat to stop it rolling around).

Should you have to go after someone with it, turn it round the other way with the lens your end and hold it behind the head so you have something to hold on to it by and Johny Crimboy ****** doesn't........
Old 10 June 2001, 08:00 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Oh, and thinking about it, get yourself one of the 1 million candlepower rechargeable NiteTracker lights - and if it happens again you can go out, and when he shines his torch in your face, you can stick yours in HIS face and say "you call THAT a torch" etc.....and watch his retinas blister

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bloke with torch looking at Scoob