Sponsored by:

Institute of Advanced Motorists ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2001, 12:22 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grant,

Have you bought their book that is available. It should cover what is needed to be learn't.

Have you joined a local IAM group. They have trained instructors who can asses and teach you the new skills and what is required for the test.

Another good book to read is 'RoadCraft, The Police Drivers Handbook'

Certainly made think more about my driving.

I looked into the IAM a couple of years back, but I was to susceptible to provocation and the red mist. A couple of years down the line (26 now) I am chilling nicely and don't rise to the bait nearly as much. So much so that my brother has offered to buy me a pipe and slippers for Christmas.
But the old lead boot does still come out for play where appropriate.

P.
Old 03 June 2001, 11:13 AM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

I have coming up in the next few weeks the test for the IAM and could do with a little advice from anyone who has taken it recently.

Having taken my original test 21 years ago and having picked up millions of bad habits am not sure what they are looking for.

And has anyone had a reduction in their insurance policy after notofying them of a pass.

Grant
Old 03 June 2001, 07:05 PM
rnr
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

On my quotes not very many gave a reducton at all.Some preferd Pass Plus - don't get it?Rich
Old 03 June 2001, 08:49 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Grant

I have sat the IAM test and the RoSPA test twice (2nd time for a commercial vehicle). Of the 2 I preferred the RoSPA test. Both roughly last 1.5 hours and cover all manners of 'normal' driving. The IAM is basically a 'pass' or 'fail', but RoSPA issue a Gold, Silver or Bronze pass or, a fail. I was the training officer for my local IAM group for a couple of years, and they do tend to be 'clicky' and offer no real benefits. One of the few insurers that offered a discount (20%) was Cornhill, but they were always 50% more expensive than everyone else to start with .

Examiners seem to vary enormously, from very old "I would like a nice Sunday driving experience Mr Booth" (Usually IAM) to "Let's have a smooth, safe but progressive, enjoyable drive" (Usually RoSPA). The difference is due to the fact that RoSPA tend to use the services of serving Police Officers who are naturally more aware of 'normal' driving in modern Britain.

The other major difference is that once you have passed the IAM test that's it, job done. However, with RoSPA your certificate/membership is only valid for 3 years. This involves taking a refresher test, which ain't a bad thing.

IMHO it is about time at least one type of advanced driving test was made compulsory for all drivers, though I still feel that the initial driving test is woefully inadequate. Why can't we all be taught advanced driving techniques in the first place? 'Roadcraft' is an excellent book but not an easy read. It is thought provoking and raises more questions than it answers. There are a lot of grey areas, and the book is not intended for use as a 'Bible of Driving'.

Hope that helps. BTW do you know Melanie?

TONY

[This message has been edited by tonybooth (edited 03 June 2001).]
Old 03 June 2001, 09:03 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

I`ve passed both my bike & car tests with the IAM & yes they usually do give you a discount on your insurance or at least make you a better risk.
Old 03 June 2001, 11:12 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Tony for the feedback.

But Melanie?

Grant
Old 04 June 2001, 11:43 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Wink

Grant

Sorry mate, I was referring to Melanie, 20 from Watford, my favourite page 3 girl

TONY

Trending Topics

Old 04 June 2001, 10:31 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tony

Very very sad.
Old 04 June 2001, 11:51 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Grant

The great think about running a distribution company is that you can catch a glimpse of The Sun (Only for the sport though ) without actually having the shame of buying it, as at least one of the lads in the warehouse always gets it. As for Melanie, well I guess you have never seen her, otherwise you would have not referred to me as 'very, very sad'.

Good luck with the test BTW.

TONY