Sponsored by:

Wacky's STI Is Here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2002, 10:43 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

The beast is here. Arrived on Saturday afternoon, didn't get my first drive until late Sunday (don't ask, it's a long story).

First impressions of the car have been very, very good (have driven demo cars before). Build quality is striking, and light years ahead of my MY2000, good car as that was.

Shut the doors and you get a Germanic thud. There is absolutely NO wind noise from the frameless windows. How they have achieved that I do not know. There is a solidity about the whole car that is both reassuring and pleasing.

The six-speed gearbox does take a little getting used to; however I am beginning to get the hang of it. When driving the car it feels really solid and planted. Suspension is firm but pliant. I can feel everything that's going on, roadwise, because the chassis is so communicative.

Acceleration, albeit limited to 4.5K revs for now, just brings a smile to the face. I can't wait until I can take the shackles off after the first service. Make no mistake, this is a bl$$dy good car!

The headlamps are an improvement over the MY2K version (thanks for the advise, Dave TS) and I have decided to keep them. The plan was to augment them with Scooby driving lamps, however the jury is out on that for now.

There are so many little things that make owning this car such a pleasurable experience, eg the logical interior lighting (stays on until you have put your keys into the ignition), the fact that the ignition key-well lights up so you can see where the key goes (lurvly), the variable speed intermittent wipers, etc. Remember this is a Scooby, not renowned for interior largesse or creature comforts!

The seats are grippy and hug you in all the right places (ooer missus). Absolutely NOTHING rattles in this car (is this a first?)

Took the beast to TSL on Monday for them to weave their engineering magic and hoodoo, to my specification. These guys are something else.

Despite the challenge I set them to undertake a shedload of work on the car they still had it ready by 6pm the same day. Trouser commented that they have never done so much work on a car in a single day. Thanks chaps for a cracking job.

With my wallet now considerably lighter, and that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach now receding after I saw the bill, I am really beginning to enjoy the car. I will post some pictures up in gallery at the weekend for you lot to have a gander at.

To anyone who is thinking of buying an STi7, whether it is a UK or JDM car (mine is a UK) go out and do it. Don't be put off by the looks as to do so would be to miss out on what this car is really all about.

There is only one word I can use to describe this latest incarnation of the iconic Scooby, and that word is.......... AWESOME!

Thanks to various people on this board who took the time to answer a shedload of questions off-line, and helped me to make a brilliant buying decision.

WB

Old 09 July 2002, 10:51 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took the beast to TSL on Monday for them to weave their engineering magic and hoodoo, to my specification. These guys are something else.

Despite the challenge I set them to undertake a shedload of work on the car they still had it ready by 6pm the same day. Trouser commented that they have never done so much work on a car in a single day. Thanks chaps for a cracking job.

With my wallet now considerably lighter, and that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach now receding after I saw the bill, I am really beginning to enjoy the car. I will post some pictures up in gallery at the weekend for you lot to have a gander at.
What did you get done at TSL then?

Nick
Old 09 July 2002, 11:21 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Wacky,

Know how you feel, picked up my Blue/Black STI Prodrive last friday, and compared to my '01wrx it waaaaaay better.

400 miles to go
Old 09 July 2002, 11:36 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

WB, Welcome aboard sir

STi7 0wnage, it is much better screwed together than even my 01 car, dunno how/why buts theres no doubt about it.

Please enlighten us about the TSL work

Old 09 July 2002, 11:45 PM
BOBBY G
Scooby Regular

Hi Wacky,

I have had my blue/black STI for a month now. It is now run-in and ready to play.......and boy oh boy is it worth the wait!!!!!
I get excited near work finishing time because i know that i get to drive the beasty!
I am smitten with the car.....first scoob for me......and it is indeed Awesome. Soon you will learn the shear devastating effect of 4th gear wallop!!!! (not that the other gears aren't pant wettingly good!)

Bob.
Old 10 July 2002, 12:20 AM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

It only gets better laddie.

Dave Allan
Old 15 July 2002, 12:41 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Cool

Aye up, the pictures I promised are now in the gallery.

Enjoy.

Another 700 miles to go before she gets a pasting.

Cheers

WB (salivating, raring to go...)
Old 15 July 2002, 01:00 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just remembered, the changes to the car are as follows:

- TSL Group N rear box and centre section decat
- ITG Filter
- Aero Kit all round
- Set of Forged alloy 18's with Toyo Proxy's (the difference in handling that this combination makes is mind blowing. I have gone from wheels that weighed approx 13Kg to these weighing 7Kg)
- Lexus Style Rear Clusters
- Smoked indicators
- GRP Wing Vents
- Boot Spoiler Extenders.
- Electric window lifts linked to the alarm/door closure (means I can shut the windows by just firing the alarm fob. Cue for a song,...."Lazy")

Have had the wheels aligned. Interestingly while the tracking was spot on some of the other measures were way out. An example of this is that the front axle left toe camber was +1.6mm and the right -0.8mm. After adjustment these both went to +0.44mm.

Remember, this car was but a day old when the work was done, ie factory fresh & straight out the box. Defies belief.

There's more work to be done underneath the engine bay (all will be revealed in due course) and the stereo needs to be ditched in favour of something decent.

Will let you know how I get on.

As I said before, this car is AWESOME. Have started to lose track already of the number of car buffs I have met in the few miles driven so far who know their STi's and want chapter & verse from me.

I don't have a problem chin wagginging all day to anyone who will listen, however the missus is getting right pi$$ed off having to push a trolley round Tesco's on her own while I talk cars (hehehe).

Adios.

WB