Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you hear if your big end is about to give up??

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2002, 06:36 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked up my96 WRX from Subaru service. The report said "Noisy Engine". So I obviously enquired what this meant. The Subaru technician started the engine and revved the throttle and pointed out that the noise was rattley at the high revs.

Well I did sort of hear something but I couldnt describe it. I asked what he thought was happening- He said that he thinks that the big end or little end are about to give. He went on to explain that he had heard engines like this before they gave out. He went on to offer to change the oil from the 5w40 to 10w40 saying that this will probably help!!

Obviously very worried now !! anyone ever hear a boxer engine before it gives up?? Can any of my Northern mates offer any help i.e listen to my engine.

The car is on 61000 miles - no engine mods at all - run on optimax
Old 09 July 2002, 08:43 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

anyone any comments!!

mods move this to drivetrain if you wish
Old 09 July 2002, 09:04 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Wink

As an ex marine engineer with 12 yrs experience the noise made by big ends is very pronounced..almost a hard metallic banging noise. Evident even on tick over and will worsen as the oil temp increases.

Small end noise is also distinct and pronounced and vcan be heard well and easily if the engine is hot. I suggest you have your oil pressure monitored and you'll see it plumment almost to nothing if you big ends were about or are about to let go.
Old 09 July 2002, 09:09 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

The only thing i can say, that if you can hear your big ends, its too late. The noise doesnt really seem to appear gradually. Dont drive on, and at least with some machining, the crank/rods may be salvagable. I drove mine easy when they went ( actually drove about 10 miles...lol ) and the crank was scrap. I had a spare, so wasnt too worried, but I couldnt stop the car, didnt want to risk gettin stopped by the scum, it hadnt been taxed for 4 years..
Old 09 July 2002, 09:59 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

The thing is I dont think the car is making any other sounds to what it used to! i really need an expert to have a listen because I really didnt notice anything.
Stevie and Mark I gather the sounds you describe are really pronounced I mean as in something sounds definetly wrong. There is nothing like a banging more of a raspy type sound with the revs on. I asked the subaru bod if it was the heat shield but he said no as he fixed it again.
Im going to get a second opinion somewhere hopefully.