Sponsored by:

STi Beats 330i Sport and 156 GTA - Autocar Verdict

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2002, 11:35 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Autocar are the most inconsistent car testing mag out. They didn't rate the WRX or STi when they first drove them and now they love them.

In the space of less than two months they have changed their mind about the GTA

Brakes were criticised in the original test but praised in this weeks test.

1st test "has been kept soft and supple,soaking up sharp intrusions and leaving the cabin quiet"

2nd test "A hard ride makes all low speed activity a trying experience"

1st test"We always seem to criticise cars for steering feel but the GTA shows how it should be done"

2nd test"There isn`t much feedback"

I could go on but I dont know why I bother with Autocar and Evo's going the same way as well.

Test driving the GTA in about three weeks so I'll let everyone know what I think.

Lee

[Edited by logiclee - 7/4/2002 11:39:57 PM]
Old 04 July 2002, 09:48 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Surprised that no-one seems to have picked up on this one. Would have posted earlier this week - but just been too busy....

This week's Autocar (p42) tests the new Alfa 156 GTA with 250hp. Conclusion is that its chassis and dynamics are flawed (what a surprise) - especially at £26900 list. Autocar awards just five stars (out of ten).

BMW 330i Sport gets seven stars. But, the road tester's choice is the STi7 with eight stars. Conclusion - 'an astonishing all-rounder. ....Our current class champ'

Oh - and the Evo 7 gets seven stars.....

About time Steve Sutcliffe started appreciating things on our side of the fence!

Old 04 July 2002, 10:57 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

And so it should!

MB
Old 04 July 2002, 11:14 PM
Stevethevet
Scooby Regular

Never thought we'd see the day!
Old 05 July 2002, 12:57 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Did they not test a JDM version of the STi7? a GL? one without the suretrac diffs?
If so then the conclusion is correct and the UK car is better as the handling is more balanced and it is a great car after all

Tony
Old 05 July 2002, 02:54 AM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

If you wanna laugh post the results to the BMW guys on BM3W. Went to a meet a couple of weeks back with a mate and never laughed so much so when one guy said, "I'm not taking my M5 down the 1/4mile coz I have'nt got crash insurance".... hence I did try and go in the opposite direction as him home, afterall if he cant keep his car in a straight line I'm not going anywhere near...

Could only be beat by the amount of fellas with there new M3's refusing to try a run just incase there brand spanking new 45k cars "broke". This amazed spesh when they said there warranty would be void'd if they were up against another car... Like you'd tell him when you took back to the dealer... MIND YOU THEY DO DRIVE BMW'S.
Old 05 July 2002, 08:04 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Angry

Dazza

Nice informed post.

Youll find a lot of people at BM3W have at one stage owned a Scooby. Obviously all owners of brand new UK STI are happy to rag their cars up the 1/4 mile. I think not. Youll also find that Scooby owners wont go on track incase their dealers find out.
The number of Scooby owners that are scared just to dyno their car is high as well.

Yes their are k**** that own BMW's, but Ive met my fair share of Scooby ones as well. When people might have saved up everything for a few years they have every right not to want to thrash the crap out of their new car on the 1/4 mile.

Jonathan
Old 05 July 2002, 08:24 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Autocar ARE inconsistant

They gave the Sti-7 4 stars and called it the best ever impreza. Clearly not as both the standard MY01 and Mk1 got 5 stars. They said it was the price and value for money that caused it to lose the star and yet in the same review praised it's 'value for money' and keen pricing

Personally I use car mags to narrow down the choices to 3 or 4 then rely on my own roadtests and opinions. I'd never just buy a car on the back of a mag review and not test drive a few alternatives.
Old 05 July 2002, 10:04 AM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

I think both Autocar and Evo raved about the 156 GTA on first drives - there was hope that a decent fast alternative to fit between the quality over engineered Germans and Banzai bang per buck Japanese.
Since then its come back as flawed, its a shame but my theory is the first tests were on carefully selected (by Alfa) smooth continental roads that seemed to flatter the 156.
Old 05 July 2002, 10:57 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
just wonderd what k**** stood for
Old 05 July 2002, 11:39 AM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Yeah but if you read Auto Express they just voted the Alfa the best car over the MG ZT190 (Fair Enough) STI 7 , Evo 7 and the BMW M5? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

What the F**K are these people on?

I think they should rename there mag Womans Weekly!

Ali
Old 05 July 2002, 01:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

As far as Auto Express is concerned, I reckon it's a refreshing change not to see them praising ANY F*rd as the ultimate in it's class. I do remember the Puma Racing being "better" than a Scooby, and I've lost count of the times they've said that the F*cus C*sworth will leave Scooby's eating it's dust........that's if F*rd can ever make one for the road!!!!!
Old 05 July 2002, 04:10 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Johnathan what car are you in at thr moment mate.
Old 05 July 2002, 05:23 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

The problem with mags is that they always need a comparative. So, in the Focus' case, it will always be the Impreza, because it's the vehicle that most readers can relate to in terms of ability etc.

Anyway, good to see that the STi beat the Evo7!!
Old 07 July 2002, 08:19 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Most the mags raved about the Alfa GTA at launch and most of them have since said - potentially great car not suited to British roads.

And what about EVO magazine - I thought everyone here worshipped that one - they give the BMW 5 stars (correctly IMHO) and the STi 7 4 stars (a bit mean IMHO).

Oh well......
Old 07 July 2002, 09:09 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

You're wrong, "evo" gave the STI type-UK 5 stars!!!