ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Deleted Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2002, 07:10 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All

A thread was just deleted about poor service from a dealer. If the poster would like to reword it without stating anything that is not an absolute fact and in an informative way please feel free to post a new thread about it.

PLEASE PLEASE let's not start a freedom of speech or "I saw it and didn't think there was anything wrong with it" or "well how are we supposed to know who is good and who is bad" thread... see the above paragraph... it can all be said, just statements like ****eg**** "company x as crap" are not allowed as they are not actually made of crap.

All the best

webmaster
Old 04 July 2002, 07:25 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Missed that one - wasn't about me was it
Old 04 July 2002, 07:43 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

I saw it and I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. That's the problem with this country - fascist webmasters...

Kidding. Jeez.
Old 05 July 2002, 12:19 AM
gaz1048
Scooby Regular

It was me! I have never had a thread delelted on any bbs before.

If I remember I failed to say anything about the company as if it was fact i.e libel, I merely commented on the serviced received from my point of view, i.e opinion. I did qoute certain things that were said but they were actually said!

I remember about 8 months again researching this and I posted a definition of libel and it's forms, impacts on BBS's and scoobynet. Bottom line was that opinion stated as such is opinion and cannot be libellous otherwise we would be sued for having ANY opinion. Opinion stated as fact could be, I stress could be, as it depends on the exact language used, the level of reasonableness used, the percieved authority of the author and the relative knowledge/impressionabilty of the reader.

For example

I don't like the taste of macdonalds BigMac - Opinion, no libel

All burgers sold by Miss X have botulism, I know I worked there - Libel if and only if they are proved not to all contain botulism.

I didn't receive good service when I went into a shop - Opinion.

All services done by car shop x use cheap oil and charge for expensive oils - Libel is and only if they garage prove they don't.

Please let this thread run. I do appreciate you are doing this to protect this BBS. I would have modified the thread within your criteria if I had the chance, I think bad service is a blight of this country and this industry, I think this BBS should serve a purpose to make more people complain when they get bad service. We shouldn't be afraid of criticising abd service.

My thread was not libellous. I know a bit about it and I did not do anything that would or ever has been considered libellous in the relevent jurisdiction i.e UK.

Gaz
Old 05 July 2002, 10:20 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Gaz

My advisors / lawyers disagree with you. You did not just state opinions, and the things you stated as facts were not just what was said / things that were true.

In fact you made certain statements which I can honestly say are definitely not true.

This is not to say that you didn't receive bad service from this company, but merely that some of the things you stated were not facts.

Unfortunately we do this debate over and over again so I must remember to do a standard explanation to point to each time. But there is not time to ask you to amend the post as we have to show due diligence in removing it as soon as we notice it.

All the best

Simon
Old 05 July 2002, 10:29 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

actually gaz... I don't think it WAS you that posted the deleted thread???